1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Waiting for Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 4K

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by McHugh, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #21 of 42 Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Interestingly, iTunes and Prime use vastly different prints. A spectacularly restored widescreen HD version of A HATFUL OF RAIN is available to purchase on Prime. On iTunes it is SD and pan and scan.
    On iTunes and old widescreen transfer is used for JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. On Prime a beautiful newer transfer is used for JOURNEY.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not sure they are different prints as I don't see the differences you noted. I do know that iTunes doesn't have HDR added to it.

3. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Check out HATFUL OF RAIN. There are so many instances of different prints and also aspect ratios.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I'm just talking about LOA. We know that the different services have messed up aspect ratios such as on Vudu, but are correct on Amazon Prime or iTunes.

PMF and Ken Koc like this.
  5. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Bill Hunt complained yesterday that it appears Sony may limit the 4K UHD release of LoA to streaming media, with no disc release in the planning stages, as far as he can determine. This is much worse than the similar situation with It's a Wonderful Life, at least for me as LoA is among my top five movies. Space Odyssey on 4K Blu was such a fantastic release (once the hiccups stopped), that I've really been looking forward to a similar release of LoA.

From the Digital Bits: "While we’re on the subject of Sony, this is both good news and bad news: Sony has recently made Sir David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia available in 4K... as a digital exclusive (on iTunes, Amazon Prime, and elsewhere). To which we reply: WHAT THE HELL?! The download reportedly doesn’t have HDR, but so what? Sony... what the hell are you waiting for?!

"I do not for the life of me understand the rational of studios like Sony and Paramount (think Star Trek II) quietly dropping some of their best catalog films in 4K as digital exclusives with no fanfare while bypassing physical 4K Ultra HD. There is only one message this sends to 4K fans and it’s loud indeed: Your studio isn’t committed to physical 4K Ultra HD. It makes no sense whatsoever, except that some random studio executive is married to the idea of waiting for an anniversary to release a disc. But damn it, these are some of the most awaited 4K titles! Releasing them as downloads only kills your disc sales! It’s moronic. And it either has to stop, or your studio just need to come out and say that you’re not committed to discs anymore.

"UGH. I really can’t believe this is where we are in 2019. Anyway..."

6. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    I don't understand the shock and anger about this (DB's rant). The writing has been on the wall for a while now and studios see it to. It's just way to easy (and way less costly) to push it out digitally in today's "smart TV" world. I don't understand why folks get so mad about it.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It's not so hard to understand.

One reason is that a lot of people don't embrace certain change as easily as others.

And this being an enthusiast's forum, there are many members here (and at DB) who prefer their films on physical media. That's why they rant (oftentimes as much as those who rant about the virtues of streaming vs. physical media). Different people care about different things.

There are people who have been anticipating a 4k/UHD disc of LoA for a long time now (as many people in this thread have written).

PMF, ShellOilJunior and SAhmed like this.
  8. JQuintana

JQuintana Screenwriter

Johnny
    Yeah no doubt it stink for those who have waited so long, but where we can ALL agree, at least this wonderful movie is still easily available to rent or own in glorious 4K even if it isn't in what some call the "preferred" medium.

As movie fan, we should all be able to agree on that.

Now if they pulled the movie out of circulations COMPLETELY, that would be worth a good uproar. But with it being easily found, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    There is no light for some people as they don't want to stream or are not in the States which means it might not be able to stream we're they're located. Anyhow, we have this same discussion point in other threads and there is no need to go over it again so please stop.

PMF likes this.
  10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Well, I guess one can hope for an international LOA 4K disc release...

PMF, Bryan^H and SAhmed like this.
  11. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Sorry.

I don’t believe that.

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Sony has been among the leaders in bringing catalog titles to UHD disc. That they have a digital version of LOA in 4K doesn’t mean that a disc version might not come.

Blu-ray as a format debuted in late 2006, and LOA didn’t come out on BD until 2012.

UHD Blu-ray as a format debuted in early 2016.

I think it’s too soon to start assuming that LOA or any other title is automatically not coming, based only on the fact that it’s not already here. Who knows, maybe it won’t ever come out on a disc, but the format is still new enough that I don’t think it means anything just yet.

OliverK, Todd Erwin and Bryan^H like this.
  13. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    Different time. I don't disagree with your position especially since I'm hopeful it will come but at the same time the nagging truth is physical media is moribund.

14. Message #34 of 42 Feb 13, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    OliverK

OliverK Producer

All very true Josh. I would bet a sizable sum on us seeing LoA in 4k UHD but we'll have to let Sony decide when that will be.

As for LoA being available on iTunes:
    I do not know where Bill Hunt was in the last 6 or so years but LoA has been available in 4k since 2013 if I remember correctly starting with their 4k Unlimited download service (which I think was a great idea, please give us downloads instead of forcing us to be at the mercy of up and downs in network throughput).
    Since then it has been available on two Sony services, Kaleidescape, Amazon and now itunes, not sure about other services. And as far as I can see this is still the regular non-HDR version. So it is really strange that Bill would write this now when it has been out for such a long period of time through the majority of 4k delivery systems that Sony works or worked with.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  15. Message #35 of 42 Feb 13, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I have great faith in Mr. Harris's opinions; he gives me hope that eventually this film will be released on a 4K UHD disc. I'm glad I have the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray with all the swag in its big box. The current streaming version of LoA is SDR. HDR, especially Dolby Vision, adds a great deal to a 4K release. I would venture that streamed 4K without HDR looks very similar to the Blu-ray disc in a side-by-side comparison, and the audio of the disc would be better, with DTS Master Audio uncompressed sound.

In keeping with the "while we wait" theme of this thread, may I recommend the expanded 1922 "Oxford" version of Seven Pillars of Wisdom? It contains 30% more than the standard text of the book and was meticulously assembled by Jeremy Wilson and published in 1997. Copyright issues have prevented its sale in the U.S., but it can be purchased from the U.K. The hardback versions from 1997 & 2003 are out of print. The 2-volume 2014 paper bound version is still available. It has some final revisions and an improved index. If you've already read the widely available "regular" edition of Seven Pillars, the 1922 version will seem like the extended director's cut. And while it's not in 4K, and lacks Dolby Atmos, it is the best way to understand the Arab Revolt from Lawrence's point of view.

Philip Verdieck, SAhmed and PMF like this.
  16. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Not so strange, I think. Even though LoA has been streaming for several years in 4K, it is really in the past 18 months that 4K displays and 4K Blu-ray players have become common and the release of titles in the medium has been significant. Now, with It's a Wonderful Life released in 4K only on streaming services, we're seeing high-profile films that are not being released on disc. This, and apparently lack of confirmation from Sony of plans to release LoA on disc, may be what prompted Hunt to make his complaint. Checking my 2012 disc release, Sony was boasting then that the Blu was based on 4K mastering.

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I also recommend the 1922. As a huge 7 Pillars fan, I believe I have most original variants, with the exception of an original 1922 copyright edition.

While quite expensive, I believe this is the least expensive means of procuring a Castle Hill ‘22.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13474118658&searchurl=bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26sortby%3D17%26tn%3DSeven%2Bpillars%26an%3DLawrence%26vci%3D51662285&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title1

I presume that Churchill Books bought out the remaining Castle Hill stock. There may also be a downloadable ‘22 version for kindle, as it’s PD.

SAhmed and PMF like this.
  18. Message #38 of 42 Feb 13, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I checked one Kindle version advertised as "1922." It was the abridged 1926 version that loaded to my Kindle.

Thanks for the link to Abe's Books. Mine is the same volume, #488. That's some appreciation!

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    PMF likes this.
  20. Message #40 of 42 Feb 13, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I, myself, would prefer one of those privately printed editions which comes with an Aurens autograph.
    BTW, can anyone loan me $86,000 until my next pay-raise?;)