What's new

Vote for films to be released on DVD at TCM's Database (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Jim here. This is clearly a case of ballot-stuffing, and let's face it - one fan with an a lot of time can just get a lot of quick email accounts and keep voting. I don't know how TCM could fix it, but it is rather sad. :frowning:

Danny Burk

Second Unit
I'd like to see more Bette Davis titles coming out, but it does sound like something's amiss here.

FWIW, LETTY LYNTON is the Holy Grail of Crawford films, but I rather doubt that as many voters are "in the know" about this film as the votes seem to indicate! For those who don't know, this title has been off-limits for MGM and successive owners to screen since the mid-30s. After the film's original release, there was a lawsuit against MGM, who allegedly plagiarized a novel or screenplay (can't remember which). MGM lost the suit, and as part of the settlement, agreed never to show the film again. Of course, 70 years later, it would seem that an agreement with the heirs could clear the rights if Warners really wants to do it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Or, it could just be a forum or site dedicated to Bette Davis found out about TCM and was encouraged to vote, just like we are doing right now.

Jason

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Anything is possible, but I tend to doubt that there is a computer site out there with more Bette Davis fans, than there are African Queen fans here at HTF, and we can't even get it into the top 10.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Okay... Here's the scoop.

I decided to try voting multiple times for the same film using a few bogus email adresses and it worked. Apparently you can vote as many times as you can come up with an email address (valid or not).

Is this definite proof that there was ballot stuffing? No. But given the results of this top 10 it's highly likely to say the least.

Now in all honesty in my desire to get my favorite films released on DVD, I was tempted to keep this info to myself and spend this morning bumping up all of my picks but I decided against it. ;)

What I did do was send an email to TCM to inform them of the flaw in their voting system and suggested that they first wipe the slate clean, then restrict voting to members of the website and record votes that match said members accounts. What they do with the info is up to them but from my view this poll is a joke.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you Jim, and I'm half way tempted to find some film even more obscure than Letty Lynton, and get it to #1 just for the hell of it. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

Yeah the same thought crossed my mind to bump something of the caliber of say Santa Claus Conquers the Martians to the No. 1 spot to show how useless this voting system really is. ;)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
They should log IP's and restrict any multiple vote for one movie from the same computer.

Also... Each Dawn I Die, guys - c'mon!!!

:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Well you don't need any help from us Marco as long as you have a few hours free you can get this up to the No. 1 spot all by yourself. ;)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

The problem is, IP addresses identify network connections, not computers. Anyone who still has dial up (and there are millions of them) could vote multiple times just by disconnecting and reconnecting over and over until they run through all their ISP's IPs. Anyone with WiFi in a neighborhood with multiple, unsecured WiFi access points could vote multiple times -- if they were really determined, they could go war driving around town and cast hundreds of votes. Meanwhile, people who share a single internet connection -- families, office workers, college students -- wouldn't be able to vote if anyone else on that connection had already voted for that title.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Wonder how many times we've walked past each other on the same row at Best Buy without ever knowing it...he he...

How's this for freaky--my son's name is Cameron! [cue music from TWILIGHT ZONE]

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I voted for
"A SUMMER PLACE"
"THAT MAN FROM RIO"
"FLOWER DRUM SONG"
"PARRISH"
I WANTED TO VOTE FOR BUT, THERE WAS NO WHERE TO VOTE,
"WOMAN OF STRAW"
"VALLEY OF THE DOLLS"

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Sounds like a multiple personality situation to me. Has anyone ever seen the two of you in one place at the same time?
;)
Doug

paul_goz

Agent
The Devils is available from TCM, as I my coppy came over the weekend, but the transfer is not very good................IT IS UNCUT however, and includes the rape of christ scene!!!

What a great film I'd forgotten how good it really was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks