What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's set between 1 and 2, so....

I know it's not HL3, but it's still Half-Life. It's like saying Disney doesn't expect people to go see Rogue One because it's not Episode VIII.

Still doesn't change the fact that they are not telling people to do anything. If someone wants to play Half Life 1.5 badly enough to spend a whack of cash on the hardware to do so then that is all personal choice. Would I try this game if I had the gear already? Probably. Would I spend 4 Grand just to play HL1.5? Not likely; however, someone else may feel differently and they wouldn't be wrong if they wanted to spend their money to play it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No entertainment company has ever "told" people what to do. However, they have always said "if you want to enjoy this thing we made, here's what you'll need to do." For Half-Life: Alyx, that means dropping a couple grand on a computer setup. That's a bit ridiculous. I could understand if it was a 2 hour demo to show off how good the Index is or something but they're either setting themselves up to fail (by having such a small market of people who will actually shell out all the money needed for this) or they really do expect people to buy all that.

Frankly, I see it as being along the same lines as Sony pricing the PS3 at $500 at launch or the 3DS coming out at $300. It's kind of arrogant.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I see it as being along the same lines as Sony pricing the PS3 at $500 at launch or the 3DS coming out at $300. It's kind of arrogant.

I guess the perception of value is a relative thing. Out of all of the consoles that I have bought, before or after, the 650 dollars that I spent on my almost launch day PS3 was the best money I ever spent on a "game box". I still have it, even though I do not use it much these days.

I could only have wished for SONY to have done a repeat performance with the PS4 and 4K Blu-ray support, with the software upgradeability that PS3 had. It would have saved me having to pay 350 dollars for the Samsung 8500 4K player (with quite possibly the shittiest remote ever invented) that I had to spend on top of the 450 that I spent on a PS4.

Nope. To get 4K "support", I had to buy another PS4; the PS4 "Pro" and it still didn't support 4K Blu-ray. Now, that is "arrogant" in my book.

Some people, who have been waiting 20 years for anything Half Life, may think 2 grand is a bargain to play. Me? I would at least wait for reviews telling me (if I was a Half Life fan) that HL nirvana had been reached and that it was not to be missed at all costs before spending money on the hardware to play it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How is it arrogant for Sony to sell a console that expressly does NOT have a feature you want, exactly?

My point was that releasing something at a ridiculously-higher-than-normal price is an arrogant business move. I don't think selling the PS4 Pro without a particular feature is quite the same.

The fact that a $400 Oculus Quest headset with a $20 USB-C cable can technically be used to play HL:A but you still need to upgrade your computer to do so is...ridiculous.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
fLFDUTU71gJWLD2sdiOuNfLtOC7pLiSClDScL12Xxjo.jpg

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
That's the risk of VR, you could look like an idiot. I had a ton of fun playing Pistol Whip at a friends place on Friday. I really felt like John Wick, even if I looked like an idiot :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The video is actually a bit misleading. Technically, you could create a similar effect by just warping the perspective so that the FOV appears wider than it is. For example, if a VR headset only has a 90 degree FOV then you could just have a warped image that appears to show, say, 120 degrees of FOV within the 90 degree coverage. Imagine something like a fisheye lens effect. Some games may already do this so that the player can keep their focus on the center of the image while still getting important information in their peripheral vision, but I really don't know.

That said, a bigger FOV will certainly help with immersion, just not in the way that video demonstrates. I think the bigger issue with VR FOV right now is the limited horizontal angle rather than the vertical angle, so a better way to simulate that in regards to the video at that link would be to chop off the sides of the image only, not to zoom in on the center.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Normally I'd be saying "Ah hell yeah, I'm totally in!!!!" at this announcement, as I've been waiting a long time for this.

But then they had to go and do this, which immediately changed that to a "Awwwww, hell no!".

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/?locale=en_US
Wow that's a nasty hook on their part. I personally wouldn't like to use a device like that because of the graphics, so i'm more concerned with it connected to a PC in the first place. The larger concern I have is moving from an OLED to conventional LED display will dramatically worsen contrast.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are 2 reasons I'll probably never get an Oculus: I don't have the PC to run it and I have a LOT of issues with their parent company.

That said, I welcome any and all progress being made in the realm of VR and hope it leads to everyone moving forward competitively and (hopefully) some better form of standardization.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks