What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Walking Dead Season 8 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
After a not too great start to the season, I've enjoyed the last two episodes much more. I guess it helps that I love Negan and Father Gabriel and both of the actors playing them. I liked getting a little bit of Negan's backstory.

Maybe the episode was a little long but I was glad to see multiple characters rather than the show's more standard move of focusing on a few characters and then not seeing them again for a couple episodes.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
After a not too great start to the season, I've enjoyed the last two episodes much more. I guess it helps that I love Negan and Father Gabriel and both of the actors playing them. I liked getting a little bit of Negan's backstory.

Maybe the episode was a little long but I was glad to see multiple characters rather than the show's more standard move of focusing on a few characters and then not seeing them again for a couple episodes.

I hope they are both “characters you love to hate!”

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Absolutely wonderful episode! Jeffrey Dean Morgan really shined in this one. With only 3 episodes left of this half of the season, I'm betting there's going to be a lot of great stuff coming.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was the best episode of the season so far, despite the overindulgent runtime, because it was the first episode this season that was focused on character instead of action.

Negan and Gabriel made for a great pairing. Gabriel is not focused first and foremost on survival, so Negan's usual bag of tricks doesn't have much effectiveness. And Gabriel, for his part, actually got under Negan's skin at times.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I have really come to hate this show. I mean really hate it.
This series could be SO amazing, but it just has such stupid writing.
Huge budget. Pretty solid actors, some exceptional. Great premise. DUMB writing.

The other thing that is driving me nuts is the BS with the gunplay. The actors are not even shooting blanks anymore. They just giggle their prop guns and they add the sound/flash afterwards. No casings come out. The bolt on the rifles dont even move. So pathetic.
Plus, the terrible writing has people being shot at...point blank, by assault rifles, that cannot seem to even puncture sheet metal.
Or a .50 machine gun at 15 feet cannot take out a jeep? I mean...I know it is "just a show" but that crap is SO dumb and all it would take is to write better scenarios. Arg!

This show. Love to hate it!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Right on. My son and I started watching again this season... just to Mystery Science Theater mock comment on it. It would be perfect fodder for that.

The non-stop back and forth automatic shooting with the flashes and sound added in post is completely ridiculous.

The rally speeches by Rick, the King and others have been absolutely cringe-worthy. They have no impact when delivered to random groups of characters we don't care about. They think they're delivering "I'm Spartacus," but it comes across more like Bluto Blutarsky's "Let's get 'em!"

They went four episodes with no narrative movement and no suspense whatsoever. Just running around pretending to shoot automatic weapons at each other.

The Negan / Gabriel episode was somewhat of an improvement serving essentially as a good 'bottle' episode: meaning they kept the budget down for this one but did a good job of basically framing a two-person play within an interesting box/trailer with dead hands sweeping in silhouette across the windows and grabbing inside. That would have made a good equity waiver one stage piece.... if we gave a shit.

This show was once entertaining for character arcs and some decent suspense, but now it's entertaining as a joke fest of cliche speeches, shameless mugging (by that guy who ran the hilltop), and pointless skirmishes of no re-loading firefights with zero impact either aim-wise, casualty-wise, or emotion-wise.

But we'll stick it out for the laughs.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Um...
So they announced that Morgan is the character that is going to be crossing over to Fear the Walking Dead, and they made the announcement on Talking Dead as if he's going to leave The Walking Dead after this season. So is that a spoiler that Morgan is going to die at the end of this season 8? Fear is an prequel/interquel and I think it's still suppose to be quite a bit behind the current time-frame of TWD, so I'm not sure what to make of it. I thought for sure that they would've had a character appear of Fear that has already died on TWD (Abraham perhaps) but I guess not. Kind of strange.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Um...
So they announced that Morgan is the character that is going to be crossing over to Fear the Walking Dead, and they made the announcement on Talking Dead as if he's going to leave The Walking Dead after this season. So is that a spoiler that Morgan is going to die at the end of this season 8? Fear is an prequel/interquel and I think it's still suppose to be quite a bit behind the current time-frame of TWD, so I'm not sure what to make of it. I thought for sure that they would've had a character appear of Fear that has already died on TWD (Abraham perhaps) but I guess not. Kind of strange.
I don't know what to think of it either. I guess you could say that
Morgan managed to get to California/Mexico for the upcoming Fear The Walking Dead episodes and then back again in between when we've seen him in the first season (after Rick left him) and the third season (when he was crazy living alone and Rick, Carl & Michonne found him). If that's how it goes, it's pretty dumb because I don't quite see why he'd go back and forth across the country. Especially since there wouldn't be much reason for him to return to Atlanta.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's worth noting that the events of the most recent "Fear the Walking Dead" finale strongly hinted that our protagonists would be migrating to Houston. So that's only about 800 miles from Atlanta, as opposed to the 2,200 miles to Tijuana.

The most recent "Fear the Walking Dead" episode ended on day 64 of the outbreak, which is right around when the CDC blew up in the first season of "The Walking Dead". But because time advances so slowly on the mothership, it's only about a year and a half behind "The Walking Dead" chronologically.

My guess is that:
There will be a time jump that aligns "Fear the Walking Dead" with "The Walking Dead". Morgan's son, Duane, was about 13 when we last saw him, and Morgan's next appearance was less than a year later in story time. Recasting is something that the Walking Dead franchise has avoided up until now, so I don't think they'd go that route.

The next opportunity is the six and a half months of story time between "Clear" in Season 3 and his appearance in the stinger at the end of "No Sanctuary" in Season 5. But the events of "Here's Not Here" seemed to eat up most of that time.

So my guess is that something happens during this season that makes Morgan feel he cannot remain in Alexandria. And that starts him heading west.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No offense, but it would help to give some context outside of spoiler text about the contents of a spoiler. I figured it was going to be an early take on yesterday’s episode, so I took a look. Maybe something like, “Spoilers about a possible casting decision.”

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, just ugh. This used to be must watch tv, not anymore. Don't really care if I miss it.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I hate him now. I understand why he's doing what he's doing and it is interesting so that's good for the show but just as a character, I sit there thinking "Eugene, you coward!"

Yes. It's interesting. I don't like his choices so far, but he's one of the only ones with a character arc that could really swing either way, from hero to dead meat. Will he ever overcome his cowardice? That and his Eugene-isms always give me a chuckle.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish Negan or somebody--maybe the girl with the wine--would just say to him, "You are one weird motherf******," or however they want to put it on TV. I wish Dwight had just pushed him off the roof into the walkers. Maybe he and the leader of the trash people can be a couple and he can speak his nonsense and she can speak her fragmented sentences.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I hate him now. I understand why he's doing what he's doing and it is interesting so that's good for the show but just as a character, I sit there thinking "Eugene, you coward!"
I despise "Eugene". Please, somebody just shoot him. And make it a gut shot, let him suffer for a few hours then eventually a head shot.

Most despicable character of the series. Coward, wuss, wimp, and many other words to describe him. I picture Carol (my favorite character) taking him out. :)

Negan is awful, but Eugene just needs to go.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Hey, Coral?"

"Yeah, dad?"

"Tell me your little girlfriend gave you the world's worst hickey, Coral."

"Sorry, dad."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks