What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (3 Viewers)

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Twilight Time is a perfect example of what could potentially happen to everyone else but I would like to think that's an extreme example and Criterion, Kino, WAC etc... are much more stable with more longevity than they were.

Another one that keeps me up at night is another huge warehouse fire that destroys all the original negatives of some unlucky company.
I miss Twilight Time, and I miss Nick Redman. Twilight Time actually led the way for this current renaissance of indie labels.

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Twilight Time is a perfect example of what could potentially happen to everyone else but I would like to think that's an extreme example and Criterion, Kino, WAC etc... are much more stable with more longevity than they were.

Another one that keeps me up at night is another huge warehouse fire that destroys all the original negatives of some unlucky company.
My understanding is that Twilight Time was something of a one-man show--what I mean is not that one man did everything (obviously, they had a great team working there) but rather that Nick Redman was a major driving force, so when he passed away, too big a hole was left. That wouldn't be the case with these other companies.

Wait, now that I think about it, George Feltenstein is a HUGE driving force at WAC, and if he left for any reason, I'm not sure WAC as we know it would survive. So George is just going to have to stay put!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
My understanding is that Twilight Time was something of a one-man show--what I mean is not that one man did everything (obviously, they had a great team working there) but rather that Nick Redman was a major driving force, so when he passed away, too big a hole was left. That wouldn't be the case with these other companies.

Wait, now that I think about it, George Feltenstein is a HUGE driving force at WAC, and if he left for any reason, I'm not sure WAC as we know it would survive. So George is just going to have to stay put!
For sure.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I miss Twilight Time, and I miss Nick Redman. Twilight Time actually led the way for this current renaissance of indie labels.

Agreed. I very much miss Nick. He was a good man. He was very good to me and this forum.

It was more than a one-man show. Brian Jamieson and July Kirgo also contributed to its success.

And, you are correct that George is the most valuable asset that the studio has in its home video division.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If only Warner Brothers, now sadly guided by the profit over quality CEO David Zaslav, would let the 3-D Film Archive work on these titles while there is still a niche market for them. Once the Boomers are gone there will be no hope of ever seeing any of these again. Warners is more interested is releasing the "classic" sitcom dreck form the 70's now.

I, too, would be thrilled to see WB turn over the 3D titles they have remaining over to 3DFA, so they could eventually be released through WAC. This should have been done four or five years ago, when 3D was still a commercially viable Blu-ray format due to strong software and hardware support from most studios and TV manufacturers. Those of us who still own working 3D flat displays, or projectors capable of presenting it, are ravenous collectors and are almost certain to buy any that 3D Film Archives releases...and our numbers, while not huge, are also not negligible.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I too am thirilled about the resugence of Botique companies with the drive and dedication to releasing of both prime and secondary titles in physical media. Along with all the aforementioned companies including Film Masters, I am so happy that those behind the wheel are collectors themselves, and have that mindset when it comes to accessing, archiving and restoration of many of our favorite film titles.
Especally with the enormous catalog held by Warner Bros, it is a daunting task of planning the films to include in the pipeline for restoration and release. I just want to give a shout out to George and his loyal crew of amazing techs that deliver time after time!!!
For collectors, when the releases are announced are either happy, sad or mad...in a world of instant gratification, you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just find...you get what you need!!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I, too, would be thrilled to see WB turn over the 3D titles they have remaining over to 3DFA, so they could eventually be released through WAC. This should have been done four or five years ago, when 3D was still a commercially viable Blu-ray format due to strong software and hardware support from most studios and TV manufacturers. Those of us who still own working 3D flat displays, or projectors capable of presenting it, are ravenous collectors and are almost certain to buy any that 3D Film Archives releases...and our numbers, while not huge, are also not negligible.

The 3D Film Archive also offers an anaglyphic 3D version on their most recent releases so, you don't need a 3D TV to watch them in 3D.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I’d be happy with any of those Elvis films.
And hopefully we will eventually get all of the Elvis films WB controls.
And while I’m at it , even though this is a WB thread, I keep wondering what’s holding up the Paramount films?
Beats me. I've been wondering the same thing. They released "King Creole" and then "Blue Hawaii". But then it just stopped. And I remember reading that "Blue Hawaii" did really well for me, unless that was untrue. They have a bunch of movies to release that have never even received the Blu Ray treatment. Their Paramount Presents line has also been sluggish lately. If we can get a couple more films out of them, I would opt for "G.I. Blues" and "Girls Girls Girls", 2 of the funnest Elvis films that Paramount owns in my opinion.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, perhaps we can move on to the Jerry Lewis catalog...

Someone contacted me 2 -3 years ago representing Jerry Lewis' catalog and wanted some contact information for Paramount.

At the time, I was hopeful that negotiations were underway to get the Jerry Lewis catalog out on Blu-ray.

However, with the physical media climate in flux, I am no longer as optimistic as I was. It's hard to say how much Paramount would recoup if they invested in putting out his titles on physical media. Most to all of them are available in HD via streaming and I am certain the success (or not) of those sales contribute to any disc release decisions.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I still can't believe that "The Disorderly Orderly" is not on Blu Ray. It was a Sunday afternoon staple back in the 80's.
I think this is the funniest of the Lewis films, directed by Frank Tashlin. My favorite, and I keep hoping for a Blu-ray. I'm amazed the Lewis films haven't been available in France, which considers Lewis to be a kind of cinema god. Years ago, when physical media was still king, Paramount was releasing some of his films on Blu-ray (GEISHA BOY, ROCKABY BABY, etc.), and then just...stopped.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Can we get back to Warner titles!
Yes! So, looking forward to this month’s announcement. I’ve already ordered several of the last few months releases with a couple more to still order.
So, ( without wanting to start another Elvis debate) I’m hoping for an Elvis title, some more Gable and Flynn, Abbott And Costello’s MGM films, ditto Laurel and Hardy’s films controlled by WBA, Bowery Boys on BD, and some more classic TV -Father Of The Bride, or Room For One More would be nice! Any of those and I’d be happy!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
It is amazing to me how over time dreck turns into gold!
I guess everyone has that special movie that holds a soft spot in thier heart. More about the time you saw it, the people you sawit with or how it got you through a moment in your life, rather than it's cinematic proclivity or global value to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertlangestudios
Recent bookmarks