What's new

waterfall graphs (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I want to learn how you do the waterfall graphs. I want to do some assignments so I can learn more about bassy sounds.

What tools do I need? Is there any free software? Is there anything that I need to attach to my computer? Let me know what things I need so I can get started.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Neil,

Let's see if we can keep this thread non-controversial. :)

This thread has some discussion on creating waterfall charts, I believe. If not, it's got a couple of poeple who make them participating in it, so you could always PM them directly.

-Robb

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
There is quite sufficient info in those links to help you get going.

The waterfall graphs are not as accurate (I stress this) as proper test and measurement instruments, but the results from spectrum lab are good enough to appreciate how low bass goes, and how loud it is respective to other bass freq.

Spectrum lab is a very flexible software, but I find it useful to plot waterfall charts for recorded media only.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed one thing though. The more volume I put on my receiver, the more evident the deep bass is seen by Spectrum Lab. Why is it so?

Thanks.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I just realised in the other thread what you were trying to do.

Realistically, you'd want to use a measurement microphone if you want to record bass to a reasonably accurate degree. You can't just use any microphone to record bass.

If you don't want to go the mic route, what you want to do is to connect the LFE-out from your amp to the line in of your pc sound card.

Set the volume levels on the amp and pc mixers to the right level and you're all set.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to say how much fun Spectrum Lab is. Thanks for the link. :)

I downloaded this great freeware and was analysing my favorite "bassy" CDs within seconds. I just dropped them into my computer drive and away it went.

So much for believing incredibly deep, loud bass was all over my "extra bassy" CDs though. Apart from the organ CDs most of it only went as low as 30Hz!

I'm having a go at my DVDs next.

Imagination is a wonderful measuring tool. Not! :b

ChrisBee

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator

Now, things just went clearer. I thought, the purpose of creating a waterfall is to show how much low our subwoofer can go. :)

Question though, how do I get to my pc's mixer setting? And what should be the desirable setting?

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks