What's new

Waf? (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, that's no guarantee. A friend of mine had a pretty nice system - Sony CRT front projector, Mirage OM-6 Tower speakers, Def-Tech CLR-3000 - the works, when he was single. He went and got himself married, and due to WAF, I am now the new owner of his FP and Def-Tech, and another friend picked up the Mirages. He's been reduced to a 34" direct-view with those cute mini-monitors that women tend to go for.
That and she'll probably want you to move out of the bachelor pad (home of the sweet home theater) so the kids (oh, there will be kids) will have their own rooms.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
If you're making your own money, spend it any way you damn well please.
clearly typed by someone who is not in a relationship -- or if you are, you gotta let me in on the secret. :)
i actually lucked out. my fiancee let me by all the ht gear over xmas (new tv, sub, receiver, dvd player, etc...). now that's what i call a keeper.
of course we won't talk about how much her ring cost. i just *knew* there had to be a catch. ;)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
He's been reduced to a 34" direct-view with those cute mini-monitors that women tend to go for.
Love me, love my stuff. Tolerate my hobbies if you can't share my enjoyment of them as I tolerate yours. Simple as that. Can't accept it then we're not going anywhere.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
clearly typed by someone who is not in a relationship -- or if you are, you gotta let me in on the secret.
Well, I managed, and I see you did too.

Then again, I didn't try to persuade her into agreeing to a FP setup, I just got a 43" plasma, much better for WAF, and even personally, given the limitations of the living room I think an FP would've been too unwieldy. I did, however, "slip" an SVS25-31 into the setup in the early days, much to her horror when she first saw it. Nowadays, it's just another piece of furniture...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
That and she'll probably want you to move out of the bachelor pad (home of the sweet home theater) so the kids (oh, there will be kids) will have their own rooms.
ok, addendum to my previous post:
3. Make sure to own a house before wedding, thus enabling me to make a case against moving. "But honey, we already own the place..." :D
This may sound naïve, but the way I see it, if we both work, we should both share living expenses, and perhaps contribute equally to a mutual savings account for family expenses. But after the essentials are taken care of, we both should be able to spend our money any way we damn well please. If I have the spare cash to upgrade an HT component, and my obligations to the household have been covered, then I'll buy it if I want to, WAF be darned.
Does that sound reasonable, or will I be sleeping on the couch a lot? :D

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Let's just put it this way, next time your wife asks you to help her couch shopping make sure you get the 7 footer :D and put it in the home theater room ;)
Seriously though a successful relationship is give and take. For couples that have sufficient funds the quid pro quo approach works well (you want $5000 projector, she gets $5000 item(s) she wants). But as others have said, in shared living spaces you do have to make compromises in form over function. Good incentive to build that home theater addition to the house :)
Cheers,
Kenneth

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I've done my best to avoid that particular trap. Come close a couple times, but finally came to my senses.

But if I ever do, it'll be with someone as Jason Els described, "love me, love my stuff." If not, Sayonara.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
This may sound naïve, but the way I see it, if we both work, we should both share living expenses, and perhaps contribute equally to a mutual savings account for family expenses. But after the essentials are taken care of, we both should be able to spend our money any way we damn well please. If I have the spare cash to upgrade an HT component, and my obligations to the household have been covered, then I'll buy it if I want to, WAF be darned.

Does that sound reasonable, or will I be sleeping on the couch a lot?
That could work if both parties have similar incomes but that's rarely the case so it wouldn't be fair if you made twice what your wife did but equally contributed to the monthly expenses. Now if you both pooled your money and then gave each other $??? each month to spend as you like I don't see it being a problem what you spend your money on.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I've done my best to avoid that particular trap. Come close a couple times, but finally came to my senses.
But if I ever do, it'll be with someone as Jason Els described, "love me, love my stuff." If not, Sayonara.
Funny how you can pick out the single people by what they post. :D Marriage is all about give and take. If you want everything your way, stay single.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Part of the "compatibility" aspect of relationships is finding someone with similar interests as yourself. If having an HT is of that much importance, then my suggestion is to find a woman who likes HTs, or is at least accepting of them.

I would not be as rigid as saying "my way or the highway" and I am certainly capable of compromise. But part of what makes it so easy in my marriage is having a husband who understands and accepts my hobbies. And I do the same. If it were any different we probably would have just deemed ourselves "not compatible" early on and probably wouldn't have gotten married, just because our major hobbies are that important to us.

Of course it is not necessary to share every single hobby and interest, but for major things, it helps. Find a wife that accepts your hobby. Believe me, we are out there.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
There are easy going, non-high maintenance women out there amigo. I met many in college, church, and even on the internet. Never tried a dating hookup site but they're getting more popular.
www.womeninprison.com

Pamela

Supporting Actor
WHERE????
Yes, we are out there. We love big speakers. We love spending money on large, shiny electronic objects. SACD. DVD-A. TiVOs. iPods. Bose? Not on your life! Subwoofers? Hell yeah! Yes, we are out there. :D
You just need to look a little harder.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My wife recently went to a gaming convention with me. Not only did she attend, but she also waited in line for three hours with me to get a voucher for a convention exclusive statue. Then, when the convention hall opened, I had to go play in a tournament, so she stood in line for another hour to actually buy the statue.

Best wife ever.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I hope all the Private Messages of marriage proposals flooding Pamela's Inbox after these last few posts don't crash the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks