What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/1 (1 Viewer)

JasonLH

Grip
Has anyone found a copy of Auntie Mame?

I have been to two Best Buys, two FYEs, Circuit City, Media Play, and Borders. None of them had Auntie Mame in stock.

Jason

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, $5 off coupon worked the first time at Best Buy for me. The junior cashier I had was a little confused -- the coupon wouldn't scan, she turned it over and was surprised to see blank white paper on the back, etc. -- but a more experienced checker came over and showed her that with "coupons like these", you have to run the entire order in first, then hit some key for "manufacturer's coupon", then put in the amount of the coupon. And just like that, I saved $5!
So, if your cashier doesn't know how to handle it, you can let her know. :D
Enjoy!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Interesting...Amazon says that AUNTIE MAME and THE THIN MAN will ship within 24 hours. A PERFECT WORLD is supposed to ship in 4-5 days.

Is it possible that Warner short-shipped to the stores?

- Steve

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Skipped hitting BB on the way home, because I called them and found out that they had plenty of Strange Brew and Cat's Eye, but no Firefox, Limpet, or any of the older ones (Thin Man, etc.). No ETA either: they are expecting in ZERO copies of Firefox, for instance. :eek:
So instead I hit Costco to see if they had any of these. I was heartened when I saw plenty of copies of the 2-Disc SE releases from last week for $17.49 each (Cuckoo's Nest, Singin', True Romance, Unforgiven, Amadeus, and even older ones Kane and Zhivago). Plenty of Mary Tyler Moore at $32.99..complete in a custom cardboard case like you see at the club stores, except it's in MTM colors and font!
I was also happy to see Barbie Rapunzel (along with Barbie Nutcracker) for just $12.99. And Brotherhood of the Wolf as well, though I missed getting the price.
However, none of the new WB catalog releases were there at Costco, either. No Strange Brew, no Firefox, no Cat's Eye or any of the others. So I asked them to look up some of these. NO LISTINGS. None expected...ever. :frowning:
So I got home and checked with Borders again. Nope...still no listings for these catalog titles. :rolleyes
I have no idea what makes these chains think that this stuff isn't in demand. I guess I'll check CC and Target tomorrow...and then head to the internet. This sucks.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
What a deal.

Scorpion King for 14.95 at Best Buy with K-Mart price match.
10% additional discount (don’t know why this was deducted)
13.45 – 5.00 coupon
Grand total = 8.45 + tax

WAY TO GO !!!!!

Also picked up the “Revenge of the Nerds” 2-Pack for 11.99 and the new Cranberries “Live in Paris” remix.
I got a rain check for the Space 1999 “Mega set” because they were all out of stock.

Shawn S

PS….I went to K-Mart first to show my support for their recent LOW prices, but all they had was the “Pan & Scam” version of Scorpion King in stock.
A wasted trip !!!!

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Grrrr- only Fullscreen at my local K-mart. Luckily, I went down the road to my local Walmart and voted for Widescreen by purchasing Scorpian King for the reduced price of $14.86.

The cashier looked at me like I was trying to slip the wool over her eyes with the printable coupon, but after checking with a manager she gave me the discount. A great popcorn flick for $9.86....can't beat it!

Duncan Reno

Agent
I went to Kmart 7:30am for SK nothing available. Went back on my break and all they had was fullscreen (clerk was shocked why I would want widescreen but I had no time to explain). I went to Target at lunch, all sold out of BOTW.

So stopped at CC on my way home ads in hand. Grabbed BOTW & SK. After the clerk poured over the ads (I don't know why but they always seems to think everyones trying to pull a fast one) First tried to say the Kmart ad price for SK was only for vhs. The ad had no price for the dvd. After convincing the clerk otherwise I then pulled out the manufacturers coupon. "Someone tried to use that earlier. Read the small print it says you have to mail it in with your receipt. The manager has already spoken to a customer earlier about it." I told her to go ahead and ring it up since I wasn't sure I'd find a WS copy at Kmart or Walmart. Well I stopped at Walmart down the road purchased a WS SK $14.86 they scanned the coupon which deducted the $5.00. Tomorrow it's back to CC for a refund.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Dave I don't even bother with B&M for catalog titles anymore strictly Internet, not worth the hassle of the drive for the 0-1 copies they may have

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dave Scarpa, you're right. But then my thinking ends up being like this: If I'm gonna wait for an internet order, and have to hassle with signatures, or whether or not it fits in my mailbox, or whether or not I have to go pick it up at a pickup center at an inconvenient time and place, or if it arrives damaged and NOW how long do I wait to enjoy it, etc...

...those issues are why I prefer B&M stores. If I'm gonna wait on a mail order for something like Firefox, that I'm certain will show up at the B&M's sooner or later, then why shouldn't I just relax, watch one of my other zillion discs, and wait to run into it when a store gets it in their truck.

My local Best Buy may show no copies on order right now of Firefox, but it's obviously in their system and other locations are getting it, judging by this forum. Did you know that every time a BB employee looks up a title in their system that the location doesn't stock, it registers "interest" in that title? And the buyers take it into account. When Patton first shipped, my location wasn't gonna carry it. But a month later, there it was on the shelf.

Same will happen with Firefox. I myself will ask them to look it up every time I go into the store. Sooner or later that "interest" will register, and they'll get it on a geo shipment. In the meantime, I'll try to relax...if possible!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Find that Best Buy usually will have catalog titles like Firefox, Return of the living Dead etc usually a week after they street. No Big Deal as you say I have a bunch of unopened disks to watch. I'll be picking up FF, Heartbreak Ridge, and Perfect World at some point. At least I'll have use for some of my Holiday gift cards

Jodee

Screenwriter
Wait for a mail order?

I pre-order all my catalog titles from DVD Empire who promptly ships them on Friday before street date (usually arrive Monday) They also usually have the lowest price to boot. Plus no sales tax and free shipping on 4 discs.

The Paramount titles out next week (Flashdance,e tc.) are all $16.24 which is a better price than what the B&M's will offer.

I did all my 10/1 shopping from them:

Strange Brew - $13.99
Shop Around the Corner - $13.99
I Love Lucy Vol 3 - $9.74
I Love Lucy Vol 4 - $9.74

Sure beats retail, and I got them Monday with no added shipping costs or taxes. Love it. I highly recommend them for catalog titles.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
But Jodee...if I did all my shopping online, why on Earth would I continue to create the Weekly Roundup? :wink:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I found Firefox at Best Buy today, and got it and Strange Brew and Cat's Eye.. It wasn't there yesterday. No Limpet, Frankenstein, Dracula, or Elvira yet, though.

Derek_C

Agent
Denied!
I went to Circuity City to pick up SK and they refused to take the $5 coupon. Then I went to K-Mart, they were out of business. I then went to Best Buy and they refused to price match K-Mart AND take the $5 coupon. They said one or the other. I even talked to a manager about it. No go. Then I went to a different K-Mart, but they only had the fullscreen version. :angry: Lots of places added to my sh:star:t list tonight!

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
It looked like my best buy had copies of Strange Brew but they were all gone by Wednesday. So I'll probably order that one along with the warner classics. They also were all sold out of their copies of Brotherhood of the Wolf which I found to be strange.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I tried to support K-mart but all they had were fullscreen Scorpian King dvd's. Oh well, of to Wal Mart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks