What's new

Watership Down: Possibly unmatted on DVD? (Not confirmed) (1 Viewer)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I ordered mine from DVD Empire and they had it in stock today. My local Best Buy did not.

A little off topic, but I could not find Trees Lounge locally and DVD Empire didn't get it in today either. Has anyone seen the new Trees Lounge anywhere?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
An employee at Best Buy assured me that they had it in stock, because it was accidentally put on the shelf last Saturday. She saw it, wanted to buy it herself, knew she'd get in trouble, and took it off the shelf. Then it was put out today and was sold out before she had a chance to grab her copy!
I feel bad for her, especially since she wants it so bad she was thinking of running to Circuit City to look for it! :laugh:
I want it, but the $ spent on TNG was enough for one day!! :eek:

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Scored the last copy my WalMart had tonight, couldnt believe my eyes...I live in a small town and wasnt even looking for it - thought there was no chance in hell!!! :D
Good luck !!!
Andy

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I finally found a copy at my local Tower Records/Video. Price was $19.95.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Glen,

I think you missed the point of the thread. There is NO fullscreen version of Watership Down. You won't find one out there on the shelf.

-Chad

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I was told at both Best Buy and Suncoast that the reason they didn't have it in stock was because it's not going to be released until March 26th. After explaining that today was the 28th, I found out that the Best Buys in the area will be carrying one copy per store, but not for another week or two. Suncoast thought they had gotten one copy in, but couldn't tell, and offered to order me a copy. Nobody else had it.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Find mine last night in my local WalMart for $14.99. Was really suprised to see it there...I am thinking that they must have thought it was some kind of cute Easter movie or something.

Very pleased with the appearance of the film. Have no complaints about the disc at all. Thank you Warner!

(Now I am ready for the Peanuts Features to arrive on DVD...and Paramount, if and when, please letterbox them and if you must provide the P & S for those that want that!)

Here is to more animated titles on DVD!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I found out that the Best Buys in the area will be carrying one copy per store, but not for another week or two.
That's funny. I picked mine up at Best Buy last night. There was only one copy left (may have been the only one).

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
First of all, THANKS for this thread!

I had forgotten what a gem this film was.

Secondly, my Best Buy was out when I got there,

but I strolled down to Tower (few stores down),

figuring, even it is more money, I'd be paying that

in gas for another trip to somewhere else.

Tower had it, and ON SALE for the price you will

normally find it everywhere else: 14.99.

So, check out Tower and see if they have it on sale.

Mark

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the video quality rating, in the review referred to earlier in this thread, is a little overstated. The quality is good but you can see some dirt specks in various scenes, as well as some shimmering. I wish Warners had spent some time to clean up the video, instead of putting throwaway "extras" on this disc. The "extras" are worthless.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I was lucky enough to get this today. Another local Best Buy told me, after the first one, that they should have their one copy in stock Saturday morning. I didn't like those odds since my hope was to get this for my wife for Easter. Luckily today, at one of the Wal-Marts I had already checked, I found two copies. I picked mine up for $14.96.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Scored a copy (only one) last night at Best Buy while picking up a PC game (Jedi Knight II). Was there on Tues. but they didn't have any in then. Must have gotten a late shipment. Paid about 18$.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't know about you guys, but the DVD definitely looks overmatted to me, leading me to believe it should be 1.66:1.

In fact now that I think about it, isn't Giant also supposed to be 1.66:1. Warner's DVD of Giant, which was temporarily available in Canada, was also formatted to fit a 16x9 TV (at 1.78:1).

Has Warner ever released a 1.66:1 DVD or should be expect them all to be overmatted?

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon are 1.66, and I would assume there are others. I just can't think of any.

-Chad

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Kubricks. :b
I still think WD is overmatted though. :frowning:

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
It may be overmatted. The thing about the Warner true 1.66 releases is that they are all non-anamorphic.

Maybe Watership Down is 1.78 like most of the Warner non-2.35 releases. I haven't opened mine yet to know for sure.

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks