1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Walking Dead Season 8

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    I too questioned why Rick didn't just have everyone start firing once Negan surprisingly showed himself. My only guess it that either they were further away from that door than it looked, or to get a more accurate shot they would have to show themselves more and perhaps exposing themselves to unknown shooters from the other side. Either way, Rick randomly opening fire didn't get the job done, so whatever the reason, in TWD world I think them blowing Negan away just wasn't as easy as it seemed, no matter how comically easy it looked to just pick him off. Just tell ourselves, "it's a show, and the show needs Negan alive."

Overall loved the episode. I think last season and Negan's presence has re-invigorated the show for me, after the disappointing season 6. I look forward to what is to come.

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I really wish they would let us know if Negan is gone after this season. I am finally at the point that I might stop watching if he is not going to be killed soon (or at least this season). I don't want to waste another season only to still have him still around.

Even in a story about zombies, I find it too far fetched to believe that Rick's group would not have killed him by now. If the writers made a point that Negan never left the safety of his camp, then maybe. But with him outside of camp a lot of time, then no.

Stan likes this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

My interpretation was that Rick was trying to get Negan's lieutenants to jump ship to Team Rick, so that Negan could be neutralized without widespread killing and destruction of valuable resources at the Saviors' various locations. If they'd opened fire on Negan up on the balcony with them standing nearby, it would have torpedoed the sales pitch.

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Watched the premiere earlier this evening and was kind of asking myself the same question, about why no one just took out Negan when he stood on the balcony. (I realize that the answer is because that would not fit the scripted plot line for the season. :) )

I like Adam's reasoning on the topic, but still it illustrates the fundamental problem with The Walking Dead...

The show will demonstrate a course of action or a physical act in one scenario and then ignore or contradict that action in another. You can take out a sentry with an arrow shot to the head or two guards on top of a building with two shots (from sniper rifles?) but you can't take out Negan with a single shot. Very inconsistent.

While I'm griping - I understand that it was done for cinematic reasons, but the pacing of Daryl's motorcycle sequence with the horde was way off in terms of the timing. The horde would not keep up with the bike, given the velocities we saw on the screen. Admittedly a quibble, but it stood out for me.

In other words, welcome back to The Walking Dead. :)

- Walter.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That was one where I just rationalized it as that he slowed down or stopped off screen for the herd to catch up and when we saw him, he was really moving so he could be a safe distance from the 'bombs' as they exploded and then he'd keep repeating that.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Yeah, it makes sense that Daryl would have stopped or slowed down to allow the horde to catch up. I guess my issue was just how the sequence was presented.

- Walter.

TravisR likes this.
  7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    It’s kind of funny anyway that Rick says, “Only one person has to die.” Negan, obviously. He should have thrown in, “Oh, and the lookouts are toast, too. But the really bad shitheads like Simon? We’ll give ‘em a chance!”

A better answer would be for them to write the scene differently. If you don’t want to take Negan out now, don’t have him exposed at all.

8. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I am confused about the confrontation at the compound. It looked like Negan and friends were just up on a loading dock height, but all of Rick's folks were just shooting at the windows way up high. Was this part of some future tactic? It looked like they were just trying to break out the windows. Or were the bad guys way up on a really high balcony? If so, how did the Hilltop ex-leader and Negan survive falling off?

I thought they showed the door that Negan came out before (in past episodes), and it was just 5 or 6 concrete steps up to the landing.

9. Message #29 of 252 Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, they were shooting the windows. I guess since Negan and company were either hiding or inside the building, the good guys decided to damage their building rather than just shoot cement walls. Breaking the windows might seem a little pointless but if you're an average guy living at the Sanctuary and the windows get broken (and probably can't be fixed- not all of them anyway) that will become a problem when it gets cold and it sends a message that the Sanctuary isn't the untouchable place they all thought it was.

Richard V likes this.
  10. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

So, if FutureRick was a fantasy (due to the soft filter) what do you guys make of the other out of context sequence? The one with closeups of Rick's weary, bloodshot eyes and the stained glass frame hanging from the trees? I suspect this is a flash forward and FutureRick is his thoughts at that point in time. I suspect the war against Negan will go badly but how badly I don't know. Is Rick captured? Is he sitting next to Carl or Michonne's dead body?

To answer someone els'e question - if they told us Negan was out this season it would be a huge spoiler. Also, I'm not sure of the Negan time frame, but in show time I'm thinking it's been about three weeks to a month that they've been under his rule.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, there hasn't been that much time between seasons (Negan wouldn't wait around to strike after last season) so I'd guess Abraham and Glenn have been dead just over 3 weeks and under a month. As crazy as it sounds, the timeline is so compressed that they were still at the prison (at the beginning of S4) less than 4 and a half months ago.

12. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Since the topic came up...

Shooting out the windows is another pretty sloppy element in the premiere. The show had previously spent a decent amount of time on the plot point of Eugene potentially being able to manufacture ammunition for the group at Alexandria. But now ammunition must be so plentiful that we can go through 30 or 40 clips without blinking an eye, just shooting out glass. Just a stupid waste of a precious commodity in the apocalypse.

It seems like anytime the show has to choose between something that is logical or consistent or something that just looks cool, the 'looks cool' path is always taken. I'm still watching but I'm not sure how much longer.

- Walter.

13. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

^^ remember they got the weapons and ammo from that secret camp hidden in the woods.

Going back to my previous comment on the scenes with Rick and the stained glass window and FutureRick being a fantasy of that Rick. In the FutureRick sequence there is someone else there but we don't know who it is yet. Carl alludes to someone other than he and Michonne putting on the Weird Al song. This could be the person Rick is distraught about.

14. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    I liked last nights episode okay, but certain things could have been made clearer to the audience. With so many different groups with varying missions, I never quite know what exactly each group is trying accomplish. Mercifully, Rick and Daryl have a quite dialogue which alludes enough that they are going on info that Dwight has given him and they are looking for big guns. But other than the big picture, they're fighting the saviors, I'm just a little lost on the details that would give more weight to what I'm watching. Where is everyone in relation to each other? Is there an endgame to what they are all doing? Do they have a planned rendezvous? Right now, I'm just kind of going with it and hoping the conclusion of all this will make all the pieces click.

Also, during all the big fire-fights I was constantly confused on who were Rick's group and who were saviors. Too many unrecognizable faces. I would occasionally catch Aaron's face, or that big guy who works with Ezekiel, but whenever I caught a face I knew it would cut or pan away too quickly that I had no idea who the next face was, or if they were firing at or firing with Rick's crew.

TravisR likes this.
  15. Message #36 of 252 Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm not positive but I thought that they were taking out the Saviors' various outposts after causing some havoc at their main headquarters (the Sanctuary) last episode. That way, they get rid of any potential back up for Negan and once they take the outposts out, they can focus their assault on the Sanctuary and getting rid of Negan. As for where each location is, I think it's deliberately unclear so the writers don't paint themselves into a box for anything in the future.

EDIT: I have to say that the shot in the teaser with Aaron firing his gun and smash cutting to the credits was pretty cool.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  16. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Despite being very tired I unwisely started watching last night's episode very late and found myself dosing off several times. Normally I would re-watch the episode under better circumstances but I have to admit based on what I saw I'm not all that interested. Just seemed like a lot of random chaos.

17. SteveSs

SteveSs Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Glad I'm not the only one confused.
    1. Who was being chased by the King and Carol?
    2. It's a good idea to have a tiger with a taste for human flesh roaming around?
    3. Morgan's laser-tag chest protector saved his ass?
    4. What's Daryl looking for?
    5. We're supposed to remember the guy who captured Rick?
    6. And what's with the unlimited supply of ammunition? You'd think explosive or incendiary devices would have been readied prior to the attack.

TJPC likes this.
  18. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

This episode sums up what I imagine the inside of the writing room looks like. Bunch of writers running around firing random ideas around at the same time to see if any of them hit. Then they decide to film them all just in case.

19. Nigel P

Nigel P Second Unit

Nigel
    So I have only just started and finished watching all 3 seasons of Ricky and Morty and every time someone mentions Future Rick in this thread I keep thinking of Rick Sanchez and I want to watch that version of the show.

At least this season hasn't been as dull as the last so far. I agree that much of it doesn't make sense and the most recent episode seemed more like a series of things happening rather than some sort of story I could get behind.