What's new

Warner Bros. remastering "Batman: The Animated Series" for Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100817-1530

At a 25th anniversary panel for the show at the New York Comic Con, Warner Bros. representative Gary Miereanu held up a DVD copy of "Batman: The Animated Series" and announced that it would be the last time Warner Bros. would be giving away a set on DVD, because a remastered Blu-ray version of the acclaimed series would be released in the fourth quarter of 2018.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What a terrific surprise! I guess it's because TAS and it's two successor series were the only DCAU shows initially rendered of 35mm instead of SD Digital (which is what they switched to late in Superman's run IIRC).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hope they continue and do Superman TAS as well.

B:TAS will look great in blu-ray. Mask of the Phantasm is a terrific blu-ray.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see how they handle the small animation mistakes which were mostly unnoticeable during a 480i NTSC broadcast but would significantly more noticeable with a high bitrate 1080p encode. My vote is to treat them like the glass with the snakes in Raiders of the Lost Ark or Audrey Hepburn's fillings in My Fair Lady: fix 'em so it's not distracting.

They're almost certainly making 16x9 masters as part of this process, to futureproof the series for other ancillary uses. But hopefully the Blu-Rays will be the original 4x3 framing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They're almost certainly making 16x9 masters as part of this process, to futureproof the series for other ancillary uses. But hopefully the Blu-Rays will be the original 4x3 framing.
Yeah, Warners knows their audience (if they didn't, this show wouldn't be coming to Blu-ray) so you'd think that they plan on having the correct framing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah this is weird news just 2 months ago when mask of the phantasm came out we had confirmation that they did not have the proper masters to do this show in HD. hmmm
The word was that while they did have the raw ingredients, it would be too expensive to do. My guess is that Phantasm sold really well and Warner Bros. decided to find the funds.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Season 1 (which was actually presented as two "seasons" because Fox Kids held back some of those episodes for Fall 1993 and then added some more in summer '94) is three times as long as the following one (or again two).

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
889709-batman-batman-beyond-batman-logo-black-background-dark.jpg

if they find the time, would help to complete the TimmVerse before they possibly tackle

download.php

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The set is coming October 16. Includes all four seasons, plus Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero.

Does anyone know if there will be a version without the swag?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The set is coming October 16. Includes all four seasons, plus Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero.

Does anyone know if there will be a version without the swag?
In today's market, 30,000 copies at a $110 MSRP will probably last a long time so I'd guess that a standard release will be at least a year away.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
In today's market, 30,000 copies at a $110 MSRP will probably last a long time so I'd guess that a standard release will be at least a year away.
30,000 will last a couple years at least. It takes TT 5 years to sell 3,000 copies. I know this is a lot more popular but 30,000 is indeed a lot in todays disc market.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

You'd think so and I'd normally agree. The only thing that makes me think it could come sooner is that when the Adam West series came out on BD, the big box came out first and then the standard edition was released mere weeks later.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You'd think so and I'd normally agree. The only thing that makes me think it could come sooner is that when the Adam West series came out on BD, the big box came out first and then the standard edition was released mere weeks later.
That one only came out weeks later? I thought it was the next Fall. The market has changed even in the last 4 years but then yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if The Animated Series release(s) loosely mirror whatever happened with the releases of the Adam West series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks