What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-14-2006 (1 Viewer)

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I saw it Mike, and all things being equal, would make me pull the trigger. But my local GameStop has a tendency to do "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sales on used DVDs, especially around X-Mas, so I will probably be able to get CSI 6 along with a season of the Sopranos and maybe even Deadwood for ~$100 total.
There's usually a nice selection of those types of shows. And I know the employees, and they don't take in ugly scratched up discs in trade. Never any House, Doctor Who, or NCIS though.

Thanks though.

edit: speaking of which, it looks like DDD dropped their price on Doctor Who Series 1!

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, that one is out. I got it from Blockbuster online a while ago. Interesting Australian western with a great cast. Written by Nick Cave.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Ken, but DDD has it at $144 on the sale, and I can't even afford that.
Oh well... I already missed the Buffy complete series. Maybe now Homicide will be re-released in cheaper sets like Buffy was.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's an interesting observation. I've noticed the same phenomenon that certain series seem more subject to having their season sets show up in the used bins than others.

For example, I have always kept my eyes open for Amazing Race: Season 7 in a used bin. Never seen it. And there are others I've never seen used.

But, The Simpsons, the Sopranos, CSI, Full House (?!) are always easy to find.

Probably got something to do with the # of original sales...

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm sure original sales numbers matter. Number of sales to rental outlets probably factor in as well, as I know some Blockbusters sell entire sets for a good price. And people who buy to rip onto DVD-R and sell back the used copy have something to do with it. Ergo - more popular more prevalent.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I wouldn't count on it; A&E tends to be more expensive than Fox on most things. This *is* the cheaper release. Individual seasons were list-priced at $99.95, except for the short S1-2 set. I bought most of them at previous DDD sales for "only" $55-$60 per set. $144 for the whole thing plus the apparently out of print movie is a great deal. (I know -- how great a deal it is is irrelevant if it's still out of reach!)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The prices for Best Buy on the RoundUp are different than what I got in-store:

Family Guy v4: $26.99
King Kong EE: $24.99
Green Mile SE: $15.99
The Da Vinci Code: $15.99

I know sometimes BB may vary their regional pricing, but this is what I paid in Los Angeles.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I know.... Maybe it will stick around long enough to get it during the Summer sale.... And maybe it will start raining gold dust too.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Made my usual Tuesday run to Best Buy -- that Reward Zone card owns my ass. I did pick up a few at DDD -- couldn't resist.

I picked up King Kong Extended Edition (love this flick), Green Mile SE (an all-time fave) and The Bodyguard SE (also $5.99 this week, along with all those others).

Next week -- An Inconvenient Truth, Seinfeld S7, A Fish Called Wanda CE next week. Supes set after that. A great November, all told.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm disappointed the Circuit City clearly shows the two-disc "Sixth Sense: Vista Series" in their paper ad, however, no stores seem to be carrying it --- only the single disc version. My local CC doesn't even carry the two disc -- as it's not even in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks