What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (20 Viewers)

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Looks as though Fandango and American Flyers will be part of WAC’s April slate.

Attachments

• 1B121744-D2FC-4A01-B05F-06E33540D37B.jpeg
    1B121744-D2FC-4A01-B05F-06E33540D37B.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 34
  • FF3DE72E-B942-4466-B2FF-565C503E86DA.jpeg
    FF3DE72E-B942-4466-B2FF-565C503E86DA.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 32

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks as though Fandango and American Flyers will be part of WAC’s April slate.
It's strange that WAC would release two Costner movies in the same month on Blu-ray, yet won't do the same for some of the film icons from the Golden Age of Hollywood. I don't get it, especially with Fandango or American Flyers not being really popular titles to begin with.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are two lame Kevin Costner movies all were getting in March?

Hard to say

As usual, the Amazon preorders appear before Warner even makes an announcement on their Facebook page.

As usual, there is no set date for announcements so as usual, there's always this kind of speculation

I would guess that we might see announcements on their Facebook page today as they do occur around this date each month. At that point, we will know if there are more titles planned. I am assuming there are.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
March or April? Already announced for March are Captain in the Clouds, Brothers Grimm, A Star Is Born (1937).

These appear to be April releases.

Yeah, I said my piece in this post. I hope George doesn't take it personally, but it's disappointing to say the least.

Same here. I hope George doesn't take anything we say here personally. This isn't his fault. Just wish there was a little less confusion over these leaks.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These two Costner movies are showing April 12th as the release date.

Again, I hope George Feltenstein doesn't take our critical comments personally, but two minor 1985 movies starring Kevin Costner, is not something we expected from them. I expected more classic "Golden Age of Hollywood" and/or titles from the 1960s/1970s, and I'm sure most of our membership expected the same.

Also, over the next several days, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a steady stream of "negative" posts, but people are going to express their opinions. I just hope it's done in a respectful manner so that the Warner folks can digest the criticism expressed here without taking it personally.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
These two Costner movies are showing April 12th as the release date.

Again, I hope George Feltenstein doesn't take our critical comments personally, but two minor 1985 movies starring Kevin Costner, is not something we expected from them. I expected more classic "Golden Age of Hollywood" and/or titles from the 1960s/1970s, and I'm sure most of our membership expected the same.

Also, over the next several days, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a steady stream of "negative" posts, but people are going to express their opinions. I just hope it's done in a respectful manner so that the Warner folks can digest the criticism expressed here without taking it personally.
These are 2 movies that I have seen and was not particularly enthralled with so will definitely not be buying them from WAC which for me is unusual as I buy their releases without question but not this time. Captain of the Clouds I am looking forward to very much.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
My takeaway on the two Costner films coming out: The YELLOWSTONE series is really, really popular and so is Kevin Costner because of the series. Maybe the Archive is trying to take advantage of the show's success and hope that Costner's name value might bring in some added customers that aren't a normal part of the Archive buyers. (And will also help them continue the releases we really want).

Just a thought.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Although I have no interest in either of these two movies, I always thought the point of Warner Archive was to release items of lower popularity to those fans that are interested. "Minor" Kevin Costner films, Golden Age classics, cartoons, and TV series would all fall under that category. Some months it's a "no-hitter" for me, some months I snap them up (e.g., next month's A STAR IS BORN and BROTHERS GRIMM). Keeping Warner Archive as a profitable (if not growth) enterprise means appealing to the widest number of our dwindling physical media populace.

(I assume the Warner Bros. business model would also see the Archive recovering some of the costs of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging's restoration and conservation work.)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Although I have no interest in either of these two movies, I always thought the point of Warner Archive was to release items of lower popularity to those fans that are interested. "Minor" Kevin Costner films, Golden Age classics, cartoons, and TV series would all fall under that category. Some months it's a "no-hitter" for me, some months I snap them up (e.g., next month's A STAR IS BORN and BROTHERS GRIMM). Keeping Warner Archive as a profitable (if not growth) enterprise means appealing to the widest number of our dwindling physical media populace.

(I assume the Warner Bros. business model would also see the Archive recovering some of the costs of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging's restoration and conservation work.)
I think that was the original purpose of the archive where they released films based on the best materials they had without any restoration for the group of fans who wanted them on DVD. Since then it has obviously changed to release films after much restoration to look and sound the best they can given available elements and technology. If they can't produce blu rays with acceptable quality, they don't release the films. With the few obvious exceptions only recent movies are released by WHV or now the joint venture with Universal. Everything else is through the archive and/or digital downloads.

As said many times over the years movies from the 30's, 40's and 50's take longer and probably cost more to prep for blu ray release. (Where are "Good Bye, Mr. Chips" and "Random Harvest" to name two. ) The Costner films were probably in good shape and were available. At the time of their release, they probably weren't making prints using the original negative. Even if they did , the films weren't that popular so fewer prints were probably made. Maybe the films will generate some bucks to pay for the film restorations of movies we are waiting for. Doubtful, but you never know.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I read elsewhere that The Two Mrs Carrolls is debuting in March on HBO Max and they only stream in HD, that means another Bogart classic could be coming. Usually what airs on HBO Max has wound up as a WAC title.
Actually, that is not true. There are many, many titles shown on HBO Max that are not Blu-Ray ready

Each month in the HBO Max thread, new titles are discussed, and while they may be in HD, they haven’t been fully cleaned up/restored

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
The two Costner films are ok films. I'm not slamming them. I just was really hoping for some prime 30s and 40s films. They have so many that could use a blu ray release.
Actually, that is not true. There are many, many titles shown on HBO Max that are not Blu-Ray ready

Each month in the HBO Max thread, new titles are discussed, and while they may be in HD, they haven’t been fully cleaned up/restored
In this specific case, The Two Mrs. Carroll, so far, has only been available for streamijg in SD. So, as HBO Max only streams HD versions of films, it’s probably a new transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks