What's new

Weekly Roundup 12/31 (& 1/1) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit.
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb
The Barbershop____________$20.24__$14.99__$14.99__$16.69__$18.48
Hey Arnold! The Movie_____$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Star Trek TNG: Season 7___$99.99__$99.99_$149.98__$89.99__$89.96
Stingray: Complete Series_$74.96__$69.99__$99.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
xXx - WS__________________$18.17__$14.99__$14.99__$17.49__$19.37
[/c]
* BE CAREFUL! xXx is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.
* Note that the controversial film The Barbershop has an actual release date of 1/1/03 (Wednesday), not the usual Tuesday (or occasional Friday) street date. Also be aware that rumors have reached me that this title is delayed further, despite being advertised in everyone's weekly sales flyers, and that it won't hit stores unil 1/14/03. I cannot find any verification of that, so I think someone's been smoking a bit too much peyote! But if this comes to pass, you heard it here first, okay? ;)
* Don't be fooled by going to BestBuy.com online and seeing a price there of $14.39 for xXx...that is due to an online-only sale of 20% off of all Columbia-TriStar products. You can, of course, order it online and mark it for in-store pickup to save the extra cash. But I expect Best Buy's in-store sale price to be $14.99, even though their weekly circular only says "Hot Price". You will also get a free metal keychain, attached to the box, while supplies last...in-store only.
* Since I mentioned BestBuy.com there, I'll briefly mention that - now that the holidays are pretty much over - they have re-instated the "Free Shipping On Anything" policy. After I ordered something! :rolleyes:Time to call customer service...
* Another Best Buy in-store special this week (assuming it streets on time for 1/1) is The Barbershop on sale at $14.99. If you want, you may also buy at the same time the title What's The Worst That Can Happen? for just $4.99 (must be purchased on the same transaction).
* All good things come to an end this week, as we Trekkies finish up our incredible year-long run of exciting Star Trek: The Next Generation season set releases! Season 7 hits this week, and as usual the best price is to be had at Costco for $89.99...but those who are willing to spend $10 more for it at Best Buy (or sister stores Suncoast, MediaPlay, Sam Goody, etc.) will get an exclusive bonus DVD disc with two extra behind-the-scenes featurettes: "Special Profiles" (John de Lancie discusses his character "Q", Majel Barrett-Roddenberry comments on her role as Lwaxana, and Jonathan Del Arco talks about reprising his role of Hugh in "Descent") and "Dressing the Future" (Costume designer Bob Blackman discusses Star Trek costumes and Marina Sirtis provides an exclusive tour of the wardrobe department). These are more for the die-hard fans (like me), but it is still a great price for anyone who is not a Costco (or Sam's Club) member. Here's what the bonus DVD looks like:

* Target has The Barbershop for $14.99, and you can save $3 more if you buy at the same time either Legally Blonde or The Princess Bride. xXx is shown in the ad for an unspecified "Low Price" (probably $14.99), and Hey Arnold! The Movie is shown at $19.99. Target also has some nice after-holiday prices for discs on the cheap, which you can find listed here (examples include titles for just $7.99 each, like Rudy, Ghostbusters, Dirty Dancing, Spaceballs, A League of Their Own, Roxanne, When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, & Charlie's Angels).
* K-Mart's ad's only new release title is xXx for $19.95, which is hardly the best price in town. However, run in there anyway and check out many of the super-low discs they are selling off for $5.99 and $9.99, but in low quantity (no more than 5 copies of any one title). Some of the $5.99 stuff includes titles like The Poseidon Adventure, Wing Commander, Grand Canyon, Diner, Inventing the Abbots, Slums of Beverly Hills, Final Stab, Drive Me Crazy, The Newton Boys, Running on Empty, & Smilla's Sense of Snow. Thanks to "Missy" for e-mailing me the information, who seemed happier with some of the $9.99 titles she snagged, like Romancing The Stone, My Cousin Vinny, Big, & Broken Arrow! :)
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
•• Bomb Squad $19.95 $14.95
•• Brokedown Palace $19.98 $9.98
•• Change Of Habit $24.98 $14.98
•• Darkdrive $24.98 $14.95
•• Deadlock $19.95 $14.95
•• Elvis: His Best Friend Remembers $19.98 $14.98
•• Evil Sister 2 $19.95 $14.95
•• Firestorm $14.98 $9.98
•• Gonin (Leo) $19.95 $14.95
•• Ice Storm $24.98 $9.98
•• Inventing The Abbotts $24.98 $9.98
•• Killers (1996) $24.98 $14.95
•• Newton Boys $14.98 $9.98
•• No Telling $29.95 $19.98
•• Norma Rae $24.98 $9.98
•• Obsession Kills $19.95 $14.95
•• Place Without Limits (El Lugar Sin Limites) $29.95 $19.98
•• Poseidon Adventure $14.98 $9.98
•• Quills (Special Edition) $19.98 $9.98
•• Rangers (Special Edition) $14.98 $9.98
•• Ravenous (Special Edition) $14.98 $9.98
•• Sea Devils $19.95 $14.95
•• Shark $19.95 $14.95
•• Showdown (Special Edition) $24.98 $14.95
•• Slums Of Beverly Hills $24.98 $9.98
•• Stingers $19.95 $14.95
•• Strange Case Of Senor Computer (Special Edition) $29.95 $19.98
•• Wing Commander $14.98 $9.98
•• Witch Hunter $19.95 $14.95
•• Women (1997/ a.k.a. Nashim) $29.95 $19.98
(I think some of those - like Poseidon Adventure & Wing Commander - where shown as marked down the other week, but if they are appearing all over again on the VideoTropic list, please forgive me as I merely cut-and-paste it! Most of these ARE new, though. By-the-way, feel free to visit their wonderful site and see all the other things they have to offer: news, online coupons, lists of upcoming markdowns, release dates, reviews, etc. The link is ALWAYS at the top of my "latest markdowns" listings in each Roundup.)
That's it for now, gals and guys. HAPPY NEW YEAR!, and be safe...please!

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Not to nitpick or anything but you can order XXX on Bestbuy.com for $14.39 with free shipping. (A savings of $.60-it helps) I am not sure if the savings will translate to their in store display on Tuesday or not.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Kmart also has Donnie Darko for $9.99.

Thanks Dave for all the work that you've put into the Weekly Roundup every Sunday. Have a great New Year!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy is also offering a few 2-packs of DVDs for $12.99 (off the top of my head):

Novacaine/L.A. Story
Requiem For A Dream/Pi
Soul Survivors/Jacob's Ladder

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Another slow week again. Have XXX already(early x-mas gift from a friend) & will get "Barbershop" if available on 01/01/2003.
Here's wishing Dave & all the HTF a Happy & Healthy New Years!!!
Joe

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Dave, for all your great work. I look forward to your post every Sunday. Just wanted to add the following from ads which caught my eye:

CompUSA has the Superbit versions of Resident Evil and Tommy for the low price of $18.99 each!

Target has some Columbia catalog titles for $11.99, including The Natural, Close Encounters (single disc), Bad Boys, The Patriot, Men In Black, The Wedding Planner, Final Fantasy, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Vertical Limit, and A Knight's Tale. Many of these are single disc versions of special editions, or standard versions of Superbit titles, but a great price nonetheless!

And Best Buy has some good titles on sale for $12.99, including Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Clerks, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Revenge Of the Nerds 2-pack, and Gone In 60 Seconds!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Nothing new for me this week, but thanks anyway Dave! You deserve pay. Unfortunately, I'm too busy spending it on DVDs to give it to you, but you deserve it.

Got to go get last week's R2-D2 from Best Buy, but otherwise nothing this week -- I wouldn't say no to Sleepless in Seatle for $8, though.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
"Oh the things I'm going to do for my country."
And one of these things will consist of buying xXx (in widescreen, of course) on Tuesday. :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I did take advantage of Best Buy's free shipping and got R2-D2's Beneath The Dome for only $5.30 delivered. I would have had to drive about 40 miles for the nearest BB too! I thought the sale price was going up to $7.99 today but I guess not. :)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
"Oh the things I'm going to do for my country."
I thought I figured this out for sure that this would be the opening quote of the Roundup this week, but ya went for the Nostalgia factor. Good choice! Thanks again, David, for all of your hard work.
Does anyone know how much xXx is going to be at CompUSA? The ad lists the dreaded 'Hot Price'. Normally, I wouldn't bother buying anything at CompUSA after L'Affaire Potter, but I have a GC that I got with StarFox Adventures that needs to be used up.

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
Note that the controversial film The Barbershop has an actual release date of 1/1/03 (Wednesday), not the usual Tuesday (or occasional Friday) street date. Also be aware that rumors have reached me that this title is delayed further, despite being advertised in everyone's weekly sales flyers, and that it won't hit stores until 1/14/03. I cannot find any verification of that, so I think someone's been smoking a bit too much peyote! But if this comes to pass, you heard it here first, okay?
Barbershop was at my local ***-*art on Friday out for sale so not delayed here must be a time-warp that has it on shelves early,also in my Meijer store flyer it shows Undercover Brother out for sale there on Thursday-1/02/03 :rolleyes::eek: :crazy: :confused: :confused:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mathew Shelby said:
Barbershop was at my local {store hint removed} on Friday out for sale so not delayed here
Good to hear it! I don't mean for the street date break, but good to know it's not delayed. I thought that was some BS; good to know my insticts are still on the ball.
I hit the $5 bins at Wal-Mart today and the $5.99 merchandiser in K-Mart. I nabbed Diner, 2 Days In The Valley, Babar: King Of The Elephants, The Gauntlet, Chasers, Inventing The Abbots, Grand Canyon, Quills, and even went for Wing Commander. Not bad for under $50!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well another slow week for me. Thanks as always for the Roundup :).
Chris S.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
The Meijer (grocery/superstore) ad listed xXx and Hey Arnold for December 31 and 4 movies for January 2: Barbershop, About a Boy, Blue Crush and Undercover Brother. Obviously the date is wrong for all 4 of those titles, but it is inetersting that Barbershop has been lumped together with three titles scheduled for 1/14/03.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
How long do price drops normally take to trickle down to brick & mortar stores? Should I expect to be able to stroll into Circuit City and get The Ice Storm for under $10 bucks this week, or will it take a while?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks