What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (1 Viewer)

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Just finishing watching The Old Maid. When skipping chapters on one player previously it froze half way through though it skipped fine on another player.

Started playing the disc on a completely different player and it stopped half way through. Resumed playing it on my most recently purchased player and though it played through it stopped briefly twice and the end credits (short as they are) stopped and started.

Clearly the disc is going to die altogether some time in the future.

Also skipped chapters on Waterloo Bridge (the Vivien Leigh version) and it played fine.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Whilst not a Warner's disc my MGM/UA 2002 disc of Where's Poppa? would not play on any of my players. It played fine when I purchased it in 2009 but now it's completed dead - won't go to a menu, nothing. Into the bid it went. I'll purchase the Kino Blu Ray.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sounds like you will have a lot of titles to contact Sherri Bogard about ... some of the DVDs you can upgrade to blu ray at least.

blakey55

Grip
Real Name
stephen blake
babes in arms and girl crazy from the mickey rooney and judy garland boxset wont play.the other two discs are ok.have got 3 different players will not load in any of them,damn.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Three of the four films in my set went bad. Only Strike Up the Band remained playable. I replaced them by buying a bargain bin Mickey-Judy TCM set before we were given the information about replacing discs from Warners.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Have watched three more Warners titles and all were fine: All That Heaven Allows, Rachel Rachel & The Silver Chalice.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Just bought the WB Archive Alexander Hamilton DVD and right out of the shrinkwrap it faltered, pixilated and shut down between the chapter 1 / 2 point. Tried it several times, same thing, and this on an Oppo which plays everything. Even the brand new ones are not safe.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just bought the WB Archive Alexander Hamilton DVD and right out of the shrinkwrap it faltered, pixilated and shut down between the chapter 1 / 2 point. Tried it several times, same thing, and this on an Oppo which plays everything. Even the brand new ones are not safe.

I've been buying MODs from the Warners Archives since 2009 and I've never had one go bad on me yet. Yes, I've gotten ones right out of the shrinkwrap that wouldn't work but never had one "go bad" after several years unlike the pressed Warners discs.

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
I've been buying MODs from the Warners Archives since 2009 and I've never had one go bad on me yet. Yes, I've gotten ones right out of the shrinkwrap that wouldn't work but never had one "go bad" after several years unlike the pressed Warners discs.

Same. I feel more confident with MODs!

I watched Night Nurse and the pre-code special (Thou Shalt Not) from the Forbidden Hollywood Volume Two set this weekend. Played fine.

I made myself a little schedule to watch all my WB discs. Just forwarding through doesn’t catch all problems. Should be done by fall. I have three small children, so I have limited time to watch these! No weekend binges possible, Haha.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Is there a specific reason why these Warner’s DVDs are going bad? Is it a specific plant, or range of years of manufacture?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Is there a specific reason why these Warner’s DVDs are going bad? Is it a specific plant, or range of years of manufacture?

Before mid-2010, Warner's american released dvds were primarily manufactured at Cinram's optical disc plants in Toronto, Ontario (ifpi code 60**) and Olyphant, Pennsylvania (ifpi 2U**).

After mid-2010, Warner's american released dvds and blurays were manufactured at Technicolor's mexico plant (ifpi KK**). Currently Warner, Paramount, Universal, and Disney manufactured their dvds/blurays at Technicolor's mexico plant.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
in my experience out of the big cd/dvd/bluray disc manufacturers over the past 15+ years, Cinram had the worst quality control.

After Cinram went into freefall (after Warner didn't renew their contract with Cinram) and eventually died, the worst large optical disc manufacturer is now Sonopress.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a huge tangent).

One big reason I haven't purchased any 4Kbluray discs (yet), is that Sonopress is purportedly a big player in 4Kbluray. Warner and Universal are known to have contracted their 4Kbluray disc manufacturing to Sonopress.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Isn't only Warners disc from about 2005 to 2009/10.

I've had over a dozen fail from that period but every single disc prior to 2005, including those in snap cases are fine.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I got my replacement discs this weekend. I took a quick look at them and noticed that my Divorcee/A Free Soul disc looked funny. I tried it out and it freezes and skips!
I tried playing my copy of the same disc today. A Free Soul has problems. There is a haze coating the disc now too.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks from here to all who've reported problems & given clues to check. I've found a few of the same in my own collection - even to the disc haze on Forbidden Hollywood V2 disc 1 reported by Blimpoy06 just above. Thankfully my Looney Tunes Golden Collections seem to have avoided this problem so far, but I'll sadly confirm Popeye Volume 1 (disc 4, buried in the extras / "from the vault"), and "I Love You Again" from the Loy/Powell collection.

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
Thanks from here to all who've reported problems & given clues to check. I've found a few of the same in my own collection - even to the disc haze on Forbidden Hollywood V2 disc 1 reported by Blimpoy06 just above. Thankfully my Looney Tunes Golden Collections seem to have avoided this problem so far, but I'll sadly confirm Popeye Volume 1 (disc 4, buried in the extras / "from the vault"), and "I Love You Again" from the Loy/Powell collection.

Those are the same discs I had trouble with. My original and replacement Forbidden Hollywood vol 2 disc 1 both had that haze.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched a Warner Archive MOD disc last night, The Black Hand, and it played without any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks