What's new

Warner Bros. Robert Benchley Shorts... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I know that these have been included as extras on many of Warners classic film releases, but would anyone else like to have them available in a single disc collection?

I would really love to be able to watch all of the 'How To' shorts and Benchley's other comedy shorts made for WB in one sitting and have them available to referance in a nice package or even compilation disc.

Since they are already restored and essentially ready to be mastered to disc, it wouldn't take much to string something simple together.

How's about it WB, a nice little budget collection of these shorts for late night viewing rather than having to shuffle through the supplemental features on dozens of box set?

Does anyone else share the same sentiments?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
It'd be nice, but would they sell any copies? I don't know the restoration state of them either. Have they done any restoration for the shorts that have already been released? Maybe some are in better condition than others?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how extensive the remastering has been, but they certainly appear to be cleaned up nicely on DVD. Of all the shorts released so far that Ive seen on Warners classics, all have looked fantastic. If the remainder of their library is in similar condition, it really shouldn't take much to compile a release. I'd even be satisfied (for now!) with a collection of everything that WB has already offered with a couple of extra shorts on one single disc at an affordable price...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I own that disc George and while still highly enjoyable, it unfortunately consists of his later and for the most part, lesser shorts done at Paramount in the 40's.

PatH

Second Unit
For me, Benchley is funny in small doses and Joe McDoakes depends on the subject (the one about movie audiences is funny). Pete Smith causes me to run from the room (not easy, as I'm in a wheelchair). But what I'd kill for is Crime Does Not Pay and John Nesbit (sp?) 's Passing Parade. Warner?

PatH

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to Robert Benchley shorts, I'd love to see a box set of Pete Smith Specialties. The few that I've seen on TCM and on DVD are very funny and well made.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
There are 6 x Robert Benchley shorts, as well as 5 x Passing Parades, 6 x Pete Smith Specialties, not to mention 3 x Three Stooges shorts on the Laserdisc Box Set "The Fabulous M-G-M Shorts".

"Cavalcade of MGM Shorts Volume 2 contains 3 x Crime Does Not Pay Shorts, another 6 x Pete Smith, not to mention 6 x wonderful James A Fitzpatrick Technicolor Travel Talks.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
At last year's Warner chat, I specifically requested boxed sets of Benchley and CRIME DOES NOT PAY shorts, and they said no, but they'd continue to release them from time to time as extras on their vintage film discs.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad, maybe I should keep an eye out for those Cavalcade Of MGM Shorts on laserdisc. They sound great..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks