What's new

We need a seperate SVSubwoofer section (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Put me down for being for a separate sub section, but against it being totally SVS related. Subs are far enough apart from your other speaker to justify their own section, but many people come onto the forum for other than SVS subs. It would be nice to be able to receive recommendations on subs costing $150-500 dollars in a section dedicated to subs.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Magpile

Auditioning
I have heard SVS, single, dual, head to head, stacked, side by side, one firing to each ear, one w/woofer & one w/port facing the back of the head. Any method you can think of, we've tried it. The could shake the barn. But nothing compared to pappy's sub down at the trail, where he converted his little grain silo which was only used to store slaughter, into the largest cylindrical sub (or silosub) this side of the appalachain. Talking about shaking the barn down, it would have shaken it down were it not burned down already.

Nick P

Second Unit
Magpile,
I must admit...your posts are humorous. But what's your real beef with SVS? It seems personal with you. Did your wife/girlfriend leave you for someone with dual ultras?;) :) ;)

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
I had this great tweak before, it was those leather ears that one wears outside one's own ear (forgot what it was called.) All of a sudden, imaging became much better, the imageless imaging of the Bose 901 in the local low-fi/washing machine shop suddenly became less imageless. Although it did make the midrange more prominent, and I had to buy a set for each listener, or else they can't enjoy the music with me at the same time.
Looking through the humor, he does sort of have a point. The number of SVS posts is nearly overwhelming, from questions about what to purchase, where to place, and what amp to use, to purely ecstatic “OH MY GOD-I LOVE MY SVS” posts from owners. It must get old reading all these posts for someone who doesn’t own one, and is possibly insecure about what he does own.
:D ALL IN FUN :D
David

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've advocated in the FORUM FEEDBACK section that a separate Subwoofer section would be beneficial to the HTF membership.

Subs are very important for HT, it's what sets a HT apart from a room with just a TV/DVD player and 5 speakers.

I hope Parker and Ron will consider creating a separate section dedicated to Subwoofers only - they are a totally different beast than speakers, and require infinitely more setup and calibration than speakers.

J

John Morris

And... I'd like to request seperate sections for both Paradigm and Def Tech speakers so their owners can continue their "love in" in private and I won't ever have to read any of those annoying posts anymore. (Hey, I'm JUST KIDDING, Guys and Bob A):D

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'll wade in and make a bold statement...
SV subs, although of great quality and value, aren't the only game in town.
I did a lot of research when I was looking for a sub. In fact, I almost bought an SVS... I constantly waffled back and forth between the 25-31CS, 20-39CS, and the 16-46CS. Then one day I ran across another option, a company that builds DIY types of kits and finished subs, Link Removed. After crunching the numbers, evaluating cost, and reading unbiased data I decided on a 142L EBS alignment Shiva for $380 (and I supplied my own amplification).
It's not "boomy" and sounds just as good as an SVS, IMO. Goes about as low as an SVS 16-46CS (it has an F3 around 14Hz in my HT) and is as "flat" as a pancake.
13.5 Hz: 106 dB SPL
15 Hz: 110 dB SPL
18 Hz: 112 dB SPL
20 Hz: 111 dB SPL
25 Hz: 110 dB SPL
32 Hz: 115 dB SPL
40 Hz: 113 dB SPL
50 Hz: 108 dB SPL
60 Hz: 113 dB SPL
If so then I can understand why you don't "get it" concerning the glowing SVS reviews. It must also be very frustrating to accept the fact that your sub, if you have one, probably cost much more and performs less than an SVS.
I know this wasn't directed at me but I have to say. Yes, I've listened to some SVS'. Yes, I do like them. But there are other options available out there.
My sub cost less and IMO performs about the same.
I'm not dissing Tom and Ron, they truly rock and are great people in their field. They put a lot of hard work into their products and it shows. Truth is, their subs beat the crap out of 99% of the subs on the market and they sell them for less than almost all of them. But, and I suppose many will consider this blasphemy, though they are few, there are other contenders.

Nick P

Second Unit
JerryW,
I agree there are other good subs to choose from and by looking at your your numbers it appears you have a great sub. (BTW, just curious, what volume level was your receiver on when you took those readings? Reference? 10db under ref.?) It just kinda amuses me to see people downgrade products when they may not have even heard it. My point, and I think many other people's, is that most subs that can match or exceed an SVS combo usually cost much more. I can relate to trying to ignore and not believe all the SVS praise because I did the same thing before I bought my twin 20-39CS/S700 package. I was happy as a clam with my two Def Techs. Nothing could be better than this I thought. Those SVS lovers are nuts! But when I couldn't ignore the buzz any longer I gave in and ordered and boy was I ever glad I did. I know a DIY sub can be a real winner but for folks like myself who aren't that handy with tools and electronics it's great to have a company like SVS.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I hear ya Dick, and I know the feeling. It's hard to make unbiased decision with all the chatter about SVS on here. Truthfully, I would have been very happy with an SVS (had just about decided on a 16-46CS), but the EBS Shiva numbers really intrigued me.
BTW, my sub wasn't a kit. It was $380 for a finished, integrated, and painted (I chose black granite paint) sub. IMO, that's an incredible deal. Now, I'm not saying it would kick the 16-46CS into the weeds, but it is very comparable.
My readings were taken at -5 of reference, usually way too loud for my tastes. :)

Magpile

Auditioning
The Hsu I have is the 10V used for the center channel, which is a really old sub (but it doesn't rust,) and that was before many people around here started using their rusted out 500 gal moonshine still (perfect for sub, hole on top for port, rusted bottom removed for driver (drivers are unlimited, since those autosound competitors out there in civilization constantly are upgrading their system, so whenever we make a trek out there to the demolition derby, we scrounge around some woofers(15, 18 24 inch, they are all there.))) Then of course, pappy with his silosub, all these guys here now are regretting that they burned down their silos when they were drunk. I didn't build my moonshinesub 'cuz my still is a whole in the ground lined with drum liner, I got some rusted junks (besides the pickup trucks) in my front yard that fits the bill, but they are also burned down. But seriously, how much bass could you synthesize sub-harmonically out of bluegrass, fiddle or appalachian mountain music?

Anyway, since I can't go on ranting and raving about our silosubs and moonshinesubs, at least I could root with the little guys.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Magpile,
I am from Kentucky as well. Must we delve so deep into stereotypes to talk about moonshine and grain silos? Don't forget that the bass feels better without shoes on! (To the HTF members NOT from Kentucky, we Kentuckians don't wear shoes.) And I tell ya what, a movie ain't no movie if I ain't a got me purty wife 'round, no sir, she wer muh sister fer a long time, but I married her, proper as such, in a church-house too! Whew Wee! (That is what we Kentuckians say, I just said it too) I tell ya what, last time I tried to cal-i-brate Bessy (Junior's pet cow) made the best SPL meter stand thar ever was. I think she mighty been a sleep, that goofy heffer!
Really, you ever wonder why Kentucky has a bad image?
Of course, the water tower does say "Florence Ya'll". I be ppl on the HTF have seen it, its quite memorable.
EDIT: I just looked up where Magpile lives. Man, you are in the sticks! (Thats what we Kentuckians say is far away!) There might be some truth in the silosub. :)
Anyway, I'm through making an ass of muhself.
Jon
OH, and I think an SVS sub section is silly but I think a sub section would be acceptable, if the Admins want it.

Nick P

Second Unit
JerryW - watch the name calling...my name is Nick!;)
Magpile - I do enjoy your posts but not when you're putting down other people's equipment. More humor and less sarcasm would be good. :)
Jon_R - we're neighbors. I'm less than 20 minutes from Florence. Maybe you, me, and Magpile could do something really nerdy like get together and compare his silo-sub to my new twin 20-39CS+ subs when they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks