What's new

Wall plates and cables (1 Viewer)

mangymutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hi everyone, brand new member here and very first post.

Just wanted to seek your advice when it comes to setting up a room. Our living room has a renovation going on - walls are in place, that wasn't touched, just the floors and trim all being changed out.

Currently have a 5.1 setup and want to put everything nicely into place during this reno. Never had any wall plates before for all the cables or banana clips before so may move to this. If I'm running speaker cables to one side of the room and adding wall plates to hook everything up that's all good and all. But my wife tends to get tired of having the room setup any one particular way forever and later I know she'll swap the room around.

Then that will means the wall plate I had hooked up for cables on the one side of the room will be meaningless and I'd have to repeat that process back to the opposite side of the room when that day comes. I'm trying to avoid that from happening so plan now.

I was thinking .... do I run my speaker wire, install a wall plate and place my receiver to the one side that I know it's going to be setup up on now, AND run a set to the other side also with wall plates? This way when she does flip the room around I just move the receiver to the new side and plug into the wall plate and wire that's already been setup? I'd have to also put a wall plate at the speaker locations with two different plugs -- one plug for when the receiver's on the one side of the room, and then unplug and place in the second one when the receiver moves to the other side of the room?

It seems complicated, I'm sure there's an easier solution that makes more sense?

Also what should I have setup for the media wall plate --- speaker plugs, HDMI ports (1, 2?), network cable, dsl line, ?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Run speaker wires from every conceivable equipment location to every conceivable speaker location. For example, assuming three conceivable equipment locations, there would be two rear speaker locations for each of the three equipment locations. (This assumes the front three speakers will all be near the equipment and not needing in-wall wiring.) Be sure and use speaker wire rated for in-wall use.

Also, you might need to run a line(s) for the subwoofer.

You'll have to answer your own question about HDMI et al. connections on the main plate. I have no idea what gear you have. If any of it is located away from the main equipment location, then you'll have to add any cabling they require to the mix as well.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mangymutt

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Yeah i figured the wires running everywhere might be the only option. Just dont want the non-use wall to look bad when not in use staring at faceplates. Thinking of 2 keystone faceplates for the bottom that will have hdmi, cat6, optical canle, etc but now im thinking and wondering what happens to the cables on that unused wall though??

If i have the plate on the bottom, where do the cables go up to? They certainly dont just hang out of a plate thats mounted up the wall right? And also, what gets mounted up the wall anyway?? Is it a duplicate plate thats mounted along the bottom? Is it just a passthrough plate? Im confused..

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There’s no way this is going to be pretty.

You’ll have lots of keystone wall plates. For instance for each potential speaker location, there’ll be a keystone plate with speaker wires going to each potential equipment location.

Just occurred to me, is there some closet you could run all the wiring to? That way you could easily connect the wiring you need when you need it

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks