What's new

We lost Steve Tannehill (1 Viewer)

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Steve will be sorely missed by the entire Home Theater online community. He was a pioneer and one of the very first peeps I met online. In the early days of HTF he was a driving force, and at HTT and HTL he was admired and liked by everyone.

His love for The Beatles was well known. I am quite sure he is enjoying some Strawberry Fields now.

Rest in peace my friend.

Mike

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I didn't know Steve at all, but he seemed such a familiar presence here.

Shocking and sad. RIP, sir.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
No, no, no, no, no! So hard to accept! As a resident of the DFW area, I tried to connect with Steve in person, but was never able to. I did PM him when I read about his health issues and, of course, corresponded through posts here. I had noticed his absence but attributed it to work. Oh I will miss him. I wish I had met him in person.

My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm so sorry to hear this. I echo the sentiments of everyone else when I say that I truly enjoyed reading his posts and participating in threads with him, and will miss seeing his presence here.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Saddened to read about Steve's passing. Condolences to friends and family.

(Like others, his DVD Resource web site was a frequent stop for me back in the day, and my gateway to HTF.)

RIP Steve.

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's very sad news. I started getting to DVD fora through Steve's site, back in 1997.

After he stopped the site, he became a regular poster here too. And wasn't afraid to post a clear and candid opinion when he deemed it necessary.

A nice man as well, he'll be missed.

Rest in peace, Steve. And thank you. A lot.

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Back in 1997 I was writing patent applications for Sony in the field of digital audio and video, with applications to DVD etc. I found Steve's DVD Resource site very helpful. He hosted an entire war against DivX with it, presumably getting tired out by the effort.

Cees can help me out with this, but there's a dangerous age between late 30's and around 50 where people get early heart attacks. Then you are "safe" up to the late 60's at least. Poor Steve probably thought he'd crossed into the safe zone recently.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This is very sad news, I read DVD Resource religiously for years in the early DVD days. What an intelligent man he was.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
What a terrible loss. Steve was a great guy. He was one of the first big Mac fans I remember around here. I'm glad I got to meet him at an EMA meet in Vegas years ago. 50 is far too young. Rest in peace, my friend.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Very sad news. Like others, I knew him from DVD Resource (which led me here and HTT back in those days) and admired his courage at standing up for DVD against Circuit City and divx. I was able to pass along DVD new release info early to him back then as I worked for a distributor and was always glad to see him scoop others with the announcements.

RIP, Steve.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is very sad news. Like many of the long time members here, I remember visiting Steve's DVD Resource website many years ago. He will be missed here very much.

We sometimes take for granted the community here at HTF, but it is like an extended family. We have now lost two very dear friends in the past few months in Steve Tannehill and Scott Atwell.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I deeply apologize it has taken me a day to respond.

I received this horrific news yesterday and I was completely stunned, to say the least.

I can't quite grasp the fact that Steve Tannehill has passed.

As has been linked, Steve was the creator of DVD Resource. That is how most of us first came to know him. He was also one of the earliest supporters of Home Theater Forum. Since coming here, he and I had a terrific online friendship. I had been in touch with him over the past few months as he was recovering in the hospital, watching movies on his laptop. He was looking forward to coming home and watching Criterion's Mad World on his display.

I had always hoped to meet Steve in person. I had hoped he would eventually attend one of our HTF meets. I am very disappointed that I will never have the opportunity to personally thank him for all the support he has given this forum over the years.

Steve was a significant presence on HTF. He was a friend to all of us. He will be greatly missed.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Such sad news. Like so many others, his DVD Resource page led me here and into the world of HT, and it was always a pleasure to read his posts.

He has been taken way too soon, and will be greatly missed :(

You'll be missed, pal.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'M very sad to read this news today. I always looked forward to reading his posts. He was such a warm, welcome presence here, and he'll certainly be missed.

My thoughts will be with him today,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks