1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Roundup 4/14 (Hayao Miyazaki Week!)

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by David Lambert, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Andrea Whitlock
    Does Best Buy have a 3 for $20 deal going on?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Re: Best Buy 3 of $20

Yep, click here for details. Some of the titles:

Legends of the Fall
    Sleepless in Seattle
    A League of Their Own
    A River Runs Through It
    Bear in the Big Blue House
    As Good As It Gets
    Silverado
    Rudy
    Care Bears 2
    Dragontales

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Just bought all 3 Ghibli titles (already have Mononoke) and
    there is a label on the boxes offering a $4 rebate if you buy 2 of the 3 Ghibli titles (Kiki, Castle in the Sky, or Spirited Away),

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Anyone have any luck finding the Chubb Chubbs? None of the BB's or CC's are stocking this DVD in my area. I don't want to go Amazon (11-15 day shipping delay [​IMG] ). I was hoping I'd be able to pick it up locally, but seems no one is stocking it.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I opened Kiki and found a $2 off rebate... but NOT MAIL IN! It has barcodes for scanning...

So I am going to say that you will need to buy one of the titles, rip 'er open, get the coupon, double back and buy another DVD, rip 'er open, and return a third time to the register to get a total of $4 off.

I could have read it wrong... but this is not good for us that bought all of them in one transaction [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

9. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

My Best Buy didn't have any Kiki on display. Oddly, they had very little Spirited Away either, but a solid number of both Castle and Mononoke.

I brought Castle, Mononoke, and Spirited over to a media guy, who immediately said "Kiki?" and brought me to a small stash behind a lookup terminal. I led another frustrated customer to the stash.

10. Andrea W

Andrea Whitlock

11. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Circuit City in Yonkers, NY had squat. No Ran Masterworks Edition. No Kiki's Delivery Service. No Castle in the Sky. Only 2 copies of Spirited Away. Had to ask for Family Guy and was told I was getting the last copy. Boy talk about being prepaired. Thankfully I pre-ordered online and will have them all within a few days. I wasn't even gonna try Best Buy.

12. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

My local Best Buy had all the Miyazaki DVDs in stock, but I was looking for Cube: Signature Series and Cube 2: Hypercube instead. Best Buy had no copies of each. So I walked next door to Borders. No copies of the Cube DVDs either. So then I went to Circuit City, and like always, they have shit.

Then I went to Tower Records and they had both on sale (Cube for $14.99 and Cube 2 for $19.99). Tower was selling out of the DVDs pretty quick (all the people in front of me in line had copies in their hand), so if you want them, get them now as everybody wants them [​IMG] (that or maybe all the people who just went to Best Buy, Borders, and Circuit City and found no copies all just decided to go to Tower).

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm

14. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

That is the question, isn't it? And I have asked it myself here, not so long ago. When S3 BUFFY came out, Los Angeles Best Buy stores basically didn't have any. One BB I visited said they had ordered plenty, but only got 30 copies which were all sold in the first hour they were open. The other stores I checked said they never got any copies. After trying to get it from them for about two weeks -- with no luck -- I just gave up and ordered on-line.

So, if anyone can explain this, I would love to hear how this happens. It's not like the people who manufacture these things haven't know for months how many orders they had to fill. This pretty much soured me on B&M stores for any big releases. I am not driving around madly after work on another Tuesday trying to find something. If the stores do not have what I want on the Saturday of release week, I will just order on-line.

Deborah

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I will say this on behalf of Best Buy regarding Buffy:

TV on DVD is a fairly new concept. New enough that their growing "TV on DVD" section has only been around several months. Since boxed sets, even reasonably priced ones like Buffy, carry a large risk, they order conservatively.

I think when they see that 30 sell out in an hour that season 4 will see a much larger initial order. However, you'd think that they'd learn that lesson from season 2 to season 3 instead.

I'd be more floored that they only had 5 copies left of Spirited Away if Disney had actually done any serious promotion on the title theatrically or on DVD.

16. Andrea W

Andrea Whitlock
    If you're buying the three Miyazaki titles, don't buy them all at the same time. I did only to find a coupon inside each for $2 off either of the other two. Damn it. Buy one, go through the line, open it up, get the coupon, buy the others.

17. Andrea W

Andrea Whitlock

18. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

John,

What you say would make sense if these Best Buy stores hadn't ordered adequate numbers of the BUFFY release, but the stores all said they had done so! They just did not receive what they ordered. It was the same week that Road to Perdition came out (or perhaps it was another big picture release -- can't remember) and the sales clerk at one store told me that they had not received a single copy, despite having ordered hundreds of them. They were just as frustrated as I was and I cannot think of an explanation for there being a shortage of any of these things. That is what is so mysterious.

Deborah

19. Roger_C

Roger_C Stunt Coordinator

FYI-Target has The Transporter for $14.99

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Well, I took a chance and made the trek to Best Buy...and they had all four Ghibli titles! [​IMG] Though they did have noticably fewer copies of "Kiki" than the others. I assume everyone's checking for these in the Anime section (not the kids section)? [​IMG]

My Best Buy has also started setting up folding tables near the cash registers with copies of all the new release/sale items stacked on them. Presumably, this allows people to skip in-and-out quickly just to buy the new releases without combing the shelves for a half-hour. There were copies of all except "Kiki" on this table (and only about 5 copies of Kiki on the Anime shelf).