What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/14 (Hayao Miyazaki Week!) (2 Viewers)

Mark<>Tsc

Grip
Went to the local Best Buy (Pasadena, CA) for the Miyazaki
titles. They had plenty of all three new releases (especially Kiki) but were out of Princess M.

Luckily, I got the manager to sign a rain check that gives me the free PM when it comes in later in the week.

:emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Note that when I went into Costco to get my $34.99 copy of Family Guy, they had all 3 of the Miyazaki titles for $18.29 each...gobs of them! Kiki was tucked behind Castle in a 2-row display, but there were at least a couple dozen of each title.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just buy "Men in Black 2." It's a better value since you get "The Chubb Chubbs" plus a whole extra movie as a bonus feature.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that what is referred to as "The special animated short" under Disk #1 on the back cover?

Peace Out~
go to local blockbuster were all used dvd's are 9.99.
if you know someone who works there it's 20% cheaper.

so you could get the men in black II for less then $9.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, I just got done cancelling my Miyazaki pre-orders at Amazon.ca. Luckily they were being held by another item not shipping until next week, because...

Our local Wal-Mart had all three Miyazaki titles for $14.77 apiece!!

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Bought the first one with the $3 coupon from my TV Guide, and then did the "take out to car, rip it open, grab $2 coupon, head back inside, use coupon to buy another Miyazaki" routine twice.

Bottom line: $12.44 apiece, or 59% off list!!

Best Buy had only a few copies of Spirited Away, and were out of the other two, but Wal-Mart had plenty of stock on all three.

Picked up some more of those $5.88 specials as well. Wally World wins big this week! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian E

Screenwriter
Bought my Miyazaki's at, of all places, Suncoast. They had each for $19.99 then the cases had a coupon attached to get $4 off when buying two. Lastly they were also doing the same thing BB is with the free Mononoke (don't know what I'll do with it yet). Add to that I got double points (Tuesdays in April) and bonus points (new releases & editors pick) and I think it works out good. My main motivation for stopping there was having $20 in GC's for there though. Turned out to be a better deal than I expected from them. No rebate inside the cases, just a $2 off coupon.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
My local Wal-Mart (Corona, CA) came through again on this week's new releases:

$13.88 each for the following titles:

Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Castle in the Sky
Drumline
The Transporter

They had plenty of each title in stock.

Picked-up Spirited Away & The Transporter.

Thanks Dave for the Weekly Update - your hard work is appreciated.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I bought Drumline at Target for $14.99 (they had plenty of widescreen copies) and then I bought Family Guy for $34.99 at Costco.

I'm also getting a few more releases this week from Deep Discount DVD: A Chorus Line, Psych-Out/The Trip, Cube: Signature Series, and Breakin 2. They had the cheapest prices on these. Only $9.12 shipped for the MGM titles!

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I went to my local BB to pick up the Miyazaki set, and even though they had big signs saying they should be out, they didn't have any of the three new releases on the shelves. I found one of the flunkies, and they checked the computer and said they had 50+ copies of SA in stock and led me back to Anime, where I was standing when I asked her for help. Of course, they weren't there. She went and asked someone else, and they said they were all back-ordered. I hate Best Buy!!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The east side Madison WI Best Buy had a ton of all of the Miyazaki titles still last night. Spirited Away was in both the new releases section and in anime; the other 3 were only in the anime section but they filled an entire shelf each.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads up Craig!!

My walmart has each of the 3 discs for $14.76 minus my $3 coupons my total came to

Mr. Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Is it possible to use both the in-box coupon for $2 off and the $3 off magazine coupon for the Miyazaki titles?

Thanks,

Brian

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Brian,

I think that's entirely a YMMV issue...the number of Miyazaki releases, combined with the permutations of coupon availability vs. coupon acceptance has been very confusing to both consumer and retailer.

At the Target I visit, Spirited Away had a sticker stating $4 off instantly with other Miyazaki purchase, but the sticker/coupon with barcode was oddly missing on all copies (ripped off?). However, on the Kiki's disc, the $4 sticker was still attached.

So I was able to use the $4 coupon and was fortunate that the cashier accepted the $3 magazine coupons along with the $2 coupon located inside the disc (first purchased Kiki's & Spirited Away, then opened Kiki's for the $2 coupon inside the disc and applied to Castle in the Sky purchase).

In the end, I left Target after paying $15 for each Miyazaki film (after my wife's employee discount was applied). Not too bad, but confusing.

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
Got Family Guy for $31.72 from Amazon.com. "Shipped" yesterday and I received it this morning from the USPS. Never would I have dreamed that such a show like that would come to DVD-land...

Matthew Furtek

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
BestBuy in Montgommeryville PA has a bunch of Spirited Away, but only a handfull left of Kiki's and Castle in the Sky. I doubt they'll last through the weekend.

Spirited Away was in the New Releases section, but the others were all in the Anime section.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Thanks again David for all the work you put into this.
Thanks Bob for the heads up on the TV Guide coupon. I scored the coupon from my mother-in-law.

I just went to Wal-Mart after seeing some of you guys posting the low prices they had on the Miyazaki DVDs.
However as usual none of the local Wal-Marts have the low prices you mention. $19.99 here. Must be a regional thing.

Anyway I did get them to match Best Buy's price for Spirited Away + used the $3 off TV Guide coupon which brought it down $14.99 + tax. Not bad at all.

I love Anime & missed seeing Spirited Away in theaters. I can't wait to check out the DVD.

Todd

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bill Gato
Thanks again David for all the work you put into this.
Ahhh...I think that's everyone. Forgive me if I take a moment and bask in the glow.

I want to say a hearty "You're Welcome!" to everyone, and to say THANKS to each and every one of you who take a moment each week to express sentiments like these. It really does make it worthwhile! :)

I will see you on Sunday as usual. If you are celebrating a holiday this weekend or even just taking some time off this weekend to get away from it all, then I hope that you enjoy it! Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.