What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Only one title for me - Raintree County. Dave Strohmaier did such a great job on The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm, they could have him work on Raintree County.

Oh, I guess the following would also be nice! Just have the 3-D Film Archive do the 3-D titles to save a lot of money.

WB-collage.jpg

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I go into the WBA announcements with low expectations. When the announcements are made there are always a few titles i want. Keeps me from focusing on being disappointed if certain films i want are not among the releases.

Sounds like a very sensible idea. With Warner’s vast library, I’ve learned not to get my hopes up too high if any of the titles I do want (and there are quite a few) don’t get released. If they do end up releasing something I like, so much the better.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I feel very privileged to be able to still collect WAC titles. I've never been disappointed with what they release. My friends and family cannot understand why I still bother buying discs, and when I watch something like One Way Passage, I am reminded why I do still bother. I feel a sense of relief with every month's announcements that physical media is still breathing, and I can still have access to the films I want.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I feel very privileged to be able to still collect WAC titles. I've never been disappointed with what they release. My friends and family cannot understand why I still bother buying discs, and when I watch something like One Way Passage, I am reminded why I do still bother. I feel a sense of relief with every month's announcements that physical media is still breathing, and I can still have access to the films I want.
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. If so, an informative listen.

I will buy all of these films when available. An excellent selection. Personally, I love to be introduced to some titles that are new to me, especially in WAC's state of the art transfers. And especially, when helmed by great directors.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Didn't you hear,
The plan is to announce 17,837 titles today - all on 16K UUHHD - in 5D, including reissuing remasters of every title they released up to now - all from newly discovered OCNs.
Available to purchase tomorrow, for delivery before the holiday.

:D

Your sarcasm is showing. ;)

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'm hoping for "Speedway" or even "Live A Little Love A Little" ...but if "Girl Happy" got announced, you can be sure I'd grab it. LOL
I’d be happy with any of those Elvis films.
And hopefully we will eventually get all of the Elvis films WB controls.
And while I’m at it , even though this is a WB thread, I keep wondering what’s holding up the Paramount films?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Can we see anywhere a list of the blurays released by date?
I tried searching at the other forum, but it was not fruitful..
I wonder if there are any WAC releases of this year I was interested in.
I've found this list on letterboxd to be helpful and it includes the WAC re-releases of WHV titles.

I noticed that the Colt .45 and The Alaskans sets are not included, but The Flash is there. I've pointed this out to the original poster.

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Yes. It's now or never. If the entire physical media industry went under in 5 years everyone else would be sh*t out of luck as every film would start selling on ebay for hundreds of dollars and you definitely won't be able to stream it anywhere or ever watch the film again. It has never been a better time to be a film lover than now as there are so many available titles.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes. It's now or never. If the entire physical media industry went under in 5 years everyone else would be sh*t out of luck as every film would start selling on ebay for hundreds of dollars and you definitely won't be able to stream it anywhere or ever watch the film again. It has never been a better time to be a film lover than now as there are so many available titles.

Not that I'd discourage anyone from buying discs at all (and do still continue to buy my share as well), but that (about streaming and/or "ever watch the film again") may be unlikely (at least for foreseeable future anyway)... although some titles like One Way Passage, which I do own on WAC BD, aren't currently available via streaming AFAIK.

Yes, I'd definitely recommend buying high quality discs of whatever titles one deems "must have", etc, but if/when discs stop being available/sold (in general), it seems more likely than not that streaming (or something else?) will still be around... though specific availability/accessibility (and quality) might well be unreliable/inconsistent, so you're best off not relying primarily/solely on that...

_Man_

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Great lists indeed!, myself being a 1950's/60's SCI FI collector, would love to see on BLU RAY:
1) IT CONQUERED THE WORLD(1956)
2) RIDERS TO THE STARS( 1954)
3) THE FLAME BARRIER(1958)
4) DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS( 1963)
5) THE CRAWLING EYE( 1958)
6) TARGET EARTH( 1954)
7) DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS( 1954)
8) KRONOS( 1957)
9) LA2017( tv movie w/ Gene Barry)
10) WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE(1974) W/ PETER GRAVES
that's my dream list! Keep hoping b4 I die some of these come to blu ray!!!
Studio Canal did a decent Blu ray of Devil Girl from Mars, once the audio glitch was corrected...
the rest would be wonderful when they show up in HD. A FEW more thsat I would add to the list is THE 27TH DAY (1957), 12 TO THE MOON (1960), THIS ISAND EARTH (1955). And from Toho, FRANKENSTEIN CONQURES THE WORLD (1965), THE WAR OF THE GARGANUANS (1966), THE MYSTERIANS (1957).

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Studio Canal did a decent Blu ray of Devil Girl from Mars, once the audio glitch was corrected...
the rest would be wonderful when they show up in HD. A FEW more thsat I would add to the list is THE 27TH DAY (1957), 12 TO THE MOON (1960), THIS ISAND EARTH (1955). And from Toho, FRANKENSTEIN CONQURES THE WORLD (1965), THE WAR OF THE GARGANUANS (1966), THE MYSTERIANS (1957).

THIS ISLAND EARTH is on Blu-Ray from Shout Factory.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I’d be happy with any of those Elvis films.
And hopefully we will eventually get all of the Elvis films WB controls.
And while I’m at it , even though this is a WB thread, I keep wondering what’s holding up the Paramount films?
I'm just guessing here, but I think the holdup with the Paramount films is lack of interest (and I don't just mean the studio). There are two reasons that I think this:

1) Paramount tried to get back into the Blu-ray game too late (when all the other studios had stopped releasing their catalog titles on Blu-ray via retail), and they seem to have come to that conclusion by ceasing to do their own Blu-ray releases of catalog titles (even by their MOD line) and have just resorted to licensing everything out. In short, unless any of the remaining Elvis films are big enough to do on 4K, we're not likely to get anything more from Paramount themselves. MAYBE King Creole has a chance, but that remains to be seen.

2) I could have sworn that Kino's Insider had mentioned somewhere (with regard to their previous Paramount deal), that they were only interested in (or asked for) one Elvis film: Blue Hawaii (which obviously has been released on 4K/Blu-ray by Paramount since then). So it's possible that Kino has no further interest in the remaining titles (but I must emphasize, I am working from my memory on this one, and like everybody else, I can and do mis-remember some stuff, so take this second point with a grain of salt).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm just guessing here, but I think the holdup with the Paramount films is lack of interest (and I don't just mean the studio). There are two reasons that I think this:

1) Paramount tried to get back into the Blu-ray game too late (when all the other studios had stopped releasing their catalog titles on Blu-ray via retail), and they seem to have come to that conclusion by ceasing to do their own Blu-ray releases of catalog titles (even by their MOD line) and have just resorted to licensing everything out. In short, unless any of the remaining Elvis films are big enough to do on 4K, we're not likely to get anything more from Paramount themselves. MAYBE King Creole has a chance, but that remains to be seen.

2) I could have sworn that Kino's Insider had mentioned somewhere (with regard to their previous Paramount deal), that they were only interested in (or asked for) one Elvis film: Blue Hawaii (which obviously has been released on 4K/Blu-ray by Paramount since then). So it's possible that Kino has no further interest in the remaining titles (but I must emphasize, I am working from my memory on this one, and like everybody else, I can and do mis-remember some stuff, so take this second point with a grain of salt).

So, perhaps we can move on to the Jerry Lewis catalog...

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Every day that Warner Bros. lets WAC continue is a blessing. We have to also feel grateful to Kino, for continuing to negotiate new deals with studios. Criterion for keeping an eclectic eye out for titles that would otherwise go unnoticed. Fun City for being audacious with its choices and the care taken with each title. Even though I was not a fan of Arrow at first, they have made strides IMO. The list is endless of indie labels making bold choices and releasing physical media when it is not popular with mainstream society. This is a gift for all film lovers, and we have to appreciate what we are being given. Because it all could end tomorrow.

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
Every day that Warner Bros. lets WAC continue is a blessing. We have to also feel grateful to Kino, for continuing to negotiate new deals with studios. Criterion for keeping an eclectic eye out for titles that would otherwise go unnoticed. Fun City for being audacious with its choices and the care taken with each title. Even though I was not a fan of Arrow at first, they have made strides IMO. The list is endless of indie labels making bold choices and releasing physical media when it is not popular with mainstream society. This is a gift for all film lovers, and we have to appreciate what we are being given. Because it all could end tomorrow.
I LOVED the old Arrow Academy line and miss it, but Arrow Video is still doing a great job! Deaf Crocodile has also been knocking it out of the park for me, being a big fan of animation and Eastern European films. And let's not forget Eureka Masters of Cinema! These companies along with all those you mentioned, Brad, are doing terrific work, and each have their own niche to fill, but Warner Archive may be the apex in terms of restoration and picture quality. Long live WAC!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I LOVED the old Arrow Academy line and miss it, but Arrow Video is still doing a great job! Deaf Crocodile has also been knocking it out of the park for me, being a big fan of animation and Eastern European films. And let's not forget Eureka Masters of Cinema! These companies along with all those you mentioned, Brad, are doing terrific work, and each have their own niche to fill, but Warner Archive may be the apex in terms of restoration and picture quality. Long live WAC!

One of the unsung heroes in the UK is Second Run (not to be confused with Second Sight, which is a "sung hero" in the UK). They have an odd mix of titles, but primarily focus on Czech, Polish, and Hungarian films. And all of their releases are region free.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Only one title for me - Raintree County. Dave Strohmaier did such a great job on The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm, they could have him work on Raintree County.

Oh, I guess the following would also be nice! Just have the 3-D Film Archive do the 3-D titles to save a lot of money.

View attachment 222524
If only Warner Brothers, now sadly guided by the profit over quality CEO David Zaslav, would let the 3-D Film Archive work on these titles while there is still a niche market for them. Once the Boomers are gone there will be no hope of ever seeing any of these again. Warners is more interested is releasing the "classic" sitcom dreck form the 70's now.

Jeff Fearnside

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Fearnside
One of the unsung heroes in the UK is Second Run (not to be confused with Second Sight, which is a "sung hero" in the UK). They have an odd mix of titles, but primarily focus on Czech, Polish, and Hungarian films. And all of their releases are region free.
Yes! Not to take this too far afield from the WAC focus of this thread--so another shout-out to them for the phenomenal work they continue to do, hopefully long into the foreseeable future--but you're right, Second Run is another A+ boutique label--I have quite a sizable collection of Czech films and other Eastern European films from them on Blu-ray (and even a few DVDs) in excellent editions!

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Twilight Time is a perfect example of what could potentially happen to everyone else but I would like to think that's an extreme example and Criterion, Kino, WAC etc... are much more stable with more longevity than they were.

Another one that keeps me up at night is another huge warehouse fire that destroys all the original negatives of some unlucky company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beautiful68
Recent bookmarks