What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now you've got me worried ... was yours in the Classic Comedies set ?

516HqvPiwPL.jpg

It looks like the cheapest way to get a new copy would be to buy this set
81EpJolJLQL._SX342_.jpg
I played the first 30 minutes of Dinner at Eight disc from that Classic Comedies Collection without any issues.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
These sorts of things are usually a matter of a player going out of alignment. Discs don't "go bad" unless they are subject to rot or they get beat up. And those things are something you can see by looking at the disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These sorts of things are usually a matter of a player going out of alignment. Discs don't "go bad" unless they are subject to rot or they get beat up. And those things are something you can see by looking at the disc.

I've got an Oppo-203. I don't think the issue with Dinner at Eight is with my player.

So far, it has handled everything I have thrown at it with great alacrity.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
No, Bryan. It was the single-disc stand-alone release. That's the cover art I posted.

But in many instances, these are the same discs in the multi-disc compilation releases...
I have the set and mine had the same cover art ... I think a short time later, they switched to thin cases ...

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Add High Sierra to the list of Warner DVDs that started freezing up and skipping after one hour.. Im going to have my own Warner night at the movies with the sole purpose to check to see if the DVDs still play. Even Each Dawn I Die froze at the one hour mark but I was able to watch without further interruption ..so sadly their older DVD releases seem to have issues

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Earlier this year, I got out my "Tarzan, v. 2" (Weissmuller) set, and had problems with "Tarzan and the Leopard Woman" (1946). The typical stuttering and skipping. I tried the disc on three separate players, and each time had troubles. Quite dismaying. Played fine when I first got the set. It left me worrying about a lot of other similar, old pressed-disc purchases sitting on my shelves.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Now you've got me worried ... was yours in the Classic Comedies set ?

516HqvPiwPL.jpg

It looks like the cheapest way to get a new copy would be to buy this set
81EpJolJLQL._SX342_.jpg
514cpEIks-L._SY300_.jpg

Just this week, I discovered that GOLD RAIDERS (1951) won't play at all on any of our devices. :(

To be fair, this disc was used even when I ordered it nearly 4 years ago, and it does have a slight scratch in the middle that I hadn't previously noticed when I also did a lazy menu check (I should have at least attempted to play both titles!) upon getting this DVD.

Live and learn!

CHEERS! :)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
View attachment 42518
Just this week, I discovered that GOLD RAIDERS (1951) won't play at all on any of our devices. :(

To be fair, this disc was used even when I ordered it nearly 4 years ago, and it does have a slight scratch in the middle that I hadn't previously noticed when I also did a lazy menu check (I should have at least attempted to play both titles!) upon getting this DVD.

Live and learn!

I bought it new. Only “Meet the Baron” plays but that title was the reason I bought it so I kept it as is.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
View attachment 42518

Live and learn!

I bought it new. Only “Meet the Baron” plays but that title was the reason I bought it so I kept it as is.
I ended up watching GOLD RAIDERS (1951) on YouTube, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it!

This seems like it might be a manufacturer's defect, as opposed to an isolated case regarding the above. Perhaps contacting somebody at Warner might be in order?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, contact Warner and tell them probably over two dozen of their DVDs stop playing after a few years :). I wonder what they could do at this point. Id rather not buy DVDs over and over especially since Blu rays have taken over the market, but who knows if Warner will release High Sierra or I Love You Again or Sadie McKee on Blu ray

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yeah, contact Warner and tell them probably over two dozen of their DVDs stop playing after a few years :). I wonder what they could do at this point. Id rather not buy DVDs over and over especially since Blu rays have taken over the market, but who knows if Warner will release High Sierra or I Love You Again or Sadie McKee on Blu ray
Realistically, I assume that I'm probably sol in terms of getting a replacement DVD out of Warner for what appears to be an oop title, and the Amazon Marketplace vendor appears to be no longer in operation, since Amazon Canada was unable to email them my feedback form. To Amazon.ca's credit, the CSR did reimburse me with Amazon credit, which she certainly wasn't obligated to do, and I hadn't requested that. Whether or not GOLD RAIDERS (1951) would play on a different DVD might be a dicey proposition, anyway.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Just checked my 5 disc Joan Crawford box set (A Woman's Face, Sadie McKee, Strange Cargo, Torch Song & Flamingo Road) and all the disc stops at some point when skipping from chapter to chapter.

Sadie McKee stopped at chapter 16 for me too. All the discs look fine and their is no sign of DVD rot, etc.

My Buster Keaton TCM two disc set that includes Spite Marriage simply won't play.

Worst of all was Forbidden Hollywood Collection - Volume 1. The Baby Face disc seems fine though I didn't chapter search until the end, however this disc with Red Headed Woman & Waterloo Bridge will not play Red Headed Woman but will play Waterloo Bridge. That disc has a curved mark on it from where is rests on the other disc in the casing. Don't know where ink came of and ruined the other disc but it played fine when I first purchased it. With Red Headed Lady if a go to a later chapter via the menu it will play but it won't let me skip the chapters back.

On the plus side Wild Boys on the Road still plays fine from a later Forbidden Hollywood Collection as does Laugh Clown Laugh from the Lon Channey box set.

I'm going to check them all in some other machines. I have checked Red Headed Woman in 3 machines so far and the Crawford set only in one.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I ordered a reasonably cheap used copy of the Jean Harlow TCM Collection to get a new copy of Dinner at Eight.

I figured my wife and I would probably enjoy the other films in the set as well (China Seas, Libeled Lady and Wife vs. Secretary).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I know before the DMCA it was legal to make one fair use backup copy of basically anything, even a movie, for the personal use of the owner of the movie. I'm not sure what the law is now. My guess is, it's illegal to break an encryption, even to make a fair use backup.

This has me wondering if I should backup my copies of Dr. Kildare. I got them early and they're pressed, but yikes!

Last edited:

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I am going to check my Dinner at Eight, The Star & Camille so see how they are all fairing tomorrow.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I ordered a reasonably cheap used copy of the Jean Harlow TCM Collection to get a new copy of Dinner at Eight.

I figured my wife and I would probably enjoy the other films in the set as well (China Seas, Libeled Lady and Wife vs. Secretary).

I received my copy of the Harlow collection in today's mail and Dinner at Eight loaded up and played perfectly.

Of course I only watched the first few minutes, but I'm hoping the whole thing plays through without trouble.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I checked my Dinner at Eight today in one DVD player and it appeared fine. Was able to skip from chapter to chapter until the end of the film and watched the last scene.

Also tried my Buster Keaton discs on my Blu Ray player and presto they played fine, which wasn't the case with my DVD player.

The Star with Bette Davis played fine on my DVD player, however The Old Maid would not go past about the half mark when skipping chapters. However, The Old Maid skipped from chapter to chapter until the end without a hitch on my Blu Ray.

Worth noting that when I watched Land of the Pharaohs three years ago on my Blu Ray player the disc played up for a 5 minutes but it played fine in my DVD player. I should check that disc again.

I also recently sold Attack of the 50 Foot Woman & Queen from Outer Space from the same box set recently and the people that purchased them from me didn't come back with any complaints about playback so all must be well with those.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ill have to watch my DVD of The Old Maid. As for the Joan Crawford set with Sadie McKee, it's now available as an MOD via Warner Archive .. more for the argument that WB needs to give these releases HD masters to prevent this problem. Im so glad I made this thread so we can all report what titles have issues and check our own copies

The discs in gatefold box sets are the hardest to replace unless they're part of the WAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks