What's new

Everyday listening setup (1 Viewer)

aard

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
Hi. I have a surround sound setup but I dont wish to use it for everyday listening. I just turn it on for movie nights. I was wondering what other people do in this situation. Do people generally use a separate soundbar? Do they just use the centre channel speaker in a mono configuration? Do you find that having a centre channel speaker and a soundbar starts to get a bit ugly (and hence the WAF goes down).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you referring to the same room, or systems in different rooms?

I actually just use the good system all the time. Even in the bedroom, though that system is only 3.1. It’s no big deal to just use the receiver for sound all the time.

aard

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
Are you referring to the same room, or systems in different rooms?

I actually just use the good system all the time. Even in the bedroom, though that system is only 3.1. It’s no big deal to just use the receiver for sound all the time.

Yes, it is for the same room. I am running it with 30 year old Class A biased amplifers that take about 3 x 600W and it isnt good for them to run all day. So am looking for best option for easy listening on the same TV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, it is for the same room. I am running it with 30 year old Class A biased amplifers that take about 3 x 600W and it isnt good for them to run all day. So am looking for best option for easy listening on the same TV.
Yeah, that would change things just a little bit. ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This was posted in the forum help section, so nobody will see it. I'll ask a mod to move it to the General Questions section.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, that would change things just a little bit. ;)

Winter will be here soon enough. You might as well wait a bit so you don't need to get the furnace firing... :lol:

For music, maybe go w/ a good pair of headphones and possibly dedicated headamp? OR maybe an affordable pair of powered mini-monitors (maybe even Bluetooth enabled, if you want), if you need it for more than just you.

Personally, I don't see much point in spending on soundbars, especially given what you're probably used to. Then again, some do seem to find such moves to be good antidotes to the audiophile obsession... :D

IF WAF is really a big issue, maybe you could even consider going w/ wireless headphones for much of this instead -- I've warmed to such more recently for more casual listening, especially on-the-go.

_Man_

Last edited:

aard

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for your feedback. Its good to hear your thoughts on soundbars. I love my surround sound setup for music, as 5 channels with full size speakers gets you ready for the weekend after a long week of work.

I am wondering if headphones for normal TV watching would be too weird. Not so good for visitors either :)

aard

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
... Just to add

If I use the full system occasionally then I get that buzz like its new every time. Otherwise can get a bit used to it and lose some of the thrill that it brings.

I gave my sports car to my wife for this reason. I then got the thrill of it when she let me drive it again.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for your feedback. Its good to hear your thoughts on soundbars. I love my surround sound setup for music, as 5 channels with full size speakers gets you ready for the weekend after a long week of work.

I am wondering if headphones for normal TV watching would be too weird. Not so good for visitors either :)

Heh... maybe... Maybe go w/ open air headphones -- they're usually better anyway...

Of course, you can always default back to either the TV's anemic speakers or some (easily enough) reduced combo of your current HT audio when you have guests...

OTOH, isn't everyone already wearing and used to BT headsets 24/7 usually "tethered" to their iPhones anyway? :lol:

_Man_

aard

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
you are so right. I have been avoiding BT headphones, but I should embrace it. I am making that the best idea yet. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks