1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly RoundUp 10-1-2019

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Not much of interest for me this week. I might take a flower on the film Life Love Dogs...and I'm kinda interested in some of the content on the Sesame Street anniversary discs...but othr than that...bupkis.

Hope there's something(s) there for you.

Safe shopping for y'all! :D

3. Message #3 of 31 Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I'm hoping to have a review up for Pan's Labyrinth in 4K on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I did an initial check and will say that for those on the fence, it is definitely worth upgrading from the original (and heavily DNR'd) New Line Blu-ray release (which, unfortunately, is included in this set). Heads up - the UHD disc has a slight authoring error - apparently whoever authored the menu assumed EVERYONE spoke or understood Spanish, as the default setting for subtitles on the disc is NONE. There is also a disclaimer on the packaging that says the digital code only redeems on HD, not 4K. Hopefully, that is a typo, as I see that Vudu has the UHD version as being available on 10/1.

4. Message #4 of 31 Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Thank you for your work, Mike!

Spider-Man is one of my favorite movies of the year and I have it on order with Amazon. The last MCU title I trusted Amazon to send me was Civil War, back before they were feuding with Disney. Because this one is a Sony release, I've got to say it is nice just to be able to order it and know Amazon will take care of it.

If the Blu-ray included with the Frozen 4K set were upgraded at all from its original release -- like, say, with some real extras -- I would get that steelbook in a heartbeat, as I think it's gorgeous. However, because I have no plans to upgrade to 4K at the moment and the included Blu-ray copy is the same as I already have, I can't justify dropping $38 with tax on a fancy new box alone.

There is also a DVD release of Anna and the Apocalypse this week, a movie which I loved in theaters last year. However, I think I will hold off on that because the UK is getting a Blu-ray release, so I want to see if either the U.S. has one forthcoming or if the UK one is region-free. I want to own it badly enough that I would accept a DVD if there is no Blu-ray, but I can wait for a while to see what happens.

5. Peter McM

Peter McM Screenwriter

Peter
    I'm more interested how it compares to the Criterion blu.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  6. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Unfortunately, I never owned the Criterion.

7. Clay_E

Clay_E Stunt Coordinator

The link for the Best Buy ad goes to a page that says this:

The link you clicked on is malformed. Contact the editor of the originating page.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Fortunately the cover art for Best Buy's exclusive Far From Home UHD steelbook is absolutely hideous, so they saved me five bucks. Just the regular UHD version (cover art also not so great) for me.

I've also heard really great things about "Doom Patrol", but I refuse to subscribe to DC Universe. So the Season 1 Blu-Ray is a day one purchase as well.

Thanks as always, Mike!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I've heard that the UHD cover of Spider-Man's mask split between his regular mask and the Night Monkey mask is only for the slipcover. Underneath it, the actual keepcase includes the artwork that has been distributed online for the Blu-ray+DVD, featuring the cast's big heads on the top and Spider-Man fighting Mysterio on the bottom. I don't love that artwork either, but I find it the least bad of the various versions.

I'm just hoping that it is also on the case of the Blu-ray+DVD version I'm buying and that they didn't sneak some awful artwork under the slipcover for that edition. With Into the Spider-Verse, the artwork on the Blu-ray case itself matched the artwork posted online for the DVD, so I'm a little nervous that the big mask artwork on the 4K slipcover might actually be case artwork for the Blu-ray. I hope not. We'll see Tuesday.

It's also worth noting for those pre-ordering through Amazon that they are offering six free digital comics to those who pre-order. This promotion has been active since early July when the pre-orders went live, but the code for the comics is supposed to be emailed to you once the item ships.

10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks for the ROundUp!

There are a title of two in the list I've signed up for reviewing, but nothing has arrived as yet. And I pre-ordered weeks ago the combo duet of Addams Family movies. I never owned either in HD. I had the first on DVD and the second only on laserdisc, so these will be a big jump in quality for me.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Noticed that Walmart has had a couple "exclusive" Steelbook releases recently, for those that are into such things.

Will get Addams Family Values on blu sometime. Spider-Man: Far From Home 3D is preordered from Germany.

Would like to see some reviews of the Gremlins 4K before dipping yet again.

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

That's the one was talking about. I thought the cover art with Spider-Man's mask split between his regular mask and the Night Monkey mask was exclusive to Walmart, which is apparently not the case.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Huh. Now isn't THAT interesting...

I just went to bb.com and could find NO link to their weekly ad. Maybe they have done away with the concept altogether?!?

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Will you be able to offer a comparison to the Criterion BD? I am not planning on upgrading from that version unless there is a very big jump in image quality with the UHD, due to the cash outlay I made for the Criterion.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Todd stated in this thread that he doesn't have the Criterion Blu-ray.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4786750/

Todd Erwin and Scott Merryfield like this.
  17. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Please see message # 6 in this thread ...

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Bummer. I will just have to remain satisfied with the Criterion then, as I don't want to make a blind purchase on this upgrade.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

20. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I noticed it about a month to a month and half ago they got rid of the "Weekly Ad" link and replaced it with "Top Deals". Also the deals go from Monday through Sunday now instead of Sunday through Saturday.

Big week of releases for me received UHD of The Shining yesterday. UHD of Ant-Man, GOTG, Dr. Strange & Spider-Man: FFH on the way. Might still get the UHD of Gremlins this week.

TravisR likes this.