What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/1 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]This movie was shot in 3B - three beers - and it looks good, eh? [/rant]
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb
Adv/Paddington Bear______$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Auntie Mame______________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Barbie as Rapunzel_______$14.99__$14.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Bloodsport_______________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Brotherhood of the Wolf__$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Cat's Eye (S. King)______$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Curse of Frankenstein____$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Dr. Who: Key to Time Box_$93.99__$99.99__$124.98__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Dr. Who (individual DVD)_$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Elvira's Haunted Hills___$14.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Ernest Goes to Africa____$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Ernest in the Army_______$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Firefox__________________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Heartbreak Ridge_________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Horror of Dracula____$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
I Love Lucy: Ssn 1 Vol 3_$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
I Love Lucy: Ssn 1 Vol 4_$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
I Love Lucy's 50th Annv._$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Incredible Mr Limpet_$18.74__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
It! (Stephen King)_______$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
A Perfect World__________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Scorpion King - WS_______$20.24__$16.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$19.48
Scorpion King - Lmtd Ed._$29.99__$27.99__$29.99__$27.99__$_N/A_
Shop Around The Corner___$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Strange Brew_____________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Thin Man_____________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Tina Turner: Simply/Best_$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]
* I am seeing on various websites, including here on HTF that folks who have the new ad say that K-Mart has The Scorpion King for just $14.95 (or is it $14.87?) this week! :eek: In DVD or VHS. WITH a bonus item included, according to half of the reports: a pewter trading card. Cool! :emoji_thumbsup: Note: I haven't verified this firsthand yet, as K-Mart's site still has last week's ad posted, and I don't take the newspaper. But I'm sure members will chime in and let us know pretty soon. I definately believe it, though.
* BE CAREFUL, HOWEVER! The Scorpion King is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one!
* Thanks to Eric_P., [rant]you can get The Scorpion King for under $10!![/rant] That's right, go HERE for a printable manufacturer's coupon good for $5 off! The coupon is good through Sunday, Oct. 6th at ANY retailer. Since it is a manufacturer's coupon that will be reimbursed to the retailer by Universal Studios themselves, do not let any store tell you that it can't be used in conjunction with other offers. This coupon costs them nothing. So go use it! I know I'll be at K-Mart bright and early on Tuesday, with my coupon in hand! :D
* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. However, this week I'm not sure if the two Ernest films are OAR or not. The backs of the boxes don't say one way or the other (see below). I suspect they are fullscreen, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and put them in the Roundup. Be careful! Oh, and I don't *think* any other Ernest films were streeting this week, but if any are will someone post the prices for them? Thanks...they're really not my cup of tea.
* Fans of The Rock know that they can find him in Scorpion King, but did you know he's got another DVD out this week? A 2-disc set called Just Bring It...which Circuit City has on sale for $12.99. If you buy it and Scorpion King there together, they will take $5 off. Use that with the manufacturer's coupon, and the math adds up the 3 discs full of The Rock for a mere $19! :eek:
* Meanwhile, if you are getting the Scorpion King VIDEOGAME at Best Buy, get it together with the DVD and you get a $15 gift card. That's like getting the DVD for just $2...great if you wanted this PS2/GameCube game anyway.
* I know it was last week's release, but it bears mentioning: the Space: 1999 MegaSet is at Best Buy - with exclusive Bonus Disc - for $119.99 this week. That's $10 off their normal price, but still $20 more than Costco's. If you were on the fence about $30 more for the bonus disc, maybe it's a go for $20 more, eh? Details about the bonus disc were posted in last week's Roundup...I know I'll get my $10 difference refunded! :wink:
* Wal-Mart's ad this time shows Scorpion King for a hefty $19.95, but expect most locations to drop it based on local competition. YMMV. They also show Barbie as Rapunzel for $14.95, and they already show next week's Beauty and the Beast Platinum release for $19.95...a price I already know is gonna be beat. :D
* Target's ad shows Barbie as Rapunzel for $14.99, but you save $3 if you get the "Penelope Dragon" toy at the same time. Target also has the best price on Brotherhood of the Wolf at just $16.99. Scorpion King is listed as "Low Price", both Widescreen and Fullscreen are specified. They also, incidentally, have the new Incubus "Morning View" CD - with bonus DVD included - for just $11.88. If that was mentioned in any other chain's ads, I clean missed it.
* CompUSA's ad shows The Scorpion King at $17.99, but doesn't specify whether this is FullScreen or Widescreen version...even though Grease in the same ad specifies only the FullScreen version. :frowning: I would assume that SK is FS as well...not that this is a great price or anything.
* "Hey, DAVE...since this is a big catalog title week, any hope of Borders listings?" NOPE! I checked into it. First and foremost, the biggest round of catalog titles this week are from Warner, right? Well, none of their titles are listed at Borders except for Shop Around the Corner and the Doctor Who: Key To Time giftset. Second of all, those titles that are there have NO winning prices compared to the Roundup, even if the highest-possible DVD discount of 15% is applied! But, for those of you who want to give it a whack, Link Removed and Link Removed are two coupons from Borders that specifies the "20% off your total purchase" on all merchandise now through 10/18th. This time the fine print does NOT say it will exclude DVDs at all, not even to limit them to 15%. With this, the I Love Lucy titles become cheaper by about a buck, Barbie and Brotherhood of the Wolf also look a tad better...but only at 20% off. IF you are willing to fight for the use of one of these coupons, go for it. Bear in mind that they are supposedly limited to "All Area Stores" in the towns where new Borders stores were just opened...one in Highland Park, IL, and the other in La Habra, CA. On the other hand, other fine print on these say "Valid only at Borders locations in the United States and Puerto Rico", and there's a report a store in Charlotte, NC took one of them...for 15% off. :confused: Good luck. And, thanks to Mark Richter for the initial information!
* As a final note, for anyone who can use it here is a printable coupon for $3 off at FYE stores. Good on all media, including DVDs, through 10/30th. Thanks to Rob Lutter for this!

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Boa $24.95 $14.95
That's it on the markdowns...sorry. LOTS more next week, though! Take off, eh?
Here are those Ernest images I promised:

Now, I am leaving immediately to take my family to the Mid-South Fair. It's the last day, and we visit it every year when it hits town. So I'll be gone for most of the day...I'll check in when I get back!
Edit: to correct my poor spelling skills! :p)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm pleasantly surprised to see my 3 purchases acutally showing up at b&m's: The Thin Man, The Shop Around the Corner and The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Is the ONLY difference between the two versions of The Scorpion King the soundtrack CD? In other words, if I don't want the soundtrack and I buy the regular version, I'm missing absolutely nothing?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
n King"? Come on, man!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Oh my God; what drugs was I on this morning? And I did it wrong EVERY time, too! :eek:
Ah, well...I'll just leave it. A testament to my stupidity. Not that those are in short supply on this forum! :laugh:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Only two purchases for me this week, those being CAT'S EYE and BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF. I'll be getting CAT'S EYE at Best Buy, as they are the cheapest, and I'll be getting the Candian SE (better than the US release) of BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF from an online Canadian retailer.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't stand myself, so I went and corrected all the instances of "Scorpian". I think I got 'em all, but if I missed any just lemme know! :D

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Great job, Dave. Thanks. I noticed the Circuit City ad says "$20 instant savings with purchase of The Scorpion King DVD & The Scorpion King game for PS2 or GameCube". The game has a regular price of $49.99 but "new $29.99" price tag on it. I'm curious as to whether the $20 savings is already added to this price or is this their sales price and the combined purchase will actually decrease the cost of the game to $9.99.

Angel

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Anybody having problem printing out the Scorpion King coupon? I only get a blank webpage when I "click to print".

Bob

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm abstaining over the next few weeks funds are tight. If I had the money I'd go for the New Eastwoods and the Limpet disk, but they'll have to go on my backlog. It also pains me to hold out on the Flashdance,Sat Night Fever, and footloose combo next week, but as I said I'm trying to cut back a bit. Think the next thing I'll be getting is TREKIII. Oops I forgot got Strange Brew and Beauty of the Beast coming so it's not a total wash.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anybody having problem printing out the Scorpion King coupon?
I don't think you ever actually see the coupon on the screen. When I did it, I had to accept some program download first then the coupon printed out automatically, but I never did see the coupon appear on-screen.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Anybody having problem printing out the Scorpion King coupon? I only get a blank webpage when I "click to print".
:b I forgot to bring this up: turn off any pop-up killer programs you have active before you go to print this coupon.

If it still doesn't work, check your browser security levels. Temporarily turning them to lower levels might do the trick. Restore them where they were immediately after doing the print, though.

Yeah, what Malcom describes is EXACTLY what happened for me.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay; stopped by K-Mart on the way home and grabbed a flyer. Scorpion King is definately in there like this:
$14.95
VHS/ DVD
This sizing I just did on the example demonstrates how the price is centered over the VHS price, so it looks like it might apply only to the tape. But in the absence of a separate DVD price, or any other clear message, I am certain they will have to take the DVD price as being $14.95.
Again, the $5-off manufacturer's coupon should be IN ADDITION to this, since it is reimbursed from Universal themselves. No way they should refuse to accept it.
The ad also specifies that there is a "FREE! Scorpion King Pewter Trading Card! When you purchase The Scorpion King on DVD or VHS" The fine print says "Offer good while supplies last. Minimum 150 cards per store".
Here is a link to an image of both the circular ad and a scan of the printout of the $5-off manufacturer's coupon. I don't know if they will accept a print of that image as the coupon; it won't be the right size, and it is creased a bit. But give it a shot if you can't get the real version to print...it won't bother me none! :wink:
Good luck tomorrow!

Rodon

Second Unit
My wife will attempt the K-mart SK DVD $14.87 deal + a $5 off coupon in the morning. I will let you know if all goes well. This is in Bloomington, Il.

Dave, Thanks so much - I love the Weekly Roundups!! I look forward to them every week.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Is the ONLY difference between the two versions of The Scorpion King the soundtrack CD? In other words, if I don't want the soundtrack and I buy the regular version, I'm missing absolutely nothing?
I feel so ignored...:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks