What's new

VR discussion: Oculus Rift, Vive, Morpheus and more! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I loved the idea of a standalone camera-less unit that the original Quest provided. But I told myself I'd wait for the 2nd generation for the resolution/framerate/processing power bump.

But there's no way in hell I'm signing up for facebook. I don't trust them like even the smallest atomic unit bit. There will be an alternative at some point, and I can wait for that. Judging by the comments on their original tweet about it, I'm not even close to being alone.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I loved the idea of a standalone camera-less unit that the original Quest provided. But I told myself I'd wait for the 2nd generation for the resolution/framerate/processing power bump.

But there's no way in hell I'm signing up for facebook. I don't trust them like even the smallest atomic unit bit. There will be an alternative at some point, and I can wait for that. Judging by the comments on their original tweet about it, I'm not even close to being alone.

That's certainly fair and I don't blame you one bit. I was leaning towards that myself but my resolve is weakening.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Most reviews of the OQ2 seem positive but one I read yesterday basically said the entire design of the unit was about cutting corners to nickel-and-dime the consumer, like the head strap and battery suck but there's a $130 upgraded strap with a battery extension. Add in all those add-ons and the price isn't quite as appealing, anymore.

And also the Facebook stuff.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Most reviews of the OQ2 seem positive but one I read yesterday basically said the entire design of the unit was about cutting corners to nickel-and-dime the consumer, like the head strap and battery suck but there's a $130 upgraded strap with a battery extension. Add in all those add-ons and the price isn't quite as appealing, anymore.

And also the Facebook stuff.

Would that happen to be this one by any chance? :biggrin:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...he-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Hah, wasn't trying to call you out for no link, just thought it sounded very similar and wanted to know if it was the same. Seems to be like you said, most reviews are positive with that sole exception.

Kinda seems like they just have an axe to grind with facebook, which of course, I don't blame them at all for.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I mean, the Ars review does point out that getting all of the decent QoL upgrades for the Quest 2 brings the price above what they had for previous generations. I know that it's turning the entry-level experience into the top-tier one, and I think the idea to have one core headset that you accessorize (versus a portable one, a PC-based one, a higher-tier one, etc.) is great, but the impression does come across as "we cut out all the really good stuff to make you feel like it's a better deal....oh and we sell your info."

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Ars article is not getting much support from other reviewers and the author has already backtracked on at least one of his mistaken claims.

Again, I fault nobody if they eschew Oculus because of FB's misdeeds. This is entirely a valid position. One I held loosely and still chose to buy a launch OQ2. I hate using FB and hate what it has done to brainwash my otherwise presumably reasonable friends and neighbors. Boycotting Oculus tho isn't going to change anything about FB and there are no other competitive inside out untethered displays that can match OQ1 let alone OQ2.

The price drop is necessary in order to broaden the base of consumers in the Oculus ecosystem. The choices made that enable that price drop are reasonable and can be improved upon in future generations.
Killing the rift line and going full steam on Quest is necessary to build the base and consolidate development
The add on accessories are reasonably priced for those who want them and there will be lower cost 3rd party alternatives, in the case of the case, there already is.

Overall I think we will look back at the Ars article with the same amount of derision as we do Slashdot's take on the original iPod.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone know where I can get an occulus go controller? Mine busted and can’t seem to find any.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The Ars article is not getting much support from other reviewers and the author has already backtracked on at least one of his mistaken claims.

Was it about there being fewer IR sensors in the controller than the Q1 controller? I haven't gone back to the Ars review, but another one I was watching after reading the Ars review put both controllers under an IR light so you could see the sensors firing and there were clearly the exact same number in both controllers.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quest 2 is here. Box is smaller and lighter than I expected.

3D70047A-D9D1-484F-BF18-E737DB14067B.jpeg

Screen door is much improved but still present
Strap is way worse
Immediate smudge on lenses never had that issue before gotta find a lens cloth microfiber

Terrrrrible new user experience!
Immediate drop to 2 big ass system updates taking 20 minutes also note only came half charged

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks