What's new

Warner hints at Singin' In The Rain SE in 2002? (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I was checking the Studio Day report on http://www.dvdfile.com, for "musical" + "1952", and look what popped up, Singin' In The Rain. I have never seen this one, but hear it's classic and so I might just have to wait for the SE to see it first.
-Tom

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
You "hear" it's a classic? You're darn tootin' it's a classic! The current dvd is awfully good - get it or rent it now; you will not be disappointed. An SE release next year, if true, is too damned long to wait.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Look forward to the SE. Hopefully it will contain the deleted musical number that was on a Laserdisc Box set. Perhaps co-director Stanely Donen and stars Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor will be offering commentary. The current disc is fine as well. Dum de dum dum.
wink.gif

------------------

Seth

Agent
What happened to the Special Edition of An American in Paris that was supposed to come out this year? I know it was being worked on. I'll bet any one a penny this dvd will be a 50th anniversary edition of An American In Paris and not Singin' in the Rain.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Seth, I looked up An American In Paris on imdb and it seems it came out in 1951, not 1952. Now, unless the guys at Warner can't count, this probably isn't going to be the one.
-Tom

Seth

Agent
Tom, next week is the 50th anniversary of
An American In Paris. It world premiered in Oct. of 1951. So technically it will still be 50 till October of 2002. The reason I brought this up was because I read a couple of mags that said a remastering of An American In Paris was in the works which was tentatively planned for a summer of 2001 dvd release. So far it hasn't shown up so maybe early next year.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Not that I don't like Singin' in the Rain ... or American in Paris, for that matter, but the DVDs out are already very good, and there are so many other musicals that Warner could release that don't already have good DVDs, that I have mixed feelings about this news. Give me a Yankee Doodle Dandy 60th anniversary SE instead (or in addition :))and I'll be sound as a pound!
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I asked the Warner rep about a few musicals and he strongly hinted that a special edition of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN was coming next year. He also alluded to a release of HIGH SOCIETY. One I asked about, BANDWAGON, apparently needs some extensive restoration before it can be released.
-greg

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking to pick up Singin' in the Rain, but I can't find the release I want (the MGM one, with the three stars on the cover under umbrellas). The non-preferred (by me) release is, I think WB/snapper. Yes? Is the MGM OOP? Is the WB comparable (aside from the evil case)?
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIRC the Warner and MGM disks are EXACTLY the same. Only the package is different.
In fact I just went and pulled my Warner/snapper copy and the disk itself is labled "Turner MGM".
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin
[Edited last by Dennis Nicholls on September 30, 2001 at 11:05 PM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Yes, the current DVD is lovely.
Let me jump a step ahead for those who will inevitibly ask this question after buying it. Yes, the DVD starts out by saying it was formatted to fit your screen. Please ignore that. The OAR of the movie is 1.37:1, so it is no more "formatted" than any other 1.37:1 film on DVD.
:)
------------------
ribbon.gif
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the discs are the same, but the MGM version comes with a priceless "collectible" booklet.
I'd love to have an SE of Singin, but ANY release of Yankee Doodle Dandy would be even better.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've also been searching the B&Ms for the MGM version w/the collectible booklet (damn, guess those things really are collectible, after all!).
Is there anyway we can get a confirmation on the possible SE?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Just what the world needs - another video release of "Singing in the Rain" - what, is this like the 12th time it's been re-released, how about films yet to come out on video instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks