1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think the path to mainstream success for VR is tied tightly to a platform using it as a pack-in device. For example, motion control "caught on" with the Wii because it was included. It didn't catch on as PS Move because it was an add-on. Kinect was a massive success even though it sold to a very small portion of Xbox owners, and look how Kinect 2.0 turned out.

The gaming market may be large, but not for an expensive device that requires specific hardware and only plays specific software. A lot of people will buy a Nintendo Switch and 2 or 3 games total. A lot of people will buy a PS4 and turn it into a bluray machine (which is a poor decision for multiple reasons, but that's beside the point). And others will buy an Xbox just to play Call of Duty with their friends. But how many would buy a VR setup at all? Probably very few...unless it's packed in.

As it is, most people/households don't even have a dedicated gaming system. VR isn't taking off on PC to the level the industry probably wants. So if the alternative is something like the Oculus Go (untethered to a console or PC platform) then...I just don't think people will buy it. I know it's more anecdotal, but I'm trying to imagine if there's anyone in my life that would buy a VR headset of any sort besides myself and I can't really think of many. Non-gamers will definitely not buy one, casual gamers won't, and not even all of the hardcore gamers would. Again...unless it was packed in with something else like the PS5 or XBTwo.

I do appreciate the tech and I love my PSVR and look forward to what Sony does with PS5 VR, but I see VR as always being a sub-niche under the bigger gaming market.

2. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Yeah it's the classic chicken and egg problem. Main developers don't support it yet because the install base isn't there, and the install base isn't there because the main developers don't support it. That being said, I think given that situation, VR has been a tremendous success so far and the backers are doing everything they possibly could to get this technology to catch on. It's still early tech, and it seems to show no signs of slowing down any time soon.

Yes, this is a terrible decision. They should get the PS3 for that. :D

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Honestly, I'm not sure the lack of developer support for VR is the reason it won't go mainstream. I really just don't think a decent number of consumers care that much about VR as an entertainment source.

Keep in mind, I'm considering "mainstream" to be like 50% of the public. Almost everyone has a smart phone and almost everyone plays some sort of game on it at some point, but how many people would buy a controller for their phone or a Samsung Galaxy VR kind of add-on? How many people have a game system in their house at all? And how many people are willing to buy a VR device, even a self-contained one, and use it enough to enjoy the content then become regular customers to that product?

The required processing power means VR will always be a niche on the side of gaming but not a core focus of it. Which is fine, since it's still going to be big enough to generate revenue/profit and encourage new developments.

4. Message #264 of 279 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    Every (consumer) VR manufacturer I've read about has been disappointed with sales. Even the ones that sold a lot of units, by my judgment of "a lot", said sales were below expectations. Development costs must be high. I think that's partly why we're seeing so much stuff thrown out there, to see what sticks. Looking for the next VHS, LCD, etc. (I mean "winners", not necessarily the "best" technology), but it'll probably be more like an Apple-Android thing and things will co-exist and perhaps inter-play. Just gotta get something good enough that people want to play it, in masses. And half-decent VR just can't be dirt cheap, everybody knows that, especially for wireless. (Can't you get a new basic PSVR headset for $150? That seems fairly inexpensive for toe-dipping...and a pretty good deal to me.)

What brought my comments yesterday was, coincidentally, just the day before I had "done the rounds" of the local gaming emporiums, something I do maybe once or twice a year. Saw some people I hadn't seen for years, and except for one store manager, I'd say all these people were less than half my age. So I figgered they'd know the score... Zero interest in VR, and quite obviously only a little more VR experience than that. Since selling is their business, I can look around the stores and judging by the stock see that VR is not pulling in big coin. They don't care about VR personally, nor professionally. It would help interest if people could demo VR gear more readily around here...but as I recall Sam pointing out some time ago, that's just gross.

[And yes, the PS3 is far more slick as a BDP than the PS4 is. :)]

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  6. Jeff Cooper

^This. This is the hurdle they have to overcome. I'd say a majority of the naysayers of VR are people who haven't tried it yet. I heard extremely few cases of people trying it and saying 'nah, it's stupid'. It's just something that cannot be described or shown without having the actual headset on itself. That's how you win customers.

The next factor would be motion sickness. I think they're starting to make great strides in this area though, and as processing power continues to rise, this factor will be mitigated the best they can. There are people out there though, that just simply cannot play due to the sickness issue.

7. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    Funny...my main original "deterrent" to VR was I don't like wearing stuff on my head. Especially something like a tight/heavy "helmet". Of course it's nothing like that, but that's what I had in my mind. Not only do I barely even notice the headset, I have also started wearing the odd hat. VR improved my fashion! GQ is next.

Sam Posten likes this.
  8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Hell I don't even want my roommates using mine cause he sweats all over it. I am cautious to only demo to coworkers for max 10-15 minutes at a time and clean with a paper towel in between.

The roomie liked it so much he just ordered his own.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've shown off my PSVR to a bunch of people, usually with Batman Arkham VR. Every single person who has seen it thought it was cool. And absolutely none of them have gone on to buy one. In fact, only a couple people even owned a PS4 or ended up buying one.

There's a bit of a difference between "I have no interest in VR" and "I'm not going to pay $400 to own a VR system" and "I do not have enough interest in owning a VR system at all." There are plenty of things that people think are cool and worth the money but they still won't buy.

EDIT: I'd actually like to add that the response we're talking about here (online forums, game stores) is really just a bubble. We're sensing the temperature of some very specific rooms and not looking at the bigger picture. What a particular group of people says on HTF or at your local game store isn't indicative of bigger cultural trends. Looking outside of that group, interest in VR is minimal. I actually feel like a lot of people see VR as being similar to 3D: it was a trend, it came, it did it's thing, and now it's time to move on.

10. Message #270 of 279 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    ^ I get what you're saying, but you may (or not...) be surprised by the number of PSVR users who had never heard of 3D BD (which PS4 plays). It had no market penetration into the age groups that marketers covet. The demo who don't play BDs. So that (partly) explains that.

And the people I was talking to are that "bubble" who you'd think would have the most interest, but they don't. Speaking of the PSVR again, seems to be a lot of families who get it (regardless that it's not for people under 12 ;)), and everybody joins in. I have no doubt that cost is a barrier. Younger people have many expenses to balance, and doing what your friends do is more important. If your best friend got a VR headset, you're more likely to get one too, if possible. I can see this sort of thing being more popular on campuses, where the cost of a headset etc. is much easier to conceal/bury/fool the parents/etc.

Edit: It's true that motion sickness, or some significant discomfort in VR, is a real thing. I thought it would be rare, not even worth considering. Very wrong. Luckily my sense of balance (or whatever causes probs) is so bad that my ignorance was unmoved by my VR experience. But I learned otherwise from the first person I recommended PSVR to; he didn't last a half hour, and had no inclination to become acclimated. (They did take his headset back, amazon, Best Buy in Canada wouldn't have. Sam beware.)

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Black magic wizardry. Can't wait till Quest gets this update.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Hey BTW the Oculus Go is $159 on Amazon Prime day. Don't do it. Save your money and buy a quest.

15. Jeff Cooper

I don't know what the hell he was expecting, but I would never in a thousand years think any VR unit would equal or replace any kind of 2D gaming system. It's a supplement to that market, not a replacement. And it's still in it's infancy. It get's more exposure every day, and sales are going up according to that article.

Just sounds like his sales expectations were set waaaay too high. :rolleyes:

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think McCauley's point in that CNBC article was more that VR is great but people need to be realistic about what it is. Even gaming consoles, which are considered "mainstream" products, are still relatively niche and have a pretty low software attach rate, so what should we really think will happen with VR and AR?

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  18. Jeff Cooper

19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten