What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (7 Viewers)

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Of the titles you've listed, I could see them using The Dirty Dozen as a "trial balloon", as it's been fairly evergreen on home media, followed by Bullitt. Deliverance has always been a controversial title on home video, as the most recent master attempted to be faithful to the "flashed" look of the film. Dog Day Afternoon is a prestige title for the studio and could make a decent 4K disc, and The Wild Bunch could use a fresh harvest. It all comes down to dollars and cents, and I can't say with any certainty how titles other than TDD and Bullitt would be justified under the business model.
I might be mistaken, but aren't some recent Warner titles like "The Many Saints of Newark" and "Cry Macho" only available on 4K through Warner Archives ?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I might be mistaken, but aren't some recent Warner titles like "The Many Saints of Newark" and "Cry Macho" only available on 4K through Warner Archives ?

Not those two titles, they're released through Warner Bros. Entertainment!

Does WAC handle any new day-and-date titles at all? Had assumed they only handle (mostly older) catalog titles that probably need new remasters (w/ some exceptions where they're just reissuing preexisting catalog BDs that are deemed good enough)...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just happening to be on HBO Max and sampling a stunning 3 GODFATHERS! I would assume that a blu ray of this will be coming this year or next. I love this Ford sleeper. Makes me cry like a baby.
Just rewatched 3 Godfathers recently. I love the movie. It gets better with each viewing. I hope WBA releases it on Blu at some point.
For at least the third time, I took another look at the HBO Max stream and compared it to the iTunes HD digital. They're exactly the same which means if "3 Godfathers" is ever released on Blu-ray, it will be derived from a new scan that will be superior to what we're currently seeing on HBO Max and iTunes.

I'm hoping that George Feltenstein and the other "Warner" powers-that-be, approve a new scan for this fine film so that a WAC Blu-ray will be released this year. I watch this western that takes place on Christmas Eve & Day, every holiday season. It's been my personal Christmas tradition for many years.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not those two titles, they're released through Warner Bros. Entertainment!

Deep Discount has the 4K listed as Warner Archives along with King Richard, The Outsiders,Reminiscence.

They're also filtered in the Amazon Warner Archive new releases

They're also released/sold by MovieZyng which only handle the Allied Vaughn titles. BullMoose has them listed through Allied Vaughn and their std Made On Demand label

Like many HBO titles like Mare of Eastown and Bee Gees Documentary I don't think they're part of Warner Archives proper, but they seem to be separate than normal wide release Warner items (ie they won;t be in store at the typical Big Box stores and may be excluded from the std pricing/sales expected for most releases). I'm not sure what to call them except practically they act like Warner Archive titles

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Deep Discount has the 4K listed as Warner Archives along with King Richard, The Outsiders,Reminiscence.

They're also filtered in the Amazon Warner Archive new releases

They're also released/sold by MovieZyng which only handle the Allied Vaughn titles. BullMoose has them listed through Allied Vaughn and their std Made On Demand label

Like many HBO titles like Mare of Eastown and Bee Gees Documentary I don't think they're part of Warner Archives proper, but they seem to be separate than normal wide release Warner items (ie they won;t be in store at the typical Big Box stores and may be excluded from the std pricing/sales expected for most releases). I'm not sure what to call them except practically they act like Warner Archive titles
I don't think they're part of Warner Archive as Warner Archive Collection isn't mentioned anywhere on the 4K cases. Furthermore, George Feltenstein has publicly stated that Warner Archive hasn't release a 4K title yet. We all know these retailer sites from time to time, do post erroneous information.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
WAC has been something of a strange duck when it comes to labelling. The "Warner Archive Collection" branding on the front appears on the movie releases, but not the TV show releases. The animated releases are a mixed bag. Of the ones I have, Space Ghost & Dino Boy and the Tex Avery collections have the front cover branding, Jonny Quest, The Jetsons, Tom and Jerry and the Popeye collections do not. The only "branding" they all have in common is "wb.com/warnerarchive" on the back cover.

But, as David has pointed out, some titles are apparently distributed as Warner Archive titles, while not actually being part of the Warner Archive Collection (and don't have the "wb.com/warnerarchive" on the back). If I recall correctly, the first 4K title treated this way was the remastered version of Batman v Superman. The only thing that these titles seem to have in common that is different from the usual Warner Home Video release, is the lack of an O-card sleeve on the initial release. At least, that's true of the ones I have: the remastered BvS, The Outsiders, and The Many Saints of Newark. I can't speak to Cry Macho, Reminiscence, or King Richard.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've never been quite sure how to qualify these items (same with the 3D titles) that don't seem to be part of the WAC, but have all the other functional trademarks of the line esp as far as sales and distribution channels. They aren't prepared in any way like the Classic Movie line, but they seem to be part of the Allied Vaughn MOD program like the newer TV sets (Young Sheldon, Longmire, etc), the HBO line, the dozen 3D and now the half dozen 4K.

They are, but they aren't.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Damn, I thought the King Richard mentioned was King Richard and the Crusaders. I literally flew over to Deep Discount! Oops!

Last edited:

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I don't think they're part of Warner Archive as Warner Archive Collection isn't mentioned anywhere on the 4K cases. Furthermore, George Feltenstein has publicly stated that Warner Archive hasn't release a 4K title yet. We all know these retailer sites from time to time, do post erroneous information.
I received an email today from Warner Archives regarding February titles...and they listed "King Richard" in 4K as one of the releases . So perhaps there are some recent WB (4K)titles that are bypassing traditional retail markets, and are only available for sale on the internets,

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Last year I posted a list of 25 titles I suspected might show up in 2017 in the Archives releases. Only one was actually released, which surprised me, although I was happy with many of their titles.

This year, I am listing my favorite non-Blu-ray releases from Warner Bros, MGM and Allied Artists that might actually be under consideration or which I seriously want to see released, with the hope that at least 10% of them will be reach us. We'll see...I could again be way-y off.

If you hate lists, ignore this post, go about your business and enjoy your day.

WARNER BROS. TITLES
Angels With Dirty Faces
Awakening, The (1980)
Baby Doll
Black Scorpion, The
Bronco Billy
Captain Blood
Carny
Countdown (Robert Altman, 1968)
Crimson Pirate, The
Damn Yankees
Dead End
Devils, The
Femme Fatale
Fox, The
Going In Style (1979)
Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, The
I Love You Alice B. Toklas
Julius Caeser
King's Row
Land Of the Pharaohs
Last Of Sheila, The
Late Show, The
Letter, The
Life Of Emile Zola, The
Local Hero
Looker
Midsummer Night's Dream
Mister Roberts
Night Shift
Objective Burma
Oh God
O Lucky Man
Pajama Game, The
Petulia
Prince Of the City
Quick Change
Rachel Rachel
Sea Hawk, The
Straight Time
Sundowners, The
They Drive By Night
White Hunter, Black Heart

MGM
Adam's Rib
Alamo, The (United Artists, but now property of MGM)
Cameraman, The
Canterville Ghost, The
Captain Sinbad
Children of the Damned
Dark Of the Sun
Day At the Races, A
Edge Of the City
Freaks
Great Ziegfeld, The
Green Mansions
Harvey Girls, The
Ivanhoe
King Solomon's Mines (1952)
Les Girls
Libeled Lady
Lili
Mark Of the Vampire
Moulin Rouge (1952)
My Favorite Year
Naked Spur, The
National Velvet
Never So Few
Night Of the Iguana
Patch Of Blue, A
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Queen Christina
Red Badge Of Courage, The
Scaramouche
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
7 Faces Of Dr. Leo, The
Shoot the Moon
Show Boat (multiple versions)
Thin Man, The
Three Musketeers, The (1948)
tom thumb
Village Of the Damned
Whose Life Is It Anyway?
Wild Rovers, The
Young Cassidy

ALLIED ARTISTS
Big Circus, The
Billy Budd
Friendly Persuasion
Giant Behemoth, The
Macabre
Not Of This Earth (may not belong to WB)
Queen Of Outer Space
Rick, Interesting to go back to your original list of 4 years ago and see how many titles have been released by WAC on Blu-ray since then...and how many still need to be released.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Rick, Interesting to go back to your original list of 4 years ago and see how many titles have been released by WAC on Blu-ray since then...and how many still need to be released.

Since 4 years ago, 19 of 42 WB titles have been released on Blu; 17 of 41 MGM's and 3 of AA. Total is 39 of 90, or...a whopping 44%! Not bad. Moral of the story: give it time!

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I'd add Phil Karlson's HELL TO ETERNITY and Richard Wilson's PAY OR DIE! to your AA list.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yeah, I suspect the film’s public domain status may have discouraged them from doing anything with the film at that point. Though it’s quite evident that the Archive is starting to get bolder as far as public domain films with this and Santa Fe Trail last year.
Deep Discount has a date for A Star Is Born!

A Star Is Born
(Manufactured on Demand)
Format: Blu-ray Rated: NR Release Date: 3/29/2022
STARRING: Janet Gaynor, May Robson, Owen Moore, Peggy Wood, Elizabeth Jenns, Edgar Kennedy, William A. Wellman, J. C. Nugent, Guinn Williams, A. W. Sweatt
UPC: 883929790739
ITEM #: 2470523X
DIRECTORS: Jack Conway, William Wellman, William A. Wellman
RATED: NR
GENRE: Drama
THEME: Academy Award Winner
RELEASE DATE: 3/29/2022
ORIGINAL LANGUAGE: ENG
ORIGINAL YEAR: 2011
RUN TIME: 111 minutes
DISTRIBUTOR/STUDIO: Warner Archives
1644711720780.png