What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (10 Viewers)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Safe in Hell is playing on TCM this Monday, this for me is a chance to watch it again to see if I want it :)
I wrote it down on a post it note so I wont forget. I think Storm Warning is on Wednesday so Ill check it out too if I wont forget !
TCM April is loaded with goodies. I usually try to watch something I don't have in my collection but am interested in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Safe in Hell is playing on TCM this Monday, this for me is a chance to watch it again to see if I want it :)
I wrote it down on a post it note so I wont forget. I think Storm Warning is on Wednesday so Ill check it out too if I wont forget !
TCM April is loaded with goodies. I usually try to watch something I don't have in my collection but am interested in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately, Rio Bravo on HBO Max appears to be derived from the old scan. So, it looks like the April 17th showing at 8:00 p.m. ET on TCM will be the television debut of the new 4K scan.

"8:00 PM Rio Bravo (1959)- TV premiere of new 4k restoration in partnership with The Film Foundation Features special introduction by filmmaker Martin Scorsese"
On April 15th, I'm going to check out Rio Bravo again on HBO Max based on the following:

1680358830131.png

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I don’t get TCM since I ditched cable, but my guess is this new 4K scan of Rio Bravo will be released on physical media very soon. And when it does, it’ll be a day 1 purchase. I’ve been waiting years to see this fine film get a new scan!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Channel 730

Holy Shmoley!

They finally updated it. I spent years bitching at Fios for not having an HD version of TCM. Didn't even bother to think they would upgrade.

Thank you for this. I now have an HD feed of the channel and can enjoy these WB classics in high resolution.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Verizon Fios added TCM HD in September at least they did in NY. FYI there is a setting with FIOS where the remote will go to the HD channel, if there is one, even when you punch in the SD channel. That is how I found out about TCM HD.
So if you punched in 230 for TCM the TV will go to 730 for TCM. Enjoy !!

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Verizon Fios added TCM HD in September at least they did in NY. FYI there is a setting with FIOS where the remote will go to the HD channel, if there is one, even when you punch in the SD channel. That is how I found out about TCM HD.
So if you punched in 230 for TCM the TV will go to 730 for TCM. Enjoy !!
Watching Land of the Pharohs now. Looks amazing but can imagine how much nicer it will look on blu ray.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Now watching on HBOmax the insightful introduction by Martin Scorsese for Land of the Pharaohs, who admits that the movie has serious flaws. Next I'll watch the movie for the very first time.

PS Watching the movie now. As Scorsese says, the score by Dimitri Tiomkin is magnificent.

PPS Like The Egyptian, Land of the Pharaohs seems to me like an ancient world film noir.

land of the pharaohs.jpg

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don’t get TCM since I ditched cable, but my guess is this new 4K scan of Rio Bravo will be released on physical media very soon. And when it does, it’ll be a day 1 purchase. I’ve been waiting years to see this fine film get a new scan!
Couldn't agree more!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Politician Huey Long was a demagogue in the 1920s and 1930s who amassed power by almost any means, and served as both governor and Senator for Louisiana. Huey Long planned to challenge FDR in the 1936 election, but was assassinated in September of 1935, apparently by a member of one of the many families Long trampled on in his rise to power. Long's career was part of the basis for the best-selling 1950 novel A Lion is in the Streets, which was turned into a movie of the same name. The new restoration from the original three-strip Technicolor negatives looks great, with cinematography by Harry Stradling (Picture of Dorian Grey, Easter Parade, My Fair Lady, Funny Girl, and many more). But the movie is somewhat flawed from my pov because of a feeling that the screenplay and editing rush through the story a bit too fast, although the flipside is that the running time is certainly economical at 88 minutes. James Cagney chews up the scenery in this movie, and one feels for his wife played by Barbara Hale, who in a few years became Della Street in the Perry Mason tv show. Anne Francis, fondly remembered for her role in Forbidden Planet, is the youngest I've seen her. This story of political corruption includes
scenes where a mob is being organized to go the capital to try to overturn the results of a contested election.

Anyway, this film looks probably better than it looked on opening night, which was September 23rd of 1953, just one week after the first CinemaScope movie The Robe began to usher in widescreen cinema, and just as three-strip Technicolor was about the breathe its last. A Lion is in the Streets features a strong score by Franz Waxman.

Below is a photo of Huey Long just days before his death, which does seem a lot like Cagney in this movie. Below that is the first edition of the paperback of the novel, and then the original movie poster.

Huey_Long_1935_LOC_hec_39385.jpeg lion paperback.jpg
lion is in the streets.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks