What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (10 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, if I understand the situation correctly, what has been "restored" so far (whether presented on HBO Max or TCM), is not up to the standards we've been getting lately from the WB Archives three-strip recombines. That means we must make due with what is currently available, even as we hope, and wait, for WAC's eventual, three neg-recombined BD release.
I'm just telling you my opinion. What was on HBO Max looked nice and was a significant improvement over prior showings. However, I don't think it's up to the recent Technicolor standards that WA has been releasing on Blu-ray.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Notice how we stopped mentioning The Great Ziegfeld? Has Mr F ever mentioned that title as having element issues?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Notice how we stopped mentioning The Great Ziegfeld? Has Mr F ever mentioned that title as having element issues?
He doesn't have to mention it because he already stated that every Oscar Best Picture winner will be released on Blu-ray. It might not be this year, but it's an original MGM movie so they could push it into next year for MGM's 100th anniversary.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the first thirty minutes of it on the TCM app yesterday, and what was shown is certainly not in tip-top shape. Lots of scratches and dirt, and the soundtrack is very hissy. With the film almost three hours, it will be an expensive remaster/restoration.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don’t think what ran on HBO Max meets Warner Archives criteria for a Blu-ray release.
I am guessing this is your opinion of how the remaster looked and sounded and not something that was stated by George Feltenstein or anyone else at Warner Bros. Not sure why Warner Bros would spend the time and money to do a remaster if they felt they could not do their usual excellent restoration job . If this is true you would think the film would be one that they were holding until better elements could be found or new techniques could make what elements exist look better.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Unusual to give such prominence to the composer in an ad. But it is one of Tiomkin's best scores.
Yup, the scene at the start of Land Of The Pharaohs where the huge army is marching home to the sound of Tiomkin's great march (all braying trumpets) is the epic film in a nutshell.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So, if I understand the situation correctly, what has been "restored" so far (whether presented on HBO Max or TCM), is not up to the standards we've been getting lately from the WB Archives three-strip recombines. That means we must make due with what is currently available, even as we hope, and wait, for WAC's eventual, three neg-recombined BD release.
...maybe ;)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am guessing this is your opinion of how the remaster looked and sounded and not something that was stated by George Feltenstein or anyone else at Warner Bros. Not sure why Warner Bros would spend the time and money to do a remaster if they felt they could not do their usual excellent restoration job . If this is true you would think the film would be one that they were holding until better elements could be found or new techniques could make what elements exist look better.

I just assumed that the 'restoration' that is shown on TCM has just not had the finishing touches applied that a Blu-Ray would receive.

The heavy lifting has been done. Just needs the final coat of paint and sweeping/dusting/waxing.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I watched the first thirty minutes of it on the TCM app yesterday, and what was shown is certainly not in tip-top shape. Lots of scratches and dirt, and the soundtrack is very hissy. With the film almost three hours, it will be an expensive remaster/restoration.
Thanks Matt --- thats why I asked did Mr F ever say they have the OCN on this or are they looking for better materials

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
At that time Tiomkin was a name the public knew positively, so his name would sell some tickets. Elmer Bernstein was the same in the 1960s and 1970s. His name was big on the posters and ads.

Absolutely. He'd recently had monster-hit scores with HIGH NOON and THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Was DARK VICTORY (1939) made available as a stand-alone release or was it only available as part of the GOLDEN YEAR COLLECTION? I was looking to replace my DVD which I seem to have lost.
It was released separately on June 9th, 2015. Amazon has it in stock.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning I sampled some of the WA titles on HBO Max. The following five titles have introductions:

Safe in Hell
Storm Warning (Martin Scorsese about four minutes long)
The Strawberry Blonde
Land of the Pharaohs (Martin Scorsese about six minutes long)
A Lion in the Streets

There are several Warner titles on HBO Max, but I haven't had time to sampled them except the few titles below.

HBO Max added Confessions of a Nazi Spy without an introduction, but it is definitely derived from a new scan they used for the recent Blu-ray release.

Unfortunately, Rio Bravo on HBO Max appears to be derived from the old scan. So, it looks like the April 17th showing at 8:00 p.m. ET on TCM will be the television debut of the new 4K scan.

"8:00 PM Rio Bravo (1959)- TV premiere of new 4k restoration in partnership with The Film Foundation Features special introduction by filmmaker Martin Scorsese"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks