What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (2 Viewers)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I've had a couple of Warner DVD titles go bad also -- when I enquired about a replacement I was informed they wouldn't be prepared to ship new copies to me here in the UK (even if I paid for shipping!).

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've had a couple of Warner DVD titles go bad also -- when I enquired about a replacement I was informed they wouldn't be prepared to ship new copies to me here in the UK (even if I paid for shipping!).

That's disappointing. WB certainly sent me, in the UK, a replacement DVD some years ago when there was a problem with the initial pressings - can't remember the title now. Disney did the same once.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I had the same bad feeling when I opened up Julius Caesar. It's been some years since I viewed it and the whole reflective side of the disc had blotches all over. It worked fine and no hang ups though. Curiously, Air Force and Dark Passage look mint and froze up.

I checked my JULIUS CAESAR. It doesn’t play in my Panasonic DVD recorder but does play in my Sony Blu-ray player.

It’s not looking good. I’ve only checked 10 discs and 2 of them have problems.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yes it was very disappointing, especially since I've amassed a huge collection of Warner DVD titles over the years -- I'm worried about what else may fail on me now. As a result, over the past few months, I have now been importing far less Warner DVD & Blu-ray titles to the UK from the US. But will continue to support Criterion and other studios who have sent me replacement discs in the past, hassle free.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I've been working through all my Warner discs and no problem yet. The upside was re-watching the incredible BLUES IN THE NIGHT. I'd forgotten what a weird and wonderful film that is. Great work by Don Siegel on the various montages and dream sequences.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Lusty Men, Across to Singapore, Trial, One Way Passage, The Damned Dont Cry all played fine this weekend.. and so did Soylent Green - the blu ray edition

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Checked two more films: Air Force & Baby Doll - both played fine.

Also checked two Warners discs from 2005, The Americanization of Emily & A Face in the Crowd and they were both fine.

I have a feeling some of my discs failed due to ultra high humidity. I had placed a lot of my DVD's in a plastic crate out in my back storage building which isn't climate controlled. Only the WB discs were affected though so maybe it just accelerated the process of them not working it. I ordered some replacement copies for Air Force and Bombers B52 and will keep them all inside my house from now on.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Watched Baby Doll last night and it played fine.

Also checked Cabin in the Sky, It Happened on 5th Avenue and The Shop Around the Corner which is a flipper disc and part of a 4 disc set. I didn't check the other 3 films as I only purchased the set for The Shop Around the Corner. Anyway, they all appeared fine.

Ditto I Remember Mamma though that was pressed prior to 2006-2009.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Does anyone know if any of the discs in the following two collections (both 2006 releases) are having such problems (freezing, skipping, piexelating, etc.):

The Cecil B. DeMille Collection: (Cleopatra/ The Crusades/ Four Frightened People/ Sign of the Cross/ Union Pacific)

The Marlon Brando Collection: (Julius Caesar / Mutiny on the Bounty 1962 / Reflections in a Golden Eye / The Teahouse of the August Moon / The Formula )

I have read reviews on Amazon about both sets and while there doesn’t appear to be any mention of problems with the DeMille set, there are problems mentioned about the discs in the Brando set.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I dont have those sets, so I cant vouch, hopefully someone will .
I will say I watched the blu ray of Dark Victory and no issues occured :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No problem with the DeMille Collection set.

I have watched Julius Caesar and Reflections in a Golden Eye fairly recently with no problems, but I haven't watched The Formula at all yet, and I will rectify that at some point during the rest of this week or weekend. Gave Bounty away after I got the Blu-ray.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
The problems I had with Julius Caesar were the single disc edition not the one that was part of the Marlon Brando boxset.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Formula this afternoon from the Brando box set and everything was AOK.

Afterward I took the DVD of Warners' The Roaring Twenties off the shelf and watched it with no problems either.

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
Has anyone contacted WB recently to ask about replacement discs? They really should replace these discs since it’s such a widespread problem.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did, the process is easy. A few pages back there is a link to who to contact. Sherri Bogard will reply asking a few questions about where you bought it from and when. She will then send a letter with a pre-paid Fed Ex return label and instructions on what to do. I just did that on Thursday, it's a drop off at Fed Ex via 2 day service and you can use a free fed ex box or parcel. Id assume once received the replacement DVDs will go out. In my case they will be Warner Archive DVD/MOD as the original DVDs are out of print. A lot of the older DVDs were released again via Warner Archive

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks