What's new

Warner Bros. remastering "Batman: The Animated Series" for Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That one only came out weeks later? I thought it was the next Fall. The market has changed even in the last 4 years but then yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if The Animated Series release(s) loosely mirror whatever happened with the releases of the Adam West series.

Yeah, I just looked it up to double check - the original "box o' junk" edition came out on November 11, 2014, and then the standard edition came out on December 16, 2014.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In any case, I don't really mind the swag. It's just stuff I will never look at. (What is the fascination with these Pop figures?)

I'll gladly get this sooner rather than later.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In any case, I don't really mind the swag. It's just stuff I will never look at. (What is the fascination with these Pop figures?)

I'll gladly get this sooner rather than later.

Like with the Batman Series I think a reasonable option will be to look at teh International Sets.
France already has what appears to be a basic no swag set for approx $66+ and they don't seem to be the cheapest of the Amazons. Their current release states late September, but I'll be shocked if they best the US by 3 weeks.

It will be interesting to see what Italy or Germany shows up with.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't really regret getting the Batman Adam West complete series in the limited edition packaging just because I was dying to see the episodes again and in that great quality. But, I think I paid $150 or $175 for that set. A month later, the version without the limited edition packaging came out and was priced around $75, so it would have been a huge savings. Plus, I don't love the limited edition packaging and it takes up shelf space I don't have.

I love TAS, but I'm not desperate to watch it again. I don't need to wait for a clearance sale at bargain basement prices but I will definitely keep an eye out to see if a discs-only version comes out relatively soon after the box o' junk edition is released.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You'd think so and I'd normally agree. The only thing that makes me think it could come sooner is that when the Adam West series came out on BD, the big box came out first and then the standard edition was released mere weeks later.
But you also have to take into account that the 1966 Batman series was a very hotly desired property. People who rarely purchase TV sets purchased that one. While I very much enjoy Batman:TAS I don't think it has the high level of desire as did the 1966 series, plus it's seen a DVD release. While I may eventually purchase a copy of this one, it's not high on my list simply because I own a DVD set that I'm happy with.

I didn't need, or want, the "box of junk" BR edition of the 1966 series and started with a DVD copy for that very reason. I later upgraded to "plain" BR, purchasing the Italian release, and got it for much less than I'd paid for that DVD copy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
But you also have to take into account that the 1966 Batman series was a very hotly desired property.

To this day, I'm pretty sure the '66 Batman set is the most expensive blu-ray (or DVD) set I have ever purchased. And I'm not complaining; the work that went into that made it worthwhile.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

To this day, I'm pretty sure the '66 Batman set is the most expensive blu-ray (or DVD) set I have ever purchased. And I'm not complaining; the work that went into that made it worthwhile.
For me, the price I paid for Get Smart beat it by "this much" (I paid $150 to TL and got the incredibly-complex-phone booth-box that I could do without and bonus discs I've still never watched). I'd given up on the supposed "wide release" coming - after a year or so - and caved when TL offered a coupon that dropped the price to one I could accept. I was a bit miffed that just 6 months later that wide release cycle started and a few months after that I could have purchased the series for 1/3 of what I'd paid. But I could say much the same about Batman as I purchased the DVD set about a month after release for $115 and had I waited could have purchased the seasons individually for 1/2 the cost. Even now that same set is less than half what I paid. But it was worth it. I'd been waiting for that release pretty much since the day DVDs went on sale (actually since the original airings as it was rarely syndicated around here and I only saw it a couple of times over the decades). I made up for it with the incredibly inexpensive price on the Italian BR complete series set. I paid a bit over $32 US (27.74 Euro just over 2 years ago) shipped for that one.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
For me, the price I paid for Get Smart beat it by "this much" (I paid $150 to TL and got the incredibly-complex-phone booth-box that I could do without and bonus discs I've still never watched). I

I forgot about Get Smart! Another one I waited forever for, and bought as soon as it was announced. I think I paid more for Batman though. Speaking of Get Smart, I think that show would look awesome on blu-ray, but there doesn't seem to be much interest. BTW, do watch those extras when you can - they are great. The video of Don Adams' 75th birthday party is hilarious. Also, DVD sets used to be a hell of a lot more expensive. I remember seasons of Star Trek TNG, X-Files, etc. were like $100 a piece when they came out in 2002-2003.

Back to TAS: I hope this is successful, because I would really like to see Superman: TAS on blu-ray as well. I recently rewatched that series with my kids and we all loved it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^ I've read the Superman: TAS DVDs may have some bad discs. I've not yet watched any of my sets yet so don't know if I'm affected. If those reports of bad discs being somewhat widespread are correct I'd think that would make it an incredibly good BR upgrade. Another I'd pick up eventually...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just took a good look at the "box of junk" version of Batman: TAS. I'll wait for a non special version. I don't need, nor want, the bobble heads and the packaging is yet another horrid book with page slots to hold the discs. I hate those things worse than digipak packaging!

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon

I got you beat. £110 for the complete set of The Real Ghostbusters:
Real-ghostbusters-dvd-cover-packaging-full-resolution.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
^ I've read the Superman: TAS DVDs may have some bad discs. I've not yet watched any of my sets yet so don't know if I'm affected. If those reports of bad discs being somewhat widespread are correct I'd think that would make it an incredibly good BR upgrade. Another I'd pick up eventually...

Mine don't, but I could easily see how some do. The three DVD sets consist of two discs each: 1 regular single-sided DVD and 1 double-sided DVD. Now, the Warner double-sided discs never had the number of errors that the Universal ones did (which was pretty much every one that came my way) but some Warner doubles do.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If they can do this, then maybe it's also technically possible to remaster Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain in HD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The release has been pushed back two week to Oct. 30, according to TV Shows on DVD's Facebook page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks