What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (15 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's Now coming Wednesday April 6th from Amazon. Eight days after the release date. :huh: Anybody get a copy yet ?
I don’t think it’s an Amazon problem. It’s more of a supply chain issue across all of the retailers originating from the replication plant.

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I don’t think it’s an Amazon problem. It’s more of a supply chain issue across all of the retailers originating from the replication plant.
True - I ordered this and 3 Godfathers from Moviezyng and neither have been dispatched yet.

I’m excited to see Cue Ball Cat in HD on Devil’s Doorway. I hope this means Tom and Jerry Volume 2 is coming soon.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
My Bluray order of They Drive By Night is now coming on Tuesday from Amazon. :) .... Finally ! I have the SD digital version for over a year. This new Bluray will look Amazing no doubt from WBArchive. It's one of my Favorite WB George Raft movies. Ida Lupino is terrific in this movie. :thumbsup:;) ....I can finally check this Gem off my WB Wish List. :biggrin:

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My copy of Three Godfathers from amazon is supposed to be delivered tomorrow by usps. Don't think usps delivers on Easter. I suspect it will be monday.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Just watched OTB on Youtube. Wow, still completely relevant today.

It's amazing to watch a movie from decades past and see that it's just as relevant now as it was then.

Fritz Lang's Metropolis is just three years shy of being 100 years old, and it tells a story relevant today regarding income inequality and the death of the middle class.

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
It's amazing to watch a movie from decades past and see that it's just as relevant now as it was then.

Fritz Lang's Metropolis is just three years shy of being 100 years old, and it tells a story relevant today regarding income inequality and the death of the middle class.
And every single Ai / Killer Robot movie and The Matrix scarily becomes more and more real every day.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
They Drive by Night and Stand and Deliver are being delivered today.
I watched TDBN tonight and it was great. Such an entertaining film with great performances and Raoul Walsh had such a great touch (and a weak spot for Alan Hale being a ham.) The transfer, from the original nitrate negative, is simply breathtaking. Thank you WAC!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
4K GWTW, all I want. And no useless disclaimer., saying, in essence, "Watch .this if you can live with yourself!", meanwhile ignoring the violence, homophobia and shameless influence of hip hop and rap that plagues today.

I don’t remember any hip hop and rap in GWTW, so I suppose a disclaimer about it would be useless. Then again, I only saw the film once. Perhaps the rap and hip hop was in a special director’s cut that I missed. Personally, the only version of it that I care to rewatch is the one that features Carol Burnett.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I don’t remember any hip hop and rap in GWTW, so I suppose a disclaimer about it would be useless. Then again, I only saw the film once. Perhaps the rap and hip hop was in a special director’s cut that I missed. Personally, the only version of it that I care to rewatch is the one that features Carol Burnett.
When ARE disclaimers useful? The way they are done currently offers no context and usually little clue as to what is offensive.

In the case of the Cabin in the Sky disc, the disclaimer was there, BUT also a surly commentary by Todd Boyd, author of Young Black Rich and Famous: The Rise of the NBA, the Hip Hop Invasion, and the Transformation of American Culture , in which he tore down the filmmakers from Eddie Anderson to Ethel Waters without any real nuance or key into what was being accomplished in a way that just served outrage (one article I read said, he was " better at riffing than analyzing. ")

When asked in an article about misogyny in hip hop and the glorification of it in rap, he says merely it's "unfortunate." but also says, "When you look at Black literature, for instance, it’s dominated by Black women. You look at other areas of the culture—dominated by Black women. Hip hop is different in that it’s dominated by Black men, so what’s the deal? Why is that a problem?"
So it just seems easier to bash older culture than focus on today's problems and even discuss how they are or are not related.
In the case of Cabin in the Sky it detracted from the talent and the effort. I find it disingenuous.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When ARE disclaimers useful? The way they are done currently offers no context and usually little clue as to what is offensive.
Just because it's not useful to you, it doesn't mean other people feel the same way. My nephews, who are in their early twenties, found the one for Gone with the Wind quite useful, when they watched it on Max with my brother and his wife. It was their first viewing of this movie for all of them. They found Jacqueline Stewart's Intro piece quite helpful in understanding the movie was made during a time in which the "Jim Crow" era was actively practiced in large segments of this country. It was a living hell for African American folks during those years. That was the reason why my grandparents never cared for that movie because the studio made compromises so the movie would be shown in the South. My parents were only children when that movie came out, so they never watched it until later in life on TV. They didn't exactly care for it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks