Waterproof outdoor speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BrianRS, Jun 19, 2005.

1. BrianRS

BrianRS Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a pair of inexpensive outdoor speakers to replace ones that were mounted on the back of my house by my deck. I've looked at several brands of outdoor speakers and whether they say weather "resistent" or weather "proof" they all say that they shouldn't get rained on. I'm not sure what the last pair I had were, but they lasted eight years.

Are any brands (technically) going to be able to survive the rain? Any suggestions?

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Popular brands to consider:

Boston Voyager Series
    Russound
    Paradigm

Or if you want to explore an online company http://www.av123.com has some new ones. Don't know how they sound but they are offering buy one pair for full price get the 2nd pair for 50% off so $150 for 2 pairs is a good deal IMHO.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If your last pair lasted eight years out in the rain, you can’t expect better than that. I’d get another set, if they’re still available.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what your definition of "inexpensive" is but I have a pair of Energy Temptests that sound nice and they seem very tough and have a 5 year warranty. I take them inside in the winter (Canadian) just because we are never outside. Also Athena makes an outdoor speaker with a bigger woofer. Either of these can be had for a good price. (

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a pair of Boston Voyager Series in white that sound good. I bought them for the bathroom and then the wife wanted in wall speakers. Never used them outside and the only flaw is one of the metal grills is a little pushed in....and can be smooth out. Email if interested or want other details. I am thinking somewhere around $100 or if you have something I want I would trade
    Grant

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Go look at the outdoor speakers at av123.com.. I think they have sale going on like buy a pair and get the second pair for 1/2 off or something. Don't quote me on that as I have not been shopping for outdoor speakers but I saw it in a thread there. Just call the guys there and they will take care of you.. Great folks to deal with and I know there was a pretty long guarantee on them. I think they are like $100 a pair.