What's new

Want opinions on replacing a Sony STR-V444ES with a HDMI ready receiver (1 Viewer)

jellis86

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel Ellis
Details:

I'm using the 5.1 analog outputs from a Panasonic DMP-BD80 blu ray player into the Sony 5.1 inputs. It is driving Polk RTA 11t front speakers and Polk surround and center as well.

The Sony has a direct 5.1 pre-amp bypass that is used when I play blu ray with any uncompressed audio format. I have set delays on the blu ray so that sync issues have been all but eliminated. I also set the blu ray speaker size to small which creates a crossover freq of 100Hz so the sub woofer gets plenty of action.

I felt using the analog inputs and other tweaks could keep this receiver is use a few more years. It has very powerful amps and plenty of set up options when not using the bypass. So what I'm really missing out on with the 5.1 inputs is ease of connection with HDMI, and DSP of the sound source.

I know sound is a personal issue and everyone thinks theirs is the best.....all I can say is I think this setup sounds pretty damned good. Plenty of earthshaking bass is directed to my Polk sub, and the Panasonic blu ray does a great job of decoding the latest uncompressed sources. Of course with normal DVD and or DVR audio I use the DSP sound modes on the receiver and they sound great too.

So aside from the obvious pluses of a new receiver, HDMI, DSP, etc. Would there be any real sound improvement over my current set up?

I have been looking at an Onkyo TX-SR608 at Newegg for $349.00. Power would be a push since I have the Sony set to 4 ohm impedance to match the 6 ohm of my main Polk speakers, this lowers the output from 120 watts RMS to 100 watts RMS. The Onkyo will handle inputs down to 6 ohm without an issue and it's rated at 100 watts. But I hate to drop the cash if I can't hear a great deal of improvement over what I have now.

Any opinions are appreciated!! Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The biggest thing the 608 would have to offer is Audyssey room correction eq and features like Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. Now, it's the lower 2EQ version and not the popular MultiEQ (like the Denon 1611/1911) but it might still offer an improvement. On the other hand it's quite possible you have stumbled on to a receiver, speaker and room acoustics combination that just happens to be ideal for you. HDMI is real convenient if you have a few source components and often switch between them (a Harmony remote can also help with this) but if you just have a BR player and STB then it's easier to live without hdmi. A lack of proper bass mngnt in the receiver can sometimes be a problem but it looks like it isn't for you.

I have two systems and in my "everyday room" I have an 8 year old H/K 7200, OPPO BDP-83se and Infinity Beta speakers and I'm getting along quite well without an hdmi receiver.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Onkyo for the money is not to bad, but I would also look at Denon and Pioneer as well. It depends on how many sources you have and if that particular model provides enough inputs for you? And it depends if the model you are looking at has the performance and sound quality. But I think that any one of these three brands are better than the Sony!

Currently I am running a Yamaha 995 that is going on 12 years old! I only have one of my HD sources hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI directly because my current HDTV only has one HDMI input. And my old Yamaha doesn't have HDMI or component video. Sure there are ways to live without the HDMI on the receiver but I wouldn't buy a new receiver without it! My way of thinking in regards to choosing a receiver, is to buy the best model you can afford! I do this in order to get more than enough inputs and flexibility to keep the receiver usable and relevant in my HT as long as possible. I am a big believer in getting the best amp section in the receiver that I can get along with performance of the entire unit. I personally own a Sony flagship DVD/SACD player, Bluray player and 50" HDTV so I am not a Sony hater. I could very well end up with another Sony HD display or a Sony Blu-ray player! I however do not like what I see with the basic Sony receiver lineup and not to crazy about the Sony ES line up. I would even not mind getting a Sony ES CD/SACD 100 disc or more changer just to have music ready to play at a moments notice.

Let us know what you end up with and how it worked out for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks