What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (3 Viewers)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Lou Lumenick reports in the NY Post that the seldom seen 1943 Technicolor version of "THE DESERT SONG" with Dennis Morgan will finally get a Warner Archives release.

It would be great if we got all 3 versions, although I'll gladly settle on this one for now.
I don't ever recall seeing it.

Attachments

• desertsong.jpg
    desertsong.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 36

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, in that column, Lou intimated that all three versions of The Desert Song will be released by the Archives. The first two are the ones I've never seen and am dying to.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Matt Hough said:
Yes, in that column, Lou intimated that all three versions of The Desert Song will be released by the Archives. The first two are the ones I've never seen and am dying to.
I had asked about this a few weeks ago on FB and the Archive confirmed that the legal issues holding up both the 1929 and 1943 versions of the The Desert Song for release had been cleared up finally allowing eventual WAC releases after remastering. Great news!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?0iEGgqr-Cy3FGh2oELQUN-gxU=0
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-5-7_03.jpg
wac-new-release-5-7_07.jpg
POPEYE: THE 1960s CLASSICS VOLUME 1 (1960-61) With TV reruns of the Fleischer/Famous Studios theatrical shorts proving that Popeye still packed a spinach-powered punch that delivered smash ratings, King Features commissioned a new series of Sailor Man shorts under the aegis of executive producer Al Brodax. The TV incarnation of Popeye made up for its scaled back animation with a broadened narrative scope while still staying true to the source. Thanks to the continued use of voice actors Jack Mercer (Popeye), Mae Questel (Olive) and Jackson Beck (Bluto who was now called Brutus) as well as the use of veteran Popeye animation talents who were then working at Paramount Cartoon Studios, these shorts remained authentic. The addition of a number of Thimble Theater comic strip characters making their cartoon debuts — including King Blozo, Toar, and Sea Hag — only added to the shorts “yam what I yam” charm. All of the Paramount TV Popeye cartoons are contained in this stupendous 2-Disc, 72-Episode set. PENROD AND SAM (1931) Years before he would helm many installments in the Bowery Boys series of laffers, prolific director William Beaudine directed another sort of boy picture altogether, bringing Booth Tarkington’s Penrod and Sam to the screen in their first talking feature. Leon Janney and Frank Coghlan Jr. play the titular “In or In Club” founders, while Billie Lord and Nestor Aber make for a dynamite pair of pre-teen nemesis. And Cameo the dog comes close to stealing your heart — and the show — as Penrod’s pooch, Duke. Yep — children and dogs. No one tell W.C. Fields. TENTH AVENUE ANGEL (1947) Kid thesp phenom Margaret O’Brien headlines this late Forties fabular look back at tenement life during the Great Depression. Flavia Mills is the darling of the street and self-appointed guardian angel of the hard-scrabble and stout-hearted denizens of Tenth Avenue. But Flavia’s world comes crashing down when she learns those she loves best have been lying to her and it will take a miracle to restore her faith. Outstanding cast includes Angela Lansbury, George Murphy and Phyllis Thaxter. Directed by Roy Rowland. THE SECRET GARDEN (1949) Frances Hodgson Burnett’s children’s classic gets a top notch adaptation courtesy of MGM that makes the gothic roots of Mary Lennox’s journey delightfully apparent. The cast includes leading kids Margaret O’Brien and Dean Stockwell along with Herbert Marshall as the embittered lord of the manor, Elsa Lanchester as a cackling maid with no sense of place, Brian Roper as forest-lad Dickon and a real star-turn by an uncanny trained raven. Beware! Lurking inside the black and white walls of The Secret Garden are (spoiler alert!) some stunning Technicolor sequences. Directed by Fred M. Wilcox.
wac-new-release-5-7_15.jpg
WITHOUT A TRACE: THE COMPLETE SIXTH SEASON (2007-2008) The penultimate season of Without a Trace, although truncated by the writer’s strike, delivered the drama in spades (not to be confused with Samantha Spade) as the show skillfully played out a year-long arc that might best be described as Jack Malone: His Fall and Rise. The season starts with the team slowly being pulled into uncovering a massive human trafficking syndicate responsible for the disappearance of hundreds of girls. Soon after, the dedicated investigators of the Missing Persons Unit are tasked with a particularly important person to locate: Jack Malone, who disappeared after trying to tackle the ring solo. And that’s just the beginning of Jack’s long slog back to the light as his history of warrantless searches, witness intimidation and violation of FBI case protocol in pursuit of justice may finally cost him his career. Other missing persons include a waitress who won 32 million in the lottery to an extreme fighter, a mall Santa Claus and a case uniting the MPU with head CSI Gil Grissom (William Peterson). Other notable guests in this 5-Disc, 18-Episode Collection include James Marsters, Henry Thomas, Nancy McKeon and Sprague Grayden. Stars Anthony La Paglia, Poppy Montgomery, Enrique Murciano, Jr., Eric Close, Marianne Jean-Baptiste and Roselyn Sanchez.
wac-new-release-5-7_21.jpg
DUFFY OF SAN QUENTIN (1954) New warden Clinton T. Duffy takes a walk down noir street to confront violence and corruption at San Quentin in a gritty tale of romance and redemption. Based on Duffy’s memoir and starring Louis Hayward, Joanne Dru, Paul Kelly and Maureen O’Sullivan. Newly Remastered
wac-new-release-5-7_24.jpg
There’s a new way for you to enjoy the kinds of rare and hard-to-find movies and TV you’ve come to expect from us. Check out WARNER ARCHIVE INSTANT — our new streaming service that brings hundreds of titles instantly to your Mac, PC or Roku-connected TV for a monthly subscription. Visit instant.warnerarchive.com and get a free two week trial!
WACNR424_29.jpg
spacer.gif

www.warnerarchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

Toot! Toot!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0507WACNRaEml&ref=EW0507A

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm still trying to figure this one out; today WA has released to at least 2 online vendors (Deep Discount and DVD Planet) Season 1 of Sugarfoot but it was not released on their WA page and they are hush, hush about it on their facebook page. So it looks like they are giving online vendors an exclusive window on the release which I assume will eventually show up on the WA page. If true this is a 1st and I wonder if it will be a new trend.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Maybe a new trend for WB TV series, but the WB Archive has given exclusives to Movies Unlimited and Critic's Choice for some movies in the past.

The SUGARFOOT exclusive includes all the sites owned by the same company. I forget the company name, but they own Deepdiscount, DVD Planet, Importcds, and Critic's Choice. The Critic's Choice paper catalog for May and online lists SUGARFOOT as exclusive to them, probably for print catalogs.

I ordered mine from importcds.com which had the lowest price of the four online retailers listed above, on May 3rd and it shipped the same day, through that DHL hand-off deal with the Post Office, and I hope to receive it this week.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Randy Korstick said:
I'm still trying to figure this one out; today WA has released to at least 2 online vendors (Deep Discount and DVD Planet) Season 1 of Sugarfoot but it was not released on their WA page and they are hush, hush about it on their facebook page. So it looks like they are giving online vendors an exclusive window on the release which I assume will eventually show up on the WA page. If true this is a 1st and I wonder if it will be a new trend.
Not a 1st. The recent "Dead End Kids Double Feature" was a 4-month exclusive at Oldies.com. The WA's "Nelson Eddy / Jeanette MacDonald" titles were originally exclusives at Movies Unlimited; as was Durante's MUSIC FOR MILLIONS (1943). There were a few more, but I can't think of them at the moment. An interesting way to build distributor partnerships, and create goodwill.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
JoelA said:
I had asked about this a few weeks ago on FB and the Archive confirmed that the legal issues holding up both the 1929 and 1943 versions of the The Desert Song for release had been cleared up finally allowing eventual WAC releases after remastering. Great news!
More than great news - this is simply fabulous!
Very much looking forward to this announcement.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brent S said:
Not a 1st. The recent "Dead End Kids Double Feature" was a 4-month exclusive at Oldies.com. The WA's "Nelson Eddy / Jeanette MacDonald" titles were originally exclusives at Movies Unlimited; as was Durante's MUSIC FOR MILLIONS (1943). There were a few more, but I can't think of them at the moment. An interesting way to build distributor partnerships, and create goodwill.
Yes, the WAC does exclusive deals with other distributors which usually lasts at least two months before becoming more widely available on the official site. The latest wave of Nelson/Eddy titles on Movies Unlimited is still exclusive to that site only, including Lubitsch's The Merry Widow.

Movies Unlimited does their own advertising for these exclusive titles, giving them advertising space on their homepage and on the front or back covers of their catalogs. The DD/CC/Importcds and Oldies.com exclusive titles don't get much advertising in comparison.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Warner Archive Instant Newsletterhttp://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?08EGgqr-CyyPmh2oGMgvz-gxU=0
wai_newsletter-2_01-02.jpg
wai_newsletter-2_03.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE INSTANTNEWEST ADDITIONSBROWSE ALLFORWARD TO A FRIEND
wai_newsletter-2_06B.jpg
wai_newsletter-2_24.jpg
Dark of the Sun (1968) Jack Cardiff directs Rod Taylor, Jim Brown and Yvette Mimieux in this action classic about a team of mercenaries riding a steam train to rescue refugees and diamonds during the bloody Congo civil war. Executive Action (1973) Will Geer, Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan star in the documentary style suspense thriller about the assassination of JFK. Based on the novel Executive Action: Assassination of a Head of State by Donald Freed and Mark Lane. Script by Dalton Trumbo. The Girl in the Empty Grave (1977) When a husband and wife are discovered dead, a small-town police chief begins an intensive investigation attempting to verify sightings of the couple’s reputedly deceased daughter. Andy Griffith stars. Girlfriends (1978) Lauded indie film from filmmaker Claudia Weill focuses it discerning lens on a pair of women navigating life’s paths in mid-seventies New York. Eli Wallach, Christopher Guest, Viveca Lindfors and Bob Balaban all lend their efforts to this DIY gem, starring Melanie Mayron and Anita Skinner. A favorite of HBO’s Girls creator Lena Dunham and Judd Apatow. Helter Skelter (1976) The investigation of two horrific mass murders leads to the capture and trial of the psychotic pseudo-hippie Charles Manson and his Family. TV Mini-series adapted from the book by Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi. The Jimmy Stewart Show (1971-72) James Stewart stars as an anthropology professor struggling to bridge the generation gap with his college students and with his own family in The Jimmy Stewart Show. Professor James Howard and his wife Martha are the parents of two sons: twenty-nine-year old P.J., married and the father of an 8-year-old Jake and Teddy (Dennis Larson), who’s also eight and, technically, Jake’s uncle. And when Peter and his family move in with the parents, “Uncle Theodore” demands proper respect from his same-age nephew in this family comedy.
wai_newsletter-2_43.jpg
Brewster McCloud (1970) Robert Altman weaves together an offbeat tale of a young man (Bud Cort, Harold and Maude) who lives in an abandoned bomb shelter inside the Houston Astrodome and dreams of flight. But when murder victims covered in bird droppings start to appear, this dream takes an ominous turn. Salem’s Lot (1979) When vampires invade a small New England town, one man must face his worst fears to stop the blood-sucking creatures. With James Mason and David Soul, directed by Tobe Hooper. Based on the Novel by Stephen King. It’s a Small World (1950) Will Geer and Steve Brodie co-star in William Castle’s portrait of a little person’s struggles with normal-sized society. Starring Paul Dale. Klute (1971) Small town police detective John Klute (Donald Sutherland) comes to New York to investigate the disappearance of his best friend, but his only lead is a letter to prostitute Bree Daniels (Jane Fonda). As these two very different people discover a romantic attraction to each other, Klute realizes Daniels is actually the murderer’s real target. Over the Edge (1979) Jonathan Kaplan directs this hot-blooded cult classic about a group of kids left to discover their own values but only come up with drugs, booze and discontent. Fourteen-year-old Matt Dillon makes his screen debut as the kids’ charismatic leader Richie. The Outfit (1973) Career thief Earl Macklin (Robert Duvall), his girlfriend and his partner set out to avenge the murder of Macklin’s brother by cutting down gangland operations one violent robbery at a time. From the “Parker” novels. BORN TO DANCE (1936) LEPKE (1975) DREAM OF KINGS (1969) LUCAN (1977)
wai_newsletter_66.jpg
instant.warnerarchive.com

The Latest on Instant
http://instant.warnerarchive.com

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
You see what I want is SALEM'S LOT (1979) in HD on a disc, not this horrid streaming which we all know deep in our hearts is PURE EVIL!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
WAC's problem with releasing HD on disc is that the blu-ray committee has yet to approve MOD for blu-ray.

I think WAC should just put these films out on BD-R anyway. Most new players will play single layer BD-R. If somebody's player doesn't play them, just send them a refund.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have no intention of streaming but I do fear it will be a race against time to get the films we want out on blu-ray before streaming becomes mainstream. I may be wrong but I think consumers who stream are prepared to accept a lower picture/audio quality than collectors of packaged media, in the same way that audio downloads are of lesser quality than CD/vinyl.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Some of the new titles on Warner Instant haven't even been released on DVD or through the WAC yet (i.e. It's a Small World). I don't think we'll see many of these on blu-ray in the near future. Maybe blu-ray MOD will happen, but the streaming services are the best alternative at the moment--provided internet speed is up to snuff.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bob Cashill said:
IT"S A SMALL WORLD has been available as a WAC DVD-R for a couple of years now.
Huh, you're right. Don't know how I missed that...

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Born to Dance" is still in-print on regular pressed DVD (the third volume of Warners' "Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory")... Will this be a revised print?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 5/7/2013http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?03EGgqr-CyONmh2oD5D-degxU=0
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-5-14_03.jpg
wac-new-release-5-14_07.jpg
SINCERELY YOURS (1955) Long before HBO took us Behind the Candelabra (thanks to the talents of Messrs. Soderbergh, Douglas and Damon) Władziu Valentino Liberace was a household one-name superstar, thanks to his smash hit syndicated TV series and Las Vegas revue, when Warner Bros. cast him in this remake of the George Arliss vehicle, The Man Who Played God. Under the stewardship of veteran camera hand Gordon Douglas, Liberace was backed-up by a first-rate supporting “string” section featuring Dorothy Malone, Joanne Dru and William Demarest. Mixing melodrama and music, Sincerely Yours depicts a maestro facing a future sans music, while his fiancée is finding romance with another. So what’s a fate-tossed bravura showman to do? Lip-read and interfere in his neighbors’ lives, that’s what! Liberace performs a score of songs in the film, rendering the cost of admission musically moot, including an extended nightclub scene that captures the lightning in a bottle that was Liberace live on stage complete with sighing spinsters. Newly Remastered 16x9 WIDESCREEN
wac-new-release-5-14_10.jpg
THE MONOGRAM COWBOY COLLECTION VOLUME SIX: JIMMY WAKELY Monogram’s ace cowboy crooner (and true country crossover pop star) Jimmy Wakely rides and warbles across a blistering six-gun sextet that captures two phases of his screen career. First up, we draw a pair of aces with two films where Jimmy shares the screen with John “Dusty” James and Lee “Lasses” White. Then we get a quartet featuring the comic turns of prolific number two man, Dub “Cannonball” Taylor. As an added bonus, Whip Wilson makes his Monogram debut alongside Jimmy in 1948’s Silver Trails. Collection includes:Riding the Dusty Trail aka Riders of the Dawn (1945) Three cowpokes and a baby! Lonesome Trail (1945) Bandits try to steal an election — and an entire town! The Rangers Ride (1948) Civil war vets take on a secret police state! Range Renegades (1948) Western royalty Jennifer Holt is the evil mastermind!Silver Trails (1948) Hear the crack of the Whip!Brand of Fear (1949) One of Wakely’s best — with superb versions of “There’s a Rainbow Over the Range” and “Cool Water.” Remastered from the best available 35mm film elements. STAMPEDE (1949)It’s a full-house of Western wonder as Rod Cameron, Gale Storm and Johnny Mack Brown team up for this tale of water rights and gunfights. When settlers arrive at the town of Blackwell, Arizona they discover that the McCall brothers (Rod Cameron and Don Castle) control the water, and the cattlemen aren’t inclined to share. Rebuffed by the sheriff (Johnny Mack Brown), one fiery tempered settler (Gale Storm) takes justice — and a long gun — into her own hands. Directed by prolific phenom Lesley Selander with a script co-written by a (very) young Blake Edwards. SHORT GRASS (1950) Lesley Selander rides again, in this oater that re-teams Rod and Johnny Mack. This time ’round Rod plays a drifter who fails to steer clear of cordite-flavored trouble after falling hard for a rancher’s daughter (Cathy Downs). Framed for a robbery and shot in the back, the drifter gives the ill-gotten goods to the rancher (Stanley Andrews) before fleeing. Returning half a decade later, he finds the rancher murdered, the daughter married to a lush, and a Marshall (Johnny Mack Brown) mooning over the lady. Also features Alan Hale, Jr. WILD STALLION (1952) Following the murder of his parents during an Indian raid, a young boy (Orley Lindgren) becomes obsessed with his pet white colt that escaped during the raid. Raised on an army post, the boy becomes a wild horse hunter and continues his quest for his lost pet who’s grown into a magnificent white stallion that leads a pack of wild horses. An early production from the legendary Walter Mirisch, starring Ben Johnson and a trio of future TV titans — Edgar Buchanan, Hayden Rorke, and Hugh Beaumont. RIDER ON A DEAD HORSE (1962) Allied Artists continues to step into the New Westerns of the 1960s with this six-gun saga that mixes seedy with its oats. Three prospectors (John Vivyan, Bruce Gordon and Charles Lampkin) bury their gold to protect it from Apache attack. No sooner than you can say “Sierra Madre”, greed turns the trio into a killer, a victim, and a corpse. But unfortunately for the killer, only the man he left for dead knows the way back to the secret cache. Also stars Kevin Hagen and Lisa Lu. 16x9 WIDESCREEN
wac-new-release-5-14_23.jpg
Have you checked out our new streaming service WARNER ARCHIVE INSTANT? Just this week, we’ve added even more movies and TV shows that stream instantly to your Mac, PC or Roku-connected TV for a monthly subscription. Visit instant.warnerarchive.com and get a free two week trial! Interested in receiving our new semi-weekly What’s On Instant Newsletter? Sign up here!
WACNR424_29.jpg
spacer.gif

www.warnerarchive.com

Ride ’Em, Maestro!
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0514WACNRbEml&ref=EW0514B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks