What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Clock (1945) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61YZ2cJPXAL._SL1000_.jpg

Specs and Preorder TBA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
If you can trust the IMDb listing, half the population of Hollywood extras, bit players and character actors worked on this film. No Bess Flowers strangely enough, but we do get Kenner G. Kemp.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I always considered The Clock a startling departure for Garland. She truly was a superior actress who could have had a dramatic career, proving it decades later with A Child is Waiting, I Could Go On Singing, and, of course, her exquisitely careworn cameo as Irene Hoffman in Judgment at Nuremburg. The Clock is an early example of the depth of Judy's strengths as a dramatic actress. I never felt Robert Walker was her equal here - good as he is elsewhere in his own career. Still, can't wait to have this in hi-def - at last.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I always considered The Clock a startling departure for Garland. She truly was a superior actress who could have had a dramatic career, proving it decades later with A Child is Waiting, I Could Go On Singing, and, of course, her exquisitely careworn cameo as Irene Hoffman in Judgment at Nuremburg. The Clock is an early example of the depth of Judy's strengths as a dramatic actress. I never felt Robert Walker was her equal here - good as he is elsewhere in his own career. Still, can't wait to have this in hi-def - at last.
And don't forget A Star is Born. The film she should have won Best Actress for. The bad timing of Grace Kelly announcing her retirement from Hollywood killed that.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The most realistic sets that were created on a backlot. That this film was not shot in New York is amazing. The set for Penn station seems to be a record of a great landmark that was torn down in the early 1960's. Only its not. Its a set bullt just for this picture.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
The most realistic sets that were created on a backlot. That this film was not shot in New York is amazing. The set for Penn station seems to be a record of a great landmark that was torn down in the early 1960's. Only its not. Its a set bullt just for this picture.
What the craftsmen at the studios were able to create for these films is truly remarkable. After having lived in NYC for many years, Minnelli said his intention was to make NYC the third character in this film and I believe he succeeded. Beautiful film and looking forward to the upgrade.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
And don't forget A Star is Born. The film she should have won Best Actress for. The bad timing of Grace Kelly announcing her retirement from Hollywood killed that.
A Star Is Born is the one movie where I feel Judy's talents as a dramatic star as well as a musical performer collided to create the perfect storm of a legendary performance. Don't get me wrong. I love Grace Kelly. But she didn't win this one on merit.

Garland in Star is perfection, and such a sincere shame Warners has never been able to find ALL of it to release a complete version. Surely, someone, somewhere has the rights to an unedited master. Even if it's only in 16mm reduction print, I'd pay to see that!

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
If you can trust the IMDb listing, half the population of Hollywood extras, bit players and character actors worked on this film. No Bess Flowers strangely enough, but we do get Kenner G. Kemp.
I got a kick out of seeing Moyna MacGill at the drug store counter. She really does have a very strong resemblance to her daughter Angela Lansbury.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I love this movie. It's a sweet fable that bears as much semblance to reality as Dorothy's trip to Oz. Maybe it's Dorothy's experiences once she moved to NYC.
Garland is so good in this film. Walker is not up to her, but he's kind of sweet, and there's a war going on...

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Grace Kelly did not meet Rainier until after her Oscar win. Any plans for retirement came some time after her win. Her cinematic popularity, her box office earnings, the incredible run of films she had released in ‘54 (Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, The Country Girl), and her first major dramatic turn likely all played a part in her winning. Garland’s troubled history with Hollywood (of which she was the victim- not placing any blame on her) likely played a defining role in her loss. They weren’t about to reward someone who they felt had behaved badly and thus been punished with termination just four-five years earlier. Hollywood- what a great town.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Grace Kelly did not meet Rainier until after her Oscar win. Any plans for retirement came some time after her win. Her cinematic popularity, her box office earnings, the incredible run of films she had released in ‘54 (Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, The Country Girl), and her first major dramatic turn likely all played a part in her winning. Garland’s troubled history with Hollywood (of which she was the victim- not placing any blame on her) likely played a defining role in her loss. They weren’t about to reward someone who they felt had behaved badly and thus been punished with termination just four-five years earlier. Hollywood- what a great town.

Kelly's final effort, before moving on to 'higher' society was High Society (1956) - Sol Siegel's remake of The Philadelphia Story. In it, Kelly actually sports the diamond engagement ring Rainier gave her.

Not sure why the Academy gave it to Grace over Garland. But it is one of those epic Oscar snubs for which no explanation will suffice. Another is Ginger Rogers winning Best Actress for Kitty Foyle over Joan Fontaine in Rebecca (1940....awards handed out in 1941).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not sure why the Academy gave it to Grace over Garland. But it is one of those epic Oscar snubs for which no explanation will suffice. Another is Ginger Rogers winning Best Actress for Kitty Foyle over Joan Fontaine in Rebecca (1940....awards handed out in 1941).
Frankly, I thought Bette Davis was better than both of them in "The Letter". That same year, James Stewart winning Best Actor over Henry Fonda was a travesty to me. Stewart's is viewed as a makeup Oscar for not winning for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and the same for Fontaine winning for Suspicion. Anyhow, there are plenty of such Oscar snubs, including actors not even getting nominated for iconic roles such as Robert Mitchum as Harry Powell and John Wayne as Ethan Edwards.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Frankly, I thought Bette Davis was better than both of them in "The Letter". That same year, James Stewart winning Best Actor over Henry Fonda was a travesty to me. Stewart's is viewed as a makeup Oscar for not winning for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and the same for Fontaine winning for Suspicion. Anyhow, there are plenty of such Oscar snubs, including actors not even getting nominated for iconic roles such as Robert Mitchum as Harry Powell and John Wayne as Ethan Edwards.
Agree with Davis for The Letter. Forgot about her in that, actually. Sacrilege. Fontaine should never have won it for Suspicion.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Another theory for Kelly's win over Garland that I've read is that she had two studio's voting blocs routing for her, MGM where she was under contract and Paramount where she made The Country Girl. Still a travesty.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Mitchum as Henry Powell. A huge bravo for bringing that Oscar snub to the fore.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I bought Night Of The Hunter Criterion a while back. Will have to watch it again- it’s been forever. So many films, so little time.
A bit off topic, but if we’re talking Oscar snubs, I think Gloria Swanson should have won for Sunset Boulevard- she was amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks