What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Ziegfeld Follies (1945) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
So it did not roadshow in NY? It premiered there continuous run at the Capitol?
It would appear to be continuous from this ad that appeared in the New York Times on March 23ed, 1946. The text that's cut off on the right reads: Last feature starts at 1AM.

Attachments

• ziegfeld-follies.png
    ziegfeld-follies.png
    25 KB · Views: 48

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Boston was the only road show.

The Astor (about 1,700 seats or so) on 45th and Broadway was the New York road show house for MGM pictures. In those days, the Capitol used all 5,000 or so seats and was just too large to be practical for reserved seat attractions. The Capitol DID do reserved seat shows in the 1960's after they curtained off large sections of the auditorium and reduced seating capacity.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
So after copying the ad from the New York Times, I read Bowsley Crowther's review. It was basically a rave. The only thing he disapproved of was the prologue by William Powell. He even defended the inconsistency of the various sequences, saying it was supposed to be a review, and reviews are of varting quality, which is a good thing. Clearly, he really liked it. But guess what his favorite part was? Fred Astaire & Lucille Bremer? Guess again. Fred Astaire & Gene Kelly? Nope. Red Skeleton. How times have changed.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That's at the Little Carnegie. They occasionally did quality revivals in between new features.

One of the longest running art houses in the city, I believe. It's opening attraction was the US premiere of Eisenstein's 10 DAYS THAT SHOOK THE WORLD in 1928. One of the last glimpses of it can be seen when the marquee makes an appearance in TOOTSIE as they're outside the Russian Tea Room.

large.jpg

I read Bowsley Crowther's review. It was basically a rave.

He actually LIKED something? :lol:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
One of the longest running art houses in the city, I believe. It's opening attraction was the US premiere of Eisenstein's 10 DAYS THAT SHOOK THE WORLD in 1928. One of the last glimpses of it can be seen when the marquee makes an appearance in TOOTSIE as they're outside the Russian Tea Room.

View attachment 97313

He actually LIKED something? :lol:
My first film professor was Herman Weinberg, who was a cinema enthusiast and raconteur. He knew everybody. He told me he went to see "Ten Days That Shook the World" at the Little Carnegie. When the film was over, he was so blown away that he remained in his seat. There was another person near him who also remained. "I have to talk to someone about this film," the man said to him. "It's so amazing. I came all the way from LA just to see it." It turned out to be Ernst Lubitsch. They had coffee next door in the Russian Tea Room. I know it doesn't sound very plausible, but then, what does?

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Boston was the only road show.

The Astor (about 1,700 seats or so) on 45th and Broadway was the New York road show house for MGM pictures. In those days, the Capitol used all 5,000 or so seats and was just too large to be practical for reserved seat attractions. The Capitol DID do reserved seat shows in the 1960's after they curtained off large sections of the auditorium and reduced seating capacity.
That was when they changed its name to Loew’s Cinerama. They played How the West Was Won and some of the 70mm Cinerama features such as 2001.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It was great going to the Little Carnegie to see the newest Woody Allen film which was quite the event. And the daily double bills at the Carnegie Hall Cinema when it was a revival house was one of New York's great joys. Sadly the Film Forum has turned into a single film revival house for the most part which even with a membership has become pricey. Why they have done this I have no idea. What are they thinking? Anyway it's always been a bad place to see widescreen films which reduces the screen to half its size which defeats the whole purpose. The screen is supposed to become larger not shrink.

Taylor * D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
I placed my order on Tuesday and it was waiting for me when I got home this afternoon. There was a note on the inside that explained the seller found a better copy and shipped that one instead of the used one I purchased. I suspect it's a first edition along with a little something extra:

IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg

Got this from a place called Hollywood Canteen in Toronto, ON. The guy that owns it is terrific, and his shop is astounding and filled to the brim with books. One happy movie lover here :)

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I placed my order on Tuesday and it was waiting for me when I got home this afternoon. There was a note on the inside that explained the seller found a better copy and shipped that one instead of the used one I purchased. I suspect it's a first edition along with a little something extra:

View attachment 97378 View attachment 97380

Got this from a place called Hollywood Canteen in Toronto, ON. The guy that owns it is terrific, and his shop is astounding and filled to the brim with books. One happy movie lover here :)
That's the cover of the edition which I own (though the cover is in tatters I've read the book so often and also used it for reference so much).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Did WA ever put out the actual press releases on this batch of blu-rays? It’s been a while now with no official word or specs on the transfers and extras.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Did WA ever put out the actual press releases on this batch of blu-rays? It’s been a while now with no official word or specs on the transfers and extras.

Nope.

It has been frustrating as we never know when these announcements are going to drop and an opinion has been expressed to me that we may not see announcement drops at all this month --- just preorder listings.

However, tomorrow is another Tuesday and if Warner is keeping their old announcement schedule, there could be press releases tomorrow.

ArtAD

Auditioning
Real Name
Art
This is coming out in a week and a half and still no details. IU know there is a change at WA but this is not good business. I am inclined to purchase-preorder but I guess I will wait for the review to see the extras that are included. I am hoping for more/different extras than what was on the DVD (Deleted opening even if it is unrestored and more deleted audio songs like the ones included on the Laserdisc).

Still hoping..........

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I pre-ordered it sight unseen. I rarely worry about quality with WA. If it arrives in a timely manner, I'll try to do a mini-review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks