What's new

Which outdoor speakers to get? Polk vs Bose (1 Viewer)

AudiophileGeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a couple of sound systems for my backyard swimming pool and thought of getting more views on this. I'm considering between the polk audio atrium garden outdoor speakers and the bose free space 51 environmental speakers. Both have good material construction and waterproofing - so the question boils down to the sound quality. I'm pretty sure both bose and polk are reputable brands but i don't have much experience with how they sound outdoors. What I like about the bose free space is that it has omni-directional sound, whereas the polk comes with two satellite speakers and a subwoofer. Anyone with experience on these speakers I would love to hear your thoughts. Cheers people! :cool:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since these are outside...pick the most efficient, which I doubt is the Bose.Add Klipsch to your list. Klipsch outdoor are as much as 95db efficient.(Model number of this Polk would help, have never heard of an outdoor sat/sub speaker set. Atrium is nothing but the name of the line of Polk speakers meant for outdoors)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
AudiophileGeek said:
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a couple of sound systems for my backyard swimming pool and thought of getting more views on this. I'm considering between the polk audio atrium garden outdoor speakers and the bose free space 51 environmental speakers. Both have good material construction and waterproofing - so the question boils down to the sound quality. I'm pretty sure both bose and polk are reputable brands but i don't have much experience with how they sound outdoors. What I like about the bose free space is that it has omni-directional sound, whereas the polk comes with two satellite speakers and a subwoofer. Anyone with experience on these speakers I would love to hear your thoughts. Cheers people! :cool:
I'm not familiar with BO$E outdoor speakers but if they are anything like the indoor ones, they are pure marketing BS (and no doubt WAY overpriced).

AudiophileGeek

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
schan1269 said:
Since these are outside...pick the most efficient, which I doubt is the Bose.Add Klipsch to your list. Klipsch outdoor are as much as 95db efficient.(Model number of this Polk would help, have never heard of an outdoor sat/sub speaker set. Atrium is nothing but the name of the line of Polk speakers meant for outdoors)
Polk Audio AM3385-A Atrium Sat30 Outdoor Speaker

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't know where you get that a sub comes with the 3385. Not aware of any outdoor subs either.Buy the Atrium 5 or 8. The 3.5" "woofer" in the 3385 isn't going to do anything outside.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
You didn't mention a budget for your speakers.

Had a good friend install a pair of these for his pool - they looked/sounded great and were only $150 for the pair.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Outdoor-Speakers/Q65-Outdoor-Speakers

Had them hooked up under the eves - and connected to zone 2 of his amp.

They sounded surprisingly good - even without a sub....

If you can find an outdoor sub I'm sure it will enhance the effect...but you might want to try without first and see if they fit your needs.

Haven't heard any of the two that you mentioned - but thought I would add a 3rd choice to your list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks