1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3D FandangoNOW is Now Offering 3-D Movies on Oculus VR Headsets

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by VaporTrail, Sep 28, 2019.

1. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Extra

Bill
    Here's an article about it: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/fandangonow-oculus-3d-movies-vr-go-quest-1202176602/

FandangoNOW is a streaming service region-locked to USA, so can't offer my thoughts on their 3D selection nor encode quality. Might peek at it with a VPN sometime...

Anyway, if you have an Oculus VR headset this is a legal/less fiddly way to watch 3D movies without the need for expensive specialty home theater equipment or hard-to-find disc imports.

With close to a million new Oculus headsets sold in the past year, there might just be enough market interest to keep a growing list of 3D titles on the service.

Would love to know if Bob Furmanek has heard of FandangoNOW, and knows if some 3-D Film Archive restorations have made their way to it?

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm all for new ways to get 3D movies out there, but I just don't have any desire to watch them through something like that instead of a screen. I don't usually listen to music with headphones either.

VaporTrail and TonyD like this.
  3. Message #3 of 3 Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    VaporTrail

VaporTrail Extra

Bill
    Thanks for responding Jesse.

For me it's not just about one experience that is arguably better with $5K-$10K worth of home theater equipment, it's about the diversity of fun things to do without the exorbitant expense.

With a $400 headset I can fish scenic lakes filling a wall-sized fish tank, DJ for crowds with pro gear found in top clubs, sculpt giant structures that I can climb and para-sail off of (then 3D print), go to unparalleled gun ranges and test dozens of weapons with unlimited ammunition, and yes, watch 3D films on a giant cinema screen without the need for sunglasses.

How much would it cost to do these things in the real world? I think it's a fair trade-off for wearing headphones. Heck, I don't even use headphones. The headset has built-in binaural speakers that are tucked out of sight.