What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Since Warner Archives is releasing the 1934 The Merry Widow and two Lana Turner films this week, wouldn't it have made sense to release the 1952 Lana Turner The Merry Widow at the same time?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
When great films such as A Big Hand for the Little Lady are no longer available as pressed discs or in stores tells me that Warner Archive is the future for most catalogue films. I expect catalogue blu-rays will also be only available through this channel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
When great films such as A Big Hand for the Little Lady are no longer available as pressed discs or in stores tells me that Warner Archive is the future for most catalogue films. I expect catalogue blu-rays will also be only available through this channel.
Actually, streaming is too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner is usually good in releasing titles in their original aspect ratio. However, for some strange reason Executive Suite was not back in 2007, and some are questioning if this re-released as a MOD will be a clone of that release. Executive Suite was filmed Aug-Sept of 1953, it's OAR is 1.78

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Robert Crawford said:
Warner is usually good in releasing titles in their original aspect ratio. However, for some strange reason Executive Suite was not back in 2007, and some are questioning if this re-released as a MOD will be a clone of that release. Executive Suite was filmed Aug-Sept of 1953, it's OAR is 1.78
Robert, it was confirmed on FB that this is a clone of the original release, unfortunately. Not very characteristic of WAC's usual meticulous standards regarding releasing product in its OAR.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Why do some people seem to be in this doomsday phase? I know some people are worried but saying within the majority of our life times, that it's going to be "if you are lucky" is just plain blowing things out of proportion.

The general population isn't going to shift to phasing out of physical mediums until they are comfortable with not having them. The majority of people are not. Lots have no problem using non-physical but they aren't ready to put all their eggs in that basket. And as long as companies know this they will put out physical media to make money.

MOD is the future because it eliminates the major crux of problems with certain products not being suitable for in-store distribution. THis is not some kind of death knoll for DVD, it's the exact opposite. It's a rebirth that makes physical media distribution all the easier. Warner Brothers leading the pace is putting more and more out each week of the library.

In theory what could be better than streaming of whole libraries for people that don't want physical media and the fair chance to order direct physical copies from the studios? No lame brick-and-mortar politics associated with "will it sell enough?", "how many shipments?". "where do we store them?"

The only true downside of it is the hurting factor of how much will rebound from streaming to the sale. Libraries and video stores long have been around due to there being physical media limitations in the security of access. Some people seem to have been disillusioned about streaming not having this, but the "streamageddon scare" helped reinforce the fact that a streaming service has that issue too. There will always be rebounds but then there are also one-and-done crowds who are plenty happy. I'm sure some people would like everything out there at instant access, but given no company is ever going to have contracts to everything and studios are going to want the more luctrative physical sales, that part is still a pipe dream for the time being.

Time is moving on, and DVDS, Bluray and streaming all have many more years ahead of them. There's some kinks to work out, but i really see no need for the doom and gloom sermons. The future seems pretty good to me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JoelA said:
Robert, it was confirmed on FB that this is a clone of the original release, unfortunately. Not very characteristic of WAC's usual meticulous standards regarding releasing product in its OAR.
Very, VERY disappointing and a disc I will have no interest in consequently.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I'm sorry, but that's what CD buyers said when iTunes first appeared on the scene. Yes, you can still get CDs, but in a vastly limited way than previously. Physical media will only stay as long as people demand it, but that doesn't mean that studios and manufacturers won't seek to hasten its demise in favor of something that escalates a more productive bottom line. I personally do not think DVDs and Blus have much of a future outside of boutique labels similar to the way LP records are marketed and sold now.

It may seem like doom and gloom, but how can anyone look at the market for the past five years and not see how much it's changed? I echo the advice about building a nice collection now and not waiting for tomorrow. "Streamageddon" was more than just negative hype. My queue at Netflix went from 230 titles to 74 in one night. As far as present technology stands, and all the imposed limitations of therein, nothing can replace a well rounded physical media collection.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^ MattPriceTime,
14a5ua.jpg

We're still seeing standard dvd releases from some studios as well as WBA, Tmeless, CBS, Shout.

I'm in the "If I have a choice to own on DVD, then I'm ok with streaming" camp. The only thing that I wouldn't like to see gather momentum, are products being only available streamed. I'm primarily a TV/DVD collector though so that may affect things down the road but so far, I'm getting just about everything that I'm interested in collecting (that's seen a studio release), available on DVD.

For the streaming proponents, I see the reason for the pov there but in some cases, as with my family members, streaming isn't a viable option.

I watch some things weekly with my Mom and nephew and Mom's not tech-savvy enough to enter the streaming/interface generation. With dvd's, it's easy for me to take them over to Mom's (or any other friend's house) and plug them in and we're watching our shows.

We're not dependent on a 'net connection or interface equipment in other locations. All we need is AC, TV, player, and the important part...
1qkeir.jpg

Professor Echo said:
I'm sorry, but that's what CD buyers said when iTunes first appeared on the scene. Yes, you can still get CDs, but in a vastly limited way than previously. Physical media will only stay as long as people demand it, but that doesn't mean that studios and manufacturers won't seek to hasten its demise in favor of something that escalates a more productive bottom line. I personally do not think DVDs and Blus have much of a future outside of boutique labels similar to the way LP records are marketed and sold now.

It may seem like doom and gloom, but how can anyone look at the market for the past five years and not see how much it's changed? I echo the advice about building a nice collection now and not waiting for tomorrow. "Streamageddon" was more than just negative hype. My queue at Netflix went from 230 titles to 74 in one night. As far as present technology stands, and all the imposed limitations of therein, nothing can replace a well rounded physical media collection.
fk4ifp.jpg
2up47xe.jpg
;)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have been looking at my DVD collection and estimate that there are about 100 outstanding that I really want on pressed blu-ray, the majority would be from Warners considering that they appear to control MGM, Paramount and RKO releases.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
JoelA said:
In regard to the WAC wishlist issue mentioned above, I received a reply-

[color=rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);]"Thank you for contacting Warner Archive. [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);]I apologize for the inconvenience. We have escalated it to corporate for an answer and are waiting to hear back.[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);]If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again."[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);]As always, prompt and courteous. They do a great job.[/color]
They didn't seem to answer your question. Did they ultimately fix the problem?

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
From this, my own and others experiences. If they tell you it's being "[color=rgb(0,0,0);background-color:rgb(255,255,255);]escalated to corporate[/color]", you typically don't get a response from corporate it just typically gets done.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Warner Archive Collection: New Releases for 6/4/2013http://l.email-warnerbros.com/1x1.dyn?05kGgqr-CyaeGh2oTkA7v-gxU=0
NewRelease32_02.jpg
WARNER ARCHIVE HOMENEW RELEASESBESTSELLING DVDsFORWARD TO A FRIEND
NewRelease32_04.jpg
wac-new-release-6-4_03.jpg
wac-new-release-6-4_06.jpg
TERROR ON A TRAIN (1953) DP great-turned-director Ted Tetzlaff (My Man Godfrey, The Window) teams up with up-and-coming cinematographic titan Freddie Young (Lawrence of Arabia) to deliver as taut a suspenser as they come. Glenn Ford anchors the cast as a vet tasked with untangling a titanic time bomb all while his marriage is falling apart. Filmed overseas at MGM’s British unit, Terror on a Train ably demonstrates “less is more” post-war British filmmaking similar to the great ex-pat film noirs and “kitchen sink” dramas made at this time. Ann Vernon (Umbrellas of Cherbourg) plays the spouse and Maurice Denham leads the crack cast of British character greats. THE DECKS RAN RED (1958) Suspense team Andrew and Virginia Stone deliver a top-notch tale of nautical nefaria based on real events. James Mason is the able and ambitious seaman given command of The Berwind, an awful tramp that rust-stains the good name of the Merchant Marines. Broderick Crawford and Stuart Whitman play the schemer and stooge ripped from the darkest frames of noir. Dorothy Dandridge plays the bombshell who could be the spark that leads to mutiny — and murder. Stone’s inspired choice of eschewing standard cinema score for a soundtrack mixed with the natural sounds of the sea pulls us into the menace and keeps us there. 16x9 Widescreen
wac-new-release-6-4_12.jpg
THE REFORMER AND THE REDHEAD (1950) Wife and husband June Allyson and Dick Powell co-star in this off-the-wall romancer from the comedy team of Norman Panama and Melvin Frank that mixes grit-guy quips with animal antics. Powell, phasing out his tough guy persona as he prepared to step into production, leavens in his lighter song-and-dance self as a cynical wannabe pol who falls for a redhead zoologist (Allyson) who packs a punch as big as her heart. A circus of animal performers, including a pair of very large pussycats, keep the human actors on their feet. Also stars David Wayne and Ray Collins. RIGHT CROSS (1950) Dick Powell takes a step back and plays second banana in this tale of a triangle whose three points include a Mexican fighter (Ricardo Montalban), his promoter (June Allyson) and his sportswriter pal (Powell). Crisply assembled by a young John Sturges, the film’s bolstered by the likes of Lionel Barrymore, a then-unknown Marilyn Monroe, some song-and-dance from Powell and real fireworks from Allyson. But it’s really Montalban’s show all the way as he proves to be every bit the champ on screen as his Johnny Monterez is in the ring.
wac-new-release-6-4_16.jpg
THE FBI: THE COMPLETE FIFTH SEASON (1969-70) As the Sixties come to a tumultuous end, Inspector Erskine stares the Seventies down since it’s just business as usual for the men and women of the FBI in the hard-hitting fifth season of this hit series. This 26 episode collection sees Erskine (Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.), Special Agent Tom Colby (William Reynolds) and assistant director Arthur Ward (Philip Abbott) take on killers, kidnappers, extortionists, arsonists and a complete horde of commie infiltrators from multiple iron curtain countries. A showcase for veteran guest stars as well as the up-and-coming, this fifth season shines the spotlight on an arresting lineup including Robert Duvall and Jeff Bridges, Hitchcock femmes Vera Miles and Laraine Day, Anne Francis, Sam Elliott, Jack Klugman, David Cassidy, Joe Don Baker, Cicely Tyson and Harrison Ford.
wac-new-release-6-4_22.jpg
IN VOGUE: THE EDITOR’S EYE (2012) HBO Documentary Films takes an exclusive look at the world’s most influential fashion magazine — as seen through the eyes of several of its most iconic fashion editors. Drawing on Vogue’s exceptional archives, the film explores Vogue’s cultural impact from its launch in 1892 through today. Features behind-the-scenes interviews with the editors who have contributed to the magazine’s legacy, including current editor-in-chief Anna Wintour and fashion editors Babs Simpson, Grace Coddington, Tonne Goodman, Phyllis Posnick, Jade Hobson, Carlyne Cerf, Polly Mellen, and Camilla Nickerson. In addition, Vogue subjects Nicole Kidman and Sarah Jessica Parker, industry icon Hamish Bowles, and designers Nicolas Ghesquière and Marc Jacobs each recall their experience collaborating with the top photographers and image makers of the day. 16x9 Widescreen
wac-new-release-6-4_25.jpg
Have you tried our new streaming service, Warner Archive Instant? The New York Times’ Dave Kehr profiled us in his piece, “A New Stream for the Thirsty” which helps explain what we’re trying to do and understand what all the hoopla is about.
WACNR424_29.jpg
spacer.gif

www.warnerarchive.com
---------------------------------------------------------

June is Busting Out All Over
http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/new+releases.do?adid=0604WACNRaEml&ref=EW0604A

---------------------------------------------------------

© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
So, in 1953 Freddie Young was still merely an "up-and-coming cinematographic titan" was he? What utter rubbish! Someone needs to do their homework

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I can't believe how horrendously slow and buggy the shop.warnerarchive.com site is. It took forever to set up the order, and I had to do it 3 times for it to finally go through. I was nearing the breaking point!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That was very noticeable yesterday as I was browsing the 1353 titles on sale, checking a few details, putting a few things into my cart, etc. Every single change of page took forever.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Seems like there has been some delays in the WAC newsletter. Surprisingly little discussion considering this wave has one of the last unreleased Greta Garbo and Otto Preminger features.Night Court: The Complete Ninth SeasonWomen in Bondage (1943)The Painted Veil (1934)The Human Factor (1979)Black Market Babies (1945)Don’t Gamble with Strangers (1946)Zandy's Bride (1974)Air Force (1943) - Rerelease

Next week is also be interesting, with two previously unreleased Bette Davis film and Esther Williams' last unreleased film. More possibly TBA.Jupiter's Darling (1955)Front Page Woman (1935)Houdini (TV 1998)Winter Meeting (1948)Amelia Earhart: The Final Flight (TV 1994)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks