What's new

Warrenty or no? On line or local? (1 Viewer)

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray
HDTV is the topic, what are the goods and bads about the warrenty? It's obvious I can buy cheaper on line, but should I purchase locally incase there is an issue?

What have you done, what would you have done diffrently and/or what would you do differnet if you could do it over?

Thank you

mrpaseo

Agent
Real Name
Ray
Well, I went with the warranty. After doing some research it seems NO ONE talks about these like it's some sort of voodoo. Anyway, after noticing the issues and the lack of help the companies want to give I opted to be safe rather than sorry. The company I purchased the HDTV from knocked almost 900 off the price of the set, as well as gave me the mount (For the wall) at half price. In the end, I paid for the TV and taxes.... the mount and delivery was free.

Thanks for looking everyone,
Ray

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It's insurance. Peace of mind stuff. If you don't think you can afford to pay for the repair in year 3 of the product's life ... then the extended warranty is a good idea.

No one says you have to pay what they ask for it though. There should always be bargaining room here.

regards

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Generally I'm not a fan of extended warranties, but I do make an exception for large displays. A power supply on my RPTV died about 28 months after purchase, the warranty saved me twice what it had cost. But as Michael said, there should be room to negotiate with the seller. Never pay list price for a warranty.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have never bought an extended warranty and I doubt I ever will. Luckily I have never needed one either. Sooner or later though it would probably come in handy, but I figure with all the money I saved by not buying them, in the long run I will still come out ahead. Extended warranty folks know the odds and I am sure they figured it out so they come out on top.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

That line of thinking works best if you actually put aside the money, not used to buy warranties, and have it on-hand (or in a liquid interest-bearing account) when unfortunate things happen with big-ticket electronics. The warranties for big, bulky items are more about not having to deal with transporting the big, bulky items to a service center for repair, or dealing with paying someone to show up at your home and assessing the situation for the repair without even getting it repaired if the estimate is too high.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Also realize that if a particular circuit board in no longer available, (no one builds new boards for old TVs) then it may not be repairable, regardless of how much you're willing to pay. Extended warranties got so expensive because three year old flat panels usually get replaced, not repaired.

You may have also noticed that extended warranty time limits have started to change also, with 2 year becoming more common. (+ extensions needed to extend to 5 years, or 4 year cutoffs to get around all of the catastrophic 5 year problems)

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I usaually do not purchase the extended warranties. However after recently spending a considerable amount of money on new equipment for my dedicated theater room, I am debating on purchasing the extended warranty on the projector I am thinking about purchasing. I will probably purchase it locally as well. A $500 item I don't think so; but a $2000+ Item like a projector or Large Screen DLP, LCD, or Plasma I believe I might go ahead and buy one. Most of the time they are between $300 and $400 at the major retailers. I think of that as Insurance that I will not miss my Movie's. LOL

Good Luck, Chris

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

I have just become a Mack Warranty dealer. Email me if you are interested.

I can offer an extended warranty on any display that is more than 90 days from manufacturer's expiration date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks