What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (1 Viewer)

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I watched A Summer Place & Kid Galahad over the weekend and both played fine.

The Sea Hawk, Mr. Skeffington, The Silver Chalice & Mighty Joe Young (which was pressed in 2005 so not effected anyway) were all fine.

However, The Little Giant & A Midsummer Night's Dream both stopped about half way through on two machines. I only watched A Midsummer a couple of years ago and it was fine then.

So far about 40 have tested or played fine. 18 have failed and that includes everything in the Crawford boxset (the one with Sadie McKee). Some of the 18 'failed' discs were watched in the past without any problems - Land of the Pharaohs being the exception.

That is not a great success rate. I know I have more Warner titles from 2006-2009, I'll need to go through my DVD list to identify them. Once done, I'll email Warners.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Im watching the movies in their entirety since I like them :) Its like an audit to see if they work and be entertained at the same time
Yeah, I have too many discs (DVD, Blu-ray, 4K/UHD) to watch all the suspected titles in their entirety. This morning I checked In This Our Life, The Little Giant and Sadie McKee without any issues. I think I'm going to stop checking the rest of them and just watch certain discs in their entirety, when I'm in the mood to watch a specific title.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I just noticed that my blu-ray of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy no longer plays in any machine.
Disney has a replacement program, but it will cost you $ to get a replacement, if it is still in print. Most older Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures titles have since been licensed out to Mill Creek and Kino.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, I have too many discs (DVD, Blu-ray, 4K/UHD) to watch all the suspected titles in their entirety. This morning I checked In This Our Life, The Little Giant and Sadie McKee without any issues. I think I'm going to stop checking the rest of them and just watch certain discs in their entirety, when I'm in the mood to watch a specific title.
Im watching Watch on The Rhine now.. probably check at least one more Bette Davis movie tonight.. her melodrama films run around 2 hours + or - so it's hard to watch them all on a weeknight :)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
All This and Heaven Too FROZE from Chapters 23-25 starting at the 1:18 mark, and at the end of the picture :(

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Great Lie played fine all the way through - 2 out of 6 of Davis' Volume 3 films were defective

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Just discovered that my THX-1138 blu-ray has conked out. Tried it on three different players and the computer drive and no go.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just discovered that my THX-1138 blu-ray has conked out. Tried it on three different players and the computer drive and no go.
The blu ray ??? jeez.

The Narrow Margin,, Fog Over Frisco, I Found Stella Parish & The Letter DVDs all played fine thank God again ! :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don’t think it’s a good idea for me to check whether my discs still play. For all I know none of them do! I watch them once and put them on the shelf :)

Since writing the above about 2 weeks ago, I coincidentally wanted to watch THE BIG STEAL which I hadn't seen for many years and which is part of the WB Film Noir Collection Vol 4. Each of the 5 discs in the collection is a double feature. THE BIG STEAL is paired with ILLEGAL and although that plays OK, THE BIG STEAL doesn't play at all. Fortunately all the other discs in the collection play OK.

I don't know if I dare check all my other WB DVDs of which I have a large number!

EDIT: I see that post 76 also mentions problems with this collection. I see that individual discs from the collection are available on Amazon but who knows if they will also have problems?

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Ouch, I posted in another thread about some of my DVDs developing a haze on the reflective side of the disc and the discs were no longer functioning (freezing at a certain point). I did some background on the ones that were freezing and they were all WB titles. So far I've had issues with Air Force and Bombers B-52. I need to check Land of the Pharaohs and Colossus of Rhodes as I love those films! Some of the other titles that developed a haze on the disc were my Bogart/Bacall box set but I haven't tested it yet. I live in a humid environment, SE Texas...

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I tested a few potential troubled DVD's from WB and came out with these results. I cleaned the lenses on two players just to eliminate that potential variable.

Bombers B52 - frozen around chapter 8
Air Force - frozen around chapter 6
Public Enemy - works fine
Julius Caesar - works fine
Land of the Pharaohs - works fine
Colossus of Rhodes - works fine
The Prodigal - works fine
Dark Passage - frozen around chapter 10
Key Largo - works fine
The Big Sleep - works fine
To Have and Have Not - works fine
FBI Story - works fine
Spirit of St. Louis - works fine

I'll do some more checking in the next few days.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I checked LAND OF THE PHAROHS in view of reported problems but it plays fine. There are, however, several curious looking blotches on the disc. That great vintage collection LEGENDS OF HORROR with 6 films on 3 discs plays OK.

I had the same bad feeling when I opened up Julius Caesar. It's been some years since I viewed it and the whole reflective side of the disc had blotches all over. It worked fine and no hang ups though. Curiously, Air Force and Dark Passage look mint and froze up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks