What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (1 Viewer)

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
I just rebought the offending titles. They were luckily still in print or easy to obtain. So far the replacement copies are good to go.

I rebought my Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland set. The cheaper TCM version. But Amazon refunded me half the original purchase price, so it cost me about a dollar out of pocket.

When I discovered that my Forbidden Hollywood Volume 2 had problems I thought that WB really should make this right.

Like others on here I’m going to check through my DVDs and see what else may be faulty.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My first replacement for Dubarry Was a Lady was also faulty and would not play in any of my machines. I bought the TCM Lucille Ball set in which Dubarry was one of the films, and it played perfectly.

I got my money refunded for the faulty Dubarry.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Since writing the above about 2 weeks ago, I coincidentally wanted to watch THE BIG STEAL which I hadn't seen for many years and which is part of the WB Film Noir Collection Vol 4. Each of the 5 discs in the collection is a double feature. THE BIG STEAL is paired with ILLEGAL and although that plays OK, THE BIG STEAL doesn't play at all. Fortunately all the other discs in the collection play OK.

I don't know if I dare check all my other WB DVDs of which I have a large number!

EDIT: I see that post 76 also mentions problems with this collection. I see that individual discs from the collection are available on Amazon but who knows if they will also have problems?

I replaced my faulty ILLEGAL/BIG STEAL DVD by purchasing the Warner Archive version from Amazon.com and it plays fine.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You dont have to purchase it again if you contact Sherri Bogard at Warner.. just mail in the faulty discs. Right now Im just waiting for the replacements which she ordered, but they are free which is great. Hopefully Ill have the replacements for the titles within the next week.
Below is the link to reach out to Warner's customer service ( Sherri) and explain about any disc freezing/skipping/playback issues and they will replace it for free

https://www.warnerbros.com/customer-service

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You dont have to purchase it again if you contact Sherri Bogard at Warner.. just mail in the faulty discs. Right now Im just waiting for the replacements which she ordered, but they are free which is great. Hopefully Ill have the replacements for the titles within the next week.
Below is the link to reach out to Warner's customer service ( Sherri) and explain about any disc freezing/skipping/playback issues and they will replace it for free

https://www.warnerbros.com/customer-service

Thanks but I'm in the UK. So replacement not valid for me.

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
I went through my entire collection of WB DVDs and found problems with the following discs:

Flying Down to Rio (Astaire/Rogers Collection)
Forbidden Hollywood vol 2 disc 1 (The Divorcee/A Free Soul)
Popeye vol 1 discs 1 & 4
Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol 1 disc 1 & vol 5 disc 4
I Love You Again (Loy/Powell collection)
Night and Day (Cary Grant Collection)

I emailed Sherri so we’ll see what happens! I didn’t request a replacement for Night and Day, I just threw it out. I don’t care for the movie, it was just part of a box set.

I’m just hoping that other discs don’t go bad down the road. It concerns me when one disc of a box set will be bad, but the rest are fine.

I have a lot of DVDs and the majority were okay. So it could have been worse.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I went through my entire collection of WB DVDs and found problems with the following discs:

Flying Down to Rio (Astaire/Rogers Collection)
Forbidden Hollywood vol 2 disc 1 (The Divorcee/A Free Soul)
Popeye vol 1 discs 1 & 4
Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol 1 disc 1 & vol 5 disc 4
I Love You Again (Loy/Powell collection)
Night and Day (Cary Grant Collection)

I emailed Sherri so we’ll see what happens! I didn’t request a replacement for Night and Day, I just threw it out. I don’t care for the movie, it was just part of a box set.

I’m just hoping that other discs don’t go bad down the road. It concerns me when one disc of a box set will be bad, but the rest are fine.

I have a lot of DVDs and the majority were okay. So it could have been worse.

Looks like "I Love You Again" seems to be the big problem in that set as thats the movie I had to replace as well -
Looks like Ill need to check Forbidden Hollywood and the Jean Arthur sets that I have.. so far Forbidden Hollywood Volume 2 - The Divorcee and A Free Soul have played fine, ill get to the other three later this week.. I haven't seen them for awhile..it;s fun to revisit !

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched Forbidden Hollywood 5 and TCM Columbia Noir Collection IV and they played fine. Im still waiting for the replacement discs - Sherri said they are being sent from their warehouse to her and then will come to me. The process takes a few weeks, but it's worth it.

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
I watched Forbidden Hollywood 5 and TCM Columbia Noir Collection IV and they played fine. Im still waiting for the replacement discs - Sherri said they are being sent from their warehouse to her and then will come to me. The process takes a few weeks, but it's worth it.

I’m waiting for my shipping label. They agreed to replace all my discs.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just an update the my replacements are on the way, sent via Fed Ex overnight apparently.
Sherri is really pleasant and even apologized for the length of time to get the replacments out. I didnt mind waiting to be honest. They were free !

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
I watched “Female” on the Forbidden Hollywood vol 2 set last night. There were several areas of skipping at the end. I had thought it was okay when I fast forwarded through the entire movie.

Guess I better keep actually watching my WB discs. I just sent about 7 back to be replaced. I think I’ll wait to request a replacement until I watch more. This is very frustrating.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched “Female” on the Forbidden Hollywood vol 2 set last night. There were several areas of skipping at the end. I had thought it was okay when I fast forwarded through the entire movie.

Guess I better keep actually watching my WB discs. I just sent about 7 back to be replaced. I think I’ll wait to request a replacement until I watch more. This is very frustrating.

Especially watch their older releases - but you need to watch them in their entirety - I noticed most of mine started skipping after an hour...but to be safe watch it all the way through.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I recently purchased a new Blu Ray player. Anyway I checked all the faulty discs I have reported that I had already checked in a number of machines (both DVD and Blu Ray players) and only Dance Girl Dance had no freezing.

So I watched Dance Girl Dance last night in the new player and it played fine - but it's only a matter of time before it won't play on the machine, given it would play in any of my others.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just contact Sherri Bogard and get some free replacements, or upgrade to blu ray discs

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
I got my replacement discs this weekend. I took a quick look at them and noticed that my Divorcee/A Free Soul disc looked funny. I tried it out and it freezes and skips! The new one I just got.

I want to watch a few more of my movies and then Inguess I’ll have to re-contact Sherri.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks