What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (5 Viewers)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Deep Discount has a date for A Star Is Born!

A Star Is Born
(Manufactured on Demand)
Format: Blu-ray Rated: NR Release Date: 3/29/2022
STARRING: Janet Gaynor, May Robson, Owen Moore, Peggy Wood, Elizabeth Jenns, Edgar Kennedy, William A. Wellman, J. C. Nugent, Guinn Williams, A. W. Sweatt
UPC: 883929790739
ITEM #: 2470523X
DIRECTORS: Jack Conway, William Wellman, William A. Wellman
RATED: NR
GENRE: Drama
THEME: Academy Award Winner
RELEASE DATE: 3/29/2022
ORIGINAL LANGUAGE: ENG
ORIGINAL YEAR: 2011
RUN TIME: 111 minutes
DISTRIBUTOR/STUDIO: Warner Archives
View attachment 128203
Pre-ordered it with 10 percent coupon came to 21.49! Probably would have come to the same amount when Amazon lists it - happy just to pre-order it - wish Warner's would grace us with a clip - must be pretty doggone great!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Pre-ordered it with 10 percent coupon came to 21.49! Probably would have come to the same amount when Amazon lists it - happy just to pre-order it - wish Warner's would grace us with a clip - must be pretty doggone great!
Here is a title no one has thought of - how about a Blu Ray of Bogart's All Through The Night? Great cast - Lorre, Veidt, Jenkins, Barton McClane, William Demarest, Phil Silvers and the Great One Jackie Gleason and it is all started by a piece of Cheesecake! And many scenes are priceless including when the gang is in the Nazi meeting and seeing Bogart and the gang do the double talk!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just finished watching ICE PALACE which I purchased through the Warner Archive over 10 years ago. An enjoyable but very interesting “un pc” epic with Richard Burton and Robert Ryan. I just noticed it is no longer available on DVD. Could a blu ray forthcoming?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, it's $17.29 plus state tax on Amazon.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here is a title no one has thought of - how about a Blu Ray of Bogart's All Through The Night? Great cast - Lorre, Veidt, Jenkins, Barton McClane, William Demarest, Phil Silvers and the Great One Jackie Gleason and it is all started by a piece of Cheesecake! And many scenes are priceless including when the gang is in the Nazi meeting and seeing Bogart and the gang do the double talk!
Over the years, that particular title has been requested by many of us on this forum. Though, the iTunes HD digital looks really good, I'm sure a WAC Blu-ray release would look significantly better on my OLEDs.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I just finished watching ICE PALACE which I purchased through the Warner Archive over 10 years ago. An enjoyable but very interesting “un pc” epic with Richard Burton and Robert Ryan. I just noticed it is no longer available on DVD. Could a blu ray forthcoming?
I’m fairly certain this one went out of print years ago due to rights costs with the Edna Ferber estate. Too bad- it would look fantastic on Blu ray! Happy that I, too, grabbed a DVD copy while the getting was good. Interestingly, I believe similar issues have prevented home video releases of the 1932 and 1953 versions of Ferber’s novel So Big. Hopefully the Ferber estate and WAC can come to some agreement in the future.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I’m fairly certain this one went out of print years ago due to rights costs with the Edna Ferber estate. Too bad- it would look fantastic on Blu ray! Happy that I, too, grabbed a DVD copy while the getting was good. Interestingly, I believe similar issues have prevented home video releases of the 1932 and 1953 versions of Ferber’s novel So Big. Hopefully the Ferber estate and WAC can come to some agreement in the future.
Correct. Warner lost the rights.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had been one of the lucky ones to order Ice Palace before it was withdrawn from the WAC. I did see it once in 35mm around 1962. Would love to see it again.
Me too as I had the film on VHS and really enjoyed it. From what I remember the film was pulled about a month after WAC released it and I didn't purchase one quick enough.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I picked up a widescreen region 2 Spanish DVD disc of Ice Palace some years ago. It has an English track option and looks pretty good. Maybe there are overseas options.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Watched WAC’s Blu-ray of Beau Brummell tonight and then came here to read HTF reviews and other members’ opinions, but can’t seem to find any.

Has this disc been reviewed on HTF? If so, I’d be grateful if someone would provide a link.

First time viewing it and enjoyed it greatly. Crackling script somewhat based in actuality; lush sets and costumes well photographed; a beautiful cast all in fine form.

The Blu-ray looked and sounded very nice, although some notches shy of Elizabeth and Essex.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Watched WAC’s Blu-ray of Beau Brummell tonight and then came here to read HTF reviews and other members’ opinions, but can’t seem to find any.

Has this disc been reviewed on HTF? If so, I’d be grateful if someone would provide a link.

First time viewing it and enjoyed it greatly. Crackling script somewhat based in actuality; lush sets and costumes well photographed; a beautiful cast all in fine form.

The Blu-ray looked and sounded very nice, although some notches shy of Elizabeth and Essex.
I know Andrew and I have posted our thoughts but I don't know in which thread.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I looked in our database and could not find a review

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Watched WAC’s Blu-ray of Beau Brummell tonight and then came here to read HTF reviews and other members’ opinions, but can’t seem to find any. Has this disc been reviewed on HTF? If so, I’d be grateful if someone would provide a link.
For what it's worth, this is the capsule review I did on my blog:
An ex-soldier (Stewart Granger) has a reputation as a fashionable bon vivant despite having no visible income. He strikes up an unlikely friendship with the Prince of Wales (Peter Ustinov) and although they are genuine friends, he isn't above using the friendship to his own benefit. Based on an 1890 play by Clyde Fitch (and made into a 1924 film with John Barrymore as Brummell) and directed by Curtis Bernhardt (INTERRUPTED MELODY). What would MGM have done without Stewart Granger in the 1950s? Who else could they have used for these period productions like SCARAMOUCHE, PRISONER OF ZENDA, YOUNG BESS, MOONFLEET etc. This gorgeous looking but stodgy historical drama is the least interesting of these vehicles. Possibly because Beau Brummell, at least as portrayed here, was a rather arrogant and unlikable chap. As the female lead, Elizabeth Taylor is merely decoration, used for her jaw dropping beauty. There is some good acting done by the supporting players. In addition to Ustinov, there's Robert Morley playing the mad King George III and in her film debut, Rosemary Harris as Ustinov's mistress. With James Donald, Paul Rogers and Peter Bull.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
For what it's worth, this is the capsule review I did on my blog:
An ex-soldier (Stewart Granger) has a reputation as a fashionable bon vivant despite having no visible income. He strikes up an unlikely friendship with the Prince of Wales (Peter Ustinov) and although they are genuine friends, he isn't above using the friendship to his own benefit. Based on an 1890 play by Clyde Fitch (and made into a 1924 film with John Barrymore as Brummell) and directed by Curtis Bernhardt (INTERRUPTED MELODY). What would MGM have done without Stewart Granger in the 1950s? Who else could they have used for these period productions like SCARAMOUCHE, PRISONER OF ZENDA, YOUNG BESS, MOONFLEET etc. This gorgeous looking but stodgy historical drama is the least interesting of these vehicles. Possibly because Beau Brummell, at least as portrayed here, was a rather arrogant and unlikable chap. As the female lead, Elizabeth Taylor is merely decoration, used for her jaw dropping beauty. There is some good acting done by the supporting players. In addition to Ustinov, there's Robert Morley playing the mad King George III and in her film debut, Rosemary Harris as Ustinov's mistress. With James Donald, Paul Rogers and Peter Bull.
For the record, the WB silent version with Barrymore and Mary Astor is a damn good film. I saw Warner's archive print in '73. Barrymore and Willard Louis as the Prince of Wales are excellent. Astor is very lovely, very lovely indeed.

Last edited:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
This is Edna Ferber, I think they saw shades of "Giant" when they made this film. It has a great cast but,it seems to get slowed down in spots. I felt Carolyn Jones and Martha Hyer were miscast and they needed bigger female leads, like Joan Collins and Dorothy Malone. The DVD was only available for a very short time then pulled for some strange reason. Seems like Paramount had the video release as I had it on VHS........

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is Edna Ferber, I think they saw shades of "Giant" when they made this film. It has a great cast but,it seems to get slowed down in spots. I felt Carolyn Jones and Martha Hyer were miscast and they needed bigger female leads, like Joan Collins and Dorothy Malone. The DVD was only available for a very short time then pulled for some strange reason. Seems like Paramount had the video release as I had it on VHS........
I had it on VHS. It was released by Warner Home video. As its a WB movie and I believe shot in Warner Color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    annefnlys01
    Recent bookmarks