What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Blast of Silence (1961) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SylXsnj8nyxmO3Hp9ChAVQxpUuGdDL_large.jpg

Blast of Silence​

Swift, brutal, and blackhearted, Allen Baron’s New York City noir Blast of Silence is a sensational surprise. This low-budget, carefully crafted portrait of a hit man on assignment in Manhattan during Christmastime follows its stripped-down narrative with mechanical precision, yet also with an eye and ear for the oddball details of urban living and the imposing beauty of the city. At once visually ragged and artfully composed, and featuring rough, poetic narration performed by Lionel Stander and written by Waldo Salt (both uncredited), Blast of Silence is a stylish triumph.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 77 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.85:1 and 1.33:1
  • English
  • Spine #428

DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration presented in two aspect ratios, 1.85:1 (widescreen) and 1.33:1 (full-screen), with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • Requiem for a Killer: The Making of “Blast of Silence”
    • Rare on-set Polaroids
    • Photos of locations from the film in 2008
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty and a graphic-novel adaptation of the film by acclaimed artist Sean Phillips (Criminal, Reckless, Fatale)

Cover by Sean Phillips

December 5, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's too bad Peter Falk wasn't able to appear as the lead actor in this movie. It's still a definite purchase for me as it helped usher in a new era of independent and neo-noir movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sitting here thinking do I want to be positive or negative! So, instead of one of the many RKO film noir, we get a low budget Universal movie that hardly anybody will have seen.
This has been Criterion's MO for a good while now. As to this particular film, it's well known to film noir aficionados.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Well, it got a whole chapter in Incredibly Strange Films, so that might be a solid recommendation for some. I, like I think many on this board, already have the DVD, and probably won't upgrade, but for those who haven't seen it, it's similar in both style and subject to Murder By Contract and if you like that film, you might enjoy this. It was shot in Alphabet City in the early 60's, and that in itself is fascinating, also lending the film echoes of punk/no-wave filmmaker Amos Poe's neo-noir The Foreigner. Stylistically, it has a lot in common to Kubrick's Killer's Kiss, including shaky hand-held takes that attempt to ape Ophuls and Welles. And then there's that crazy narration which merges grindhouse with arthouse.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
One of my favorite noirs of all time. It's too bad there are no new extras, but I'll happily upgrade my DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Unfortunately, it appears Criterion has turned their collective back on audio commentaries.
Well there is a SAG strike happening. I'm a middleside in the film and exhibition industry and I was told commentaries are forbidden, for they publicize a film.

I may be totally wrong and if so expect to be set straight. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well there is a SAG strike happening. I'm a middleside in the film and exhibition industry and I was told commentaries are forbidden, for they publicize a film.

They stopped doing audio commentaries long before this strike.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Criterion: "We're offering two aspect ratios for Blast of Silence so you can chose between 1.33 and 1.85:1!"

Also Criterion: "How DARE you suggest Summertime was shown in anything other than Academy Ratio! THOSE GATE HAIRS WERE THERE ORIGINALLY!!!!!!!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Criterion: "We're offering two aspect ratios for Blast of Silence so you can chose between 1.33 and 1.85:1!"

Also Criterion: "How DARE you suggest Summertime was shown in anything other than Academy Ratio! THOSE GATE HAIRS WERE THERE ORIGINALLY!!!!!!!"

That's a great point

I personally pleaded with my contact at Criterion to offer both aspect ratios on SUMMERTIME to appease everyone.

They could have easily done it but refused.

But they offer two different aspect ratios for this title.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor

If the commentators aren't actors in SAG they wouldn't be restricted.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That's a great point

I personally pleaded with my contact at Criterion to offer both aspect ratios on SUMMERTIME to appease everyone.

They could have easily done it but refused.

But they offer two different aspect ratios for this title.
Yeah this and For All Mankind..which has no business being in 1.85:1 at all.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon preorder placeholder post #2. Should go live later today

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks