What's new

Watching Movies in Mono (1 Viewer)

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
A thread in the software forum reminded me to ask this question. I have a Yamaha RXV-800, when I watch a movie that is encoded in Mono, it still defaults to Pro-Logic. How do you guys watch mono movies, and is there a setting or way to listen to the source exactly as encoded without processing?

Thanks

Joey

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Is there a 'Stereo Direct' mode on your receiver. If there is no discrete L/R signal, it may play Mono through both fronts.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It probably defaults to Pro-Logic because that is what the movie is recorded in. Dolby Digital can support mono, although it will obviously be center channel only.

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with either for a mono movie. You want the sound in the center channel for one of those. If you don’t like that, you can always do as Paul suggested, and play it in Direct mode.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I did some experimenting and found this:

If the movie is in DD 1.0 mono (Snow White) then it plays only through the center channel. Makes sense.

If the movie is in DD 2.0 mono (Terminator, Conan, Butch Cassidy) then it goes to Pro-Logic, which sounds OK, I'm just trying to get it to play back as intended. I just figured that it would play through the mains only in 2.0 Mono.

I guess I'll just turn the effect off and let them play through the mains.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks