What's new

We need a seperate SVSubwoofer section (1 Viewer)

Magpile

Auditioning
I don't want to go through threads talking about dipole/monopole, center channel, avia setup, surround placement or anything about other subwoofers just to get to threads about SVSubwoofers.

I want a seperate section just for SVsubwoofers so I could read nothing but how good the SVSubs are. Sub recommendations should be also welcome, where other brands would be trounced. I guess amp/receiver/boombox as amp questions would be fine also (although I don't know why there is so much thread about loud fan noises, since when the subs are going full force at 130dB, even the collapsing of your house from the SPL is not audible.)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I don't think we should have a separate SVS sub section even though they are our sponsers otherwise we would need to set up a section for our other sponsers as well. A subwoofer section however is alright.

I do think the current sections are flawed. I don't like to separate things too much. It actually makes the board worse if we spread the board too thin.

I know this is a home theater forum but I no longer know where to post cd player recommendations.

Magpile

Auditioning
Seperating the thread was good for findind the SVSub praises. I use to have to sift through TV size, component cable, "DPLII rules", 7ch vs 6ch vs 5ch vs 2ch, DTS/DD war, "why THX", DVD-A/SACD war, "which receiver..." just to find the SVS threads. There were maybe 1 thread in 10 that was SVS. Now with the speaker section, it is down to maybe 1 in 4. I still don't want sift through 3 junk threads, where I still might miss the "SVSubs knocked my house down @ 140dB" posting because the poster did not EMPHASIZE it in the heading.

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, a seperate SVS subwoofer secion is an absolute necessity. In fact, if there was a seperate SVS section, the balance of the hardware area would be very manageable and easy to navigate. I strongly recommend a seperate SVS section.

Best regards-Henry

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Henry and Magpile, thanks for the chuckles. I'm sure for non-SVS owners it gets old after a while.
In other news, my CS-Ultra should be here today. STAY TUNED!! ;)
--Steve

JerryW

Supporting Actor
That's an awesome idea! Let's see if we can get Ron and Parker to implement this ASAP.

"You gotta keep `em seperated!"

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also an SVS owner but I think if there is a separate section it should be for subwoofers in general. I think that would narrow down a search quite a bit and allow those seeking subwoofer information about any brand to go to one place. Topics discussed would be about subs only.;)

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well I'm against the idea myself. It seems about 50% of the SVS threads say "I just got my SVS sub and it's great!" Another 25% are users letting us know their SVS is on the way to them. The rest are split up between people asking SVS for setup help (and other customer service issues) and asking why they should get SVS.
With the exception of the various tweaky problems people have with setting up their sub for best response in their room all the threads say the same thing...over and over again. I feel just a "subwoofer" section would be best since many questions regarding SVS setup can apply to most/all subs. I guess I just don't like the idea of going into the SVS section and seeing the same topic header for each thread. :rolleyes
Let me add though that I have NOTHING against SVS and that from all the reviews I've read I have no doubt that they are indeed a great company. Please do not flame me as being anti-SVS. Thank you. :)
Dan Hine

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
This has come up before. If I were a sponsor, the last thing I'd want is to lose the constant exposure of the threads in the general hardware forum. These threads and "stickies" are invaluable for name recognition, which is the most important part of selling anything. I don't think I'd go for it.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Separate "Subwoofer" section? I could see that. Subs are increasinly popular it seems, and really a discussion area unto itself.

"Speakers" might be to broad for folks I guess?

I can't see an "SVS only" section. There are plenty of folks that visit that barely know what a subwoofer is, much less what an "SVS" is. So many discussions compare many different brands, so where would those go if not in a broader "Subwoofer" area?

Right now we seem to have discussion over two sections of the Hardware forum with no rhyme or reason. I'm sure Parker and Ron will make tweaks as they go along. They don't need SVS telling them how to organize stuff ;^)

Ron

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Good point Jack. But if all the subs (SVS included) were in the same forum it would still provide great name exposure. It's not like anyone could miss the name SVS anywhere on HTF. ;) I guess I'm just wanting things to be a bit easier to read in the general forum. Not to mention all the SVS, and general sub, questions (the same questions, mind you) that get asked over, and over, and over... :)

First A-men to Dan Hine's observations above about the quality of the average SVS post. You have to read alot of them to get to an actual issue, no disrespect to exited new owners. As a new SVS owner and potential BFD equalizer owner I have my eyes peeled for set up info. But how far do you want to take this? Separate out parametric equalization for subs next? I like the sub info mixed in with speakers just fine, adds more general interest even though I'm not in the market right now. When I'm hot on a subject I search.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
But if all the subs (SVS included) were in the same forum it would still provide great name exposure. It's not like anyone could miss the name SVS anywhere on HTF. I guess I'm just wanting things to be a bit easier to read in the general forum.
Yeah, it might clean things up a bit, but I don't see it happening for the reasons I mentioned.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
:thumbsdown: Sorry, the last thing I need is yet another thread section to wade through. A subwoofer section...maybe!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Come on. Do we really need another sub-section? Subwoofer discussions are closely related to speaker discussions. Subs and speakers should be together and that includes SVS. Does it really take that long to read the thread topic and move on if you don't want to read it?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I vote for a separate "Subwoofer" section.
Stuff like EQs, phase, placement, SVS vs everyone else :).
Ron, Parker, Jay??

RichardM

Auditioning
I'm all for another SVS subwoofer section which could farther be broken down into SVS subwoofer sub-sections: 25-31s, 20-39s, 16-46s, PCs, CS+, SS...:D
"There is no such thing as a stupid question...just a lot of inquisitive idiots!"

Nick P

Second Unit
Magpile,
You seem to have a very condescending attitude towards SVS judging from what I've read in your posts, in this thread and others. I take you have never heard an SVS? If so then I can understand why you don't "get it" concerning the glowing SVS reviews. It must also be very frustrating to accept the fact that your sub, if you have one, probably cost much more and performs less than an SVS. I can understand this because I too was in denial before I finally gave in and ordered a dual 20-39cs/S700 package. 7 months ago the SVS deal cost 1289.00 including shipping and they absolutely destroyed my twin Def Tech PF15TL+ subs which retailed for close 1500.00 with sales tax. It can be hard to admit that you have made a poor buying decision but if you can get past it then I have no doubt you'd be thrilled with the cost/performance ratio of an SVS. You might even feel compelled to write your own "my house fell down" review. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks